Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Set shutdown multiple times during a day

I would like to schedule shutdown and start-up multiple times a day. Ideally I want a shutdown at 12:01 PM, 5:00 PM, 10:00 PM, 12:00 AM, 2:00 AM, and 4:00 AM. I don't want the servers running unless it is being used.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the idea! Could you please help us to understand why you need auto-shutdown to be triggered so many times during a day? If someone needs to use the VM after the scheduled auto-shutdown time, DevTest Labs today allows you to set auto-shutdown notification, which allows users to delay the shutdown for an hour or two (and if so, then they will get another notification with options to delay). Does it work in your case?

2. Reuse on-premise TFS user account and workitem to apply for DevTest resources?

possible to reuse the use info in on-premise TFS? there is no need to set up new account for developers since they already have their own TFS account. I have this query based on the below scenarios, is it possible ?
    1) each developer and test have their TFS account.
    2) developer and test will apply for the VM resourced on TFS through TFS workitem workflow.
    3) once the VM apply is approved, the requested VM will be created automatically. and the workitem in TFS will be updated, the requestor will be informed the VM login info.
    it is need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the idea and the question! Would you mind elaborate more how the TFS and the VMs will be used for in this case? Does the TFS behave as VM-request-management role here, or is it more about creating VMs from the latest bits for testing from the build/release pipeline from TFS? Today you can use DevTest Labs tasks for VSTS/TFS to create a VM: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-azuredevtestlabs.tasks. Depending on your real scenario, it may already be automatable today (with some additional setup).

3. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Default view

When you go into DevTest Labs you need the default display to be all vm's - not an overview of the ones you created. Tricked us a couple of times that you have "Overview", "My virtual machines" and "All virtual machines". It's a shared env. where you have resources, they should not be bound by member and who has created them. Maybe we just have a different "use case" than what MS came up with? Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated! :) Otherwise a setting where you could set the default display to members of that devtest labs could also work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the feedback! It’s definitely a valid scenario, while DevTest Labs hasn’t optimized for that. Meanwhile, you can pin the “All virtual machine” blade to your Azure dashboard, so that next time when you access the lab through the pinned tile on your dashboard, you will access the “All virtual machine” list immediately. Does it work for you?

5. Opt-in / Opt out enforcement of shutdown

Enforce certain policies, but allow users to opt out of others. User working on demos with customers may want to opt out of a shutdown based on idle time (open idea currently), but we want to enforce a shutdown at 7pm on Fridays. They should not be able to override the weekly shutdown. This may vary based on DevTestLab.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Ability to perform scheduled shutdown based on day

Ability to perform scheduled shutdown based on day, not just time. Similar to start. We want to force shutdown all VMs on Fridays 11pm.

129 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Ability to shutdown VMs based on keyboard / mouse in-activity - x minutes after

Create a policy to shutdown a VM due to inactivity. This needs to be based on keyboard / mouse inactivity. The ability to execute the shutdown based on minutes inactive. Ability to change the minutes on different devtest labs

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. VNET, Subnet, RG, SA, NSGs across subscription

I would like to have a feature to choose VNET, Subnet, Storage account, NSGs and various other parameters from different subscription in EA

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the request, Prashant! Could you please help us to understand better about your scenario? Do you want to create VMs in a different subscription from the Labs using the resources you listed (e.g. VNET, Storage account, etc.)? Why is your lab in a different subscription from those resources?

9. Transfer VHD as part of ARM Template

Would it be possible to add the ability to transfer a VHD to the uploads folder as part of the ARM template. Ie. Specify a URI to a VHD in another storage account to transfer over.

Otherwise I nee to deploy 1 ARM template to create the lab, execute some powershell to transfer a VHD, then deploy another ARM template to create a custom image from the uploaded VHD.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback, Jacob! We are planning to simplify your work to create custom images from an external VHD, and we are in progress to come up with a solution for that. One of the ideas is to provide a PowerShell scripts that will copy the VHD and deploy an ARM template coming with it all at once, so the only thing you need to do is to run the PowerShell by passing some parameter values (e.g. URI to the VHD, etc.). Does it work with you? For your particular request, we will investigate and see how ARM template in general supports this kind of action. Thanks!

10. Attach an existing disk not created in Lab

I copied VHD of a Data disk from a nother Lab in a different Locale (Azure Region) into the datadisks container, but it was not available as an existing disk I could attach to my Lab VM. I am attempting to clone a lab in East US to a Lab in West US. I can copy the images of the VM from one lab to another across regions, but right now I can't see how to clone the additional data drives from one lab to another.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! Attaching an existing disk not created in the Labs is doable today through ARM templates. However, we understand the experience is not ideal and plan to get it better. I don’t have an ETA though, given it needs to be prioritized with all the other items in the backlog. If anyone wants to see this feature sooner, please don’t hesitate to add your vote. Thanks!

11. Ability to apply additional/custom policies?

Is there a way or a plan to add custom policies? Currently, there are 5 predefined policies , can more custom policies be added to these?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Allow using the VM DSC Extensions in DevTest Labs

Allow the Azure VM DSC Extension to be used in Azure DTL.

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. VM startup/shutdown process dependecies

I would like to have a option to tell VM Lab to start machines in a certain order and wiat before starting another machine in the chain before some other will be up and running. (chaining) same for shutdown process.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Hybrid Use Benefit (HUB) Support

Could you please add support for custom images brought from on-premises to take part in the Hybrid Use Benefit (HUB) program?
    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-use-benefit/

Thank you!

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Allow setting policies per user type

Currently it appears that the policies are universal - they apply regardless of the user type. It would be helpful to be able to tailor the policies to specific user types - eg Setting the max number of VM's per user for admins to be a higher threshold than max number of VMs per user for regular lab users.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your feedback, John! Providing more fine-grained policies including this one is currently in our backlog. It’s been prioritized with other user stories in the backlog, so we don’t have an ETA yet.

For anyone who want to see it sooner, please keep submitting your votes!

16. Azure DevTest Lab, Cost Management

I'd like to be able to determine a usage by user or group resource limit in Azure Devtest-Lab, because to put this feature in production I have to limit the cost.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. "Export Template" function in DevTest Labs

The functions and settings of DevTest Labs are expanding on a weekly basis. As this resource is getting more and more complex, we should be able to export the lab, after configuring it. Currently, this is possible only while the lab is being created and only for the Shutdown schedule. There are now several settings, like available gallery images, cost metrics and autostart that should be available for template deployment.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting this idea. This idea has been added into our backlog. We don’t have an ETA for it at this point of time though, because it has to be prioritized with all the other items in the backlog. For people who do want to see it sooner, please don’t hesitate to add your votes for it. Thanks!

18. Anti-malware installation

It would be great if, as part of provisioning a new VM, you could specify that Microsoft Anti-Malware (or other products) is to be installed as well. Current work-around is to push it out afterwards from Security Center but this allows for a little too much human error

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Deploy a OS template with attached data discs

Sometimes it is very necessary, when to deploy an os template which already attached data discs. For example: We deploy some SharePoint or SQL server in a testlab and we need some performance.

60 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks again for the feedback! We currently have a feature in the backlog that allows you to create a VM with an attached disk at the same time. We still need to prioritize it, so there is no ETA at this point of time. If you want to see it sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote this idea!

20. Add default NSG to either Lab subnet or VMs as they are created

It seems like VMs created in the Lab do not have an NSG defined. I believe this means that there are no blocks to any ports inboud from the Internet to the Lab VMs. I know that I can RDP to my Lab VM although no NSG is allowing it. I think this sets up a sub-optimal security posture. Would it not be better to add a default NSG to the Lab subnet which allows RDP and SSH?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the request, Steve. DevTest Labs allow you to add an existing VNET from the subscription to be used in the Labs, which means that you can create your VNET with subnets where NSG is applied in your subscription, and then use that VNET in your labs. Does it work with you?

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base