How can we improve Microsoft Azure Lab Services?

VM startup/shutdown process dependecies

I would like to have a option to tell VM Lab to start machines in a certain order and wiat before starting another machine in the chain before some other will be up and running. (chaining) same for shutdown process.

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Michal Furmankiewicz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Antonio Blanco commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I can add some more scenarios as well. I work at a dotnet shop, and in some of our systems use Microsoft products like SharePoint OnPrem or BizTalk.

These systems like to be started in certain orders. For example, in BizTalk, there is a specific startup sequence of core services required for BizTalk to function properly. If all of the virtual machines in a BizTalk instance start up at the same time, it causes issues, so we have long ago adopted the practice of starting these systems in certain systematic order.

SharePoint OnPrem has similar dependencies, as the entire system is booting up, some core services need to be started "first" otherwise dependent services will start causing a ruckus.

This is an advanced ask, but allowing us some way of creating or orchestrating such a process would enable us to use these features in our advanced scenarios.

• Cian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I have a list of VM's some have dependencies on others, for example, my DC needs to load first, followed by by DB servers and then by the remaining other Servers and clients.

Feedback and Knowledge Base