How can we improve Microsoft Azure Lab Services?

Attach an existing resource group to a DevTest Lab

We have existing resource groups with test environments. We would like to add them to a DevTest lab so that they are managed by the DevTest policies.

150 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Marcus Robinson shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We intended to use the option with our many D365 FOR OPERATION test, setup or training environments (on partner subscription deployed on company owned Azure subscription; don't confuse with the D365 FOR OPERATION subscription variant). Every developer, consultant or team has a few of those environments. To keep the Azure costs in control we like to benefit of DevTest labs. Currently, the shutdown timer reduces costs, but yet to less control anyway. Initial deployment has to be done by the Microsoft LCS website and after deployment moved to the DevTest labs. Rename the D365 VM and/or endpoint is an issue, not supported and will break the D365 environment. Every (dedicated) environment is deployed one a dedicated resource group.

• Chris Curatolo commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

auto start/shutdown capabilities and assigning lab users as well as creating reusable bases would be the 2 I am most interested in.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

we are trying to adopt the devtestlab features as this feature helps for adoption

• Raji commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are exploring the features of DevTestLab , want to know if the existing resource groups can be imported to devtestlab.

Is this feature integrated now in devtestlab?

• Matt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Auto-shutdown and other policies are nice, but to me the real value of DevTestLabs (and therefore why I might want to migrate something else in to it) is in the following:
    1) DevTestLabs is a useful logical container for resources- sort of like a resource group group. I love that I can go to the Azure portal click on a specific DevTestLab and see everything related right there.
    2) DevTestLabs simplifies creation of and additions to small environments by hiding much of the flexibility that exists in creating and extending VMs, RGs, vnets, etc. DevTestLabs uses reasonable defaults and thereby simplifies environment creation/extension.

• Joel Carter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am pretty new to DevTest so don't know all the policies, but the one I'm looking for now is the reliable Auto-start/Auto-shutdown of VMs.

Thanks, Joel.

• Eric Dupuis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm only interested in auto-start and auto-shutdown policies. VM size, per user, per lab doesn't apply to me since I'm the only person on the subscription.

Feedback and Knowledge Base