Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Give the ability to assign Lab Admin through Teacher portal

It would be great to give the teachers the ability to give other teachers admin access to particular labs in the azure labs admin portal, otherwise this needs to be done in Azure Portal through RBAC roles.

A lab account can have multiple labs and the lab creator role works well but for teachers who don't need to create labs but still be an admin, there's a role gap for this use case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Show virtual machine total running time/usage in virtual machine view

Teacher's want to see the full running time a student runs their lab including scheduled time and out of hours to see if they're actually active and running the labs.

In the virtual machine view, it only shows the quota time used. This is helpful but not helpful when the student just runs the lab during the scheduled time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Save button not available on this page after filling out form.

When I fill out the form on the auto-shutdown page, you should make the save button available to click.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Configure RDP file settings at lab or VM level

We need the ability at the lab and maybe even VM level to be able to configure what is in the RDP file that is downloaded. We do use the RDP gateway in the lab and it is creating the RDP file but we also want to configure it so that we can add\update settings such as "audiocapturemode", etc. Right now our developers have to modify the RDP file as some of them turn on monitor spanning, audio capture mode, etc. I would like to configure it at the lab level and allow individual developers to update it at the…

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Speed up user lab VM reset by assigning an unassigned VM from the pool

When you reset a VM assigned to a user, it will delete the existing VM, create a new VM and then assign it to the user.

If there are unassigned VMs in the pool, please assign one of these to the user so that they can get back on immediately. There should be no need to wait for an additional VM to be added into the pool before it is assigned to a user.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. DevTest Labs should honor "Exclude from latest" flag of SIG versions

On creating DevTest Labs VMs, choosing "Latest" image version from a shared image gallery definition is actually end up using the version last added to it, regardless of "Exclude from latest" flag of that version.

This behavior is quite inconvenient when we need to test versions in development for DevTest Labs. Please honor "Exclude from latest" flag of versions, just like it does for ordinary VMs outside Labs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Integration to add new students automatically

For on-demand classes it would be useful to be able to add students automatically via integrations such as Zappier, Email, etc. instead of having to log in manually and add them afterwards.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. lab service VM as a standalone web-app trial

Hi,

I am trying to publish a standalone web app on azure market place. prior to investing creating the whole application i would like to test the market with an already created flask web-app that we are using in-house. I am wondering if it's possible to do the following

• create a lab environment that will auto-launch the flask web app upon authentication and users can only interact with the ui without having access to the VM itself

• Have users pay for their own consumption (+ some fees if possible) instead of us bearing the cost.

Regards

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Lab auto start per VM not just generic Lab time

At the moment I can specify a differnt time if the lab is set to allow that for shutdown, but not for Auto start up, Auto start is only Yes or No, please change it to match Auto Shutdown.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Policies  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Autoshutdown time in 24 hour not AM PM!

the time is currently in this format
    8:30:00 PM
    Pleas emake this 24Hr > 20:30:00 so less typing/messing about when changing times.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable / Disable VM sizes

Ability to hide VM sizes from selection menu like you can enable/disble certain images from view.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Auto-start and Auto-stop DevTest lab webapps and PaaS services

I have not found out how to enable auto-start and auto-stop on PaaS webapps in DevTest labs. It would be very helpful to offer that as a feature or be more upfront that it is not a feature offered to webapps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - ARM Environments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Clarify Event initiator for Autoshutdown activity log

Dear Lab Service dev team,
    I'm Insan working in Azure Tech Support in Korea.

Currently VM activity log does not show clear view of Deallocate VM event by autoshutdown.

Only way to figure it out is to filter logs with "Event initiated by = Azure Lab Services" (see attached)

This is very obscure for customer's point of view and difficult to understand that VM was stopped due to autoshutdown event.

Please improve logging for autoshutdown in Activity Log for better customer experience.

I suggest we add additional comment on Event initiator, such as "Azure Lab Services (autoshutdown)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. Disable Autoshutdown by default when creating a VM in Azure Portal

Dear Lab Service Dev team,

I'm Insan working in Azure Tech Support in Korea.
    Our customers have very poor experience for using VMs because VM creation page has Autoshutdown enabled by default.

In many cases, customers don't care so much about Management tab and they are not aware of enabling Autoshutdown when create a VM.

Please set autoshutdown disabled by default in VM creation page.

Thanks,
    Insan

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Easy switch from admin-view to vm-view

When I login to Lab Services, I'm automatically forwarded to the teacher-dashboard. As I'm a participant in some courses, I would like to see an option to switch to the student portal easily, instead of typing https://labs.azure.com/virtualmachines myself.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Notifications for custom image creation

We are using Image factory process to create custom images on daily basis. So daily we get into devtest labs and then checking whether images are created or not. So is there any activity log alert or OMS alert to get notified once the images are copied to respective labs ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Display the currency of the estimated cost for admin view

A single organization has multiple admin for the classroom labs. Not all admin are familiar with Azure. As a general admin, they dont have sense on the default currency.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Can you please change the Auto-shutdown time to Scroll down Counter for Hours, AM and PM

Change the shutdown number box to a Scroll down that has hours from 1 to 24 instead of typing

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Select NSG for DevTest Labs VM on creation

Currently there is no way to select a VM-level NSG for a DevTest Labs VM. In order to allow both VM-level and subnet-level NSGs to both be applied to a VM (for example, per policy requirements). This should be possible when creating a VM in DevTest Labs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Networking for DevTest Labs is handles at lab level.
    You can add your own VNET to the lab under configuration and policies – Virtual Networks.
    Lab users can select a specific network they want to create their VM in from a dropdown that is configured by the lab owner.

Can you share more on why you would like to configure the NSG while creating a lab VM?

20. Overview 'My virtual machines' has a scrollbar for both column values and column titles

In the overview tab, 'My virtual machines' has a scroll bar for both the columns titles and column values.

I believe this wasn't intended and isn't often seen. Typically they move together so you can more easily associate values with titles/labels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base