Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Select NSG for DevTest Labs VM on creation

Currently there is no way to select a VM-level NSG for a DevTest Labs VM. In order to allow both VM-level and subnet-level NSGs to both be applied to a VM (for example, per policy requirements). This should be possible when creating a VM in DevTest Labs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Overview 'My virtual machines' has a scrollbar for both column values and column titles

In the overview tab, 'My virtual machines' has a scroll bar for both the columns titles and column values.

I believe this wasn't intended and isn't often seen. Typically they move together so you can more easily associate values with titles/labels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Could not create new machine after clicking "Create" button

Could not create new machine after clicking "Create" button, no response.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Make template VM directly accessible in Azure portal

The template VM should be accessible like a regular VM via the Azure Portal. I got into a situation after configuring the firewall where the RDP port was blocked and could no longer access it. Support could not resolve it either. This would alleviate that by allowing normal Azure recovery methods.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Custom advanced notice for auto-shutdown notification

It looks like the only option for the auto-shutdown notification is the default 30mins. It would be great if I could adjust it (to say 2 hrs) so that I can get the notification during my workday when I'm still checking email.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support auto shutdown by resource group

Support auto shutdown by resource group instead of setting it per VM. I hope we can do it per RG to speed up and streamline.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Please add VM auto-shutdown to AZ API.

Currently, you can manually set up the auto shutdown schedule for a VM under Operations. And you can use Get-AzDtlAutoShutdownPolicy to get a devTest lab's shutdown policy.

But there is no equivalent for a Virtual Machine to see or get/set a shutdown schedule.

Interestingly enough, the feedback for the VM auto-shutdown form brought me to the azure-devtest-labs feedback area.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off after 30 minutes from logoff"

Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off in 30 minutes after last logoff"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Open more ports for web server/programming/design related classes

My partner is meeting many customers in education sectors, and many of them ask if Lab Services can open some ports more than those of RDP and SSH.

My partner empathized that this is necessary in case of educational organizations that are teaching web server, web programming, and web design.

Can you consider this if you think it does not breach the security of the service?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. I'd like to be able to extend/add disks in Labs Services (Not DevLabs)l

I'd like to be able to extend/add disks in Labs Services (Not DevLabs)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. There is no obvious option for starting VMs automatically at a set time each day, yet there is an option for automatically stopping them.

There is no obvious option for starting VMs automatically at a set time each day, yet there is an option for automatically stopping them.

I clicked on the feedback link on the automatic shut down page for a VM, on the Azure portal to get to this page. I don't know why I was sent to a "lab services" page. It seems this feedback link sends users to the wrong place.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

You have reached the right forum. We recently renamed the forum to lab services, however you can find DevTest Labs category on the right hand side pane.

For the feedback, can you please share what you mean by obvious?
    In Labs, you have an option to set auto shutdown for your VM for a specific time of the day everyday.
    For auto start, you can opt in to the lab auto start schedule and the setting of the schedule is taken care of for you by your lab owner.

Would you like the ability to set a time yourself? If so, can you help understand the scenario for the same?

14. Don't send DevTestLabs shutdown notifications for production VM's

We are receiving notifications with a subject line of "Alert—Auto-shutdown of virtual machine <machine name> in 30 minutes.

The VM in question is, I am assured by our infrastructure team, in a production resource group, in a production subscription, with a production SLA.

It does have an automatic shutdown configured by some mechanism, but I do not know the mechanism.

Notifications from microsoft should not be stating that this is a notification from DevTest labs, since the VM is not in a DevTest Lab according to the infrastructure team.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The auto shutdown for Azure Compute VMs can be disabled and is not something that needs to be enforced on the machine.
    If you are the owner of the VM and using it for a production scenario, you should be able to opt out of the shutdown schedule to ensure your VM will keep running. Do you own the VM you are talking about?

The shutdown mechanism is provided by the DTL team, however the message should not say DevTest Labs unless the VM is in a lab. Can you confirm if your VM is in fact outside of a lab?

If you are using a DTL VM, it is meant to be used for Dev and Test scenarios only and shutdown can be set at lab level by your lab owner and at lab VM level depending on the level of control you have on setting DTL VM level…

15. Time Format for Auto-Shutdown on Portal

The format or way of selecting time on the Portal needs to be improved.

E.g.
    allow 24hr clock option
    schedule up and down times across a given week start/stop
    (date selection covered in a different posted idea)

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Allow DevTest Lab owners to connect to read-only shared image galleries

Currently a DevTest Lab owner needs to have contributor level access to a shared image gallery in order to have it listed as available for connection to the lab. This may have been with the thought that a lab owner would create the lab's images, but in many cases someone else will provide standard images. Allow galleries to appear for connection to the lab if the lab owner has Reader access to the gallery.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Scheduling Auto-Shutdown

The Auto-Shutdown schedule does not allow you to set the date. On Sept 19 at around 4:45pm ET I scheduled a VM to shutdown at 4:55pm ET. The server did not shutdown on Sept 19. Instead, the server ran another ~24 hours and shutdown on Sept 20 at 4:55pm ET.

Would be nice if the Auto-Shutdown feature has an option to select the date, or if you cannot select date then the shutdown should occur the same day (assuming you pick a future time).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support auto-shutdown that does a deallocate as well

Auto-shutdown is great, but I'd like it to deallocate as well, so I don't get charged. That's my primary reason for wanting auto-shutdown, so I don't get charged for a playground VM twiddling its thumbs overnight.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. allow multi-system configuration in Azure Lab Services

It would be great to have a few machines deployed for each user so that they could have a complete environment with multiple services (DC, SystemCenter, SQL, Desktop, etc).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Setting to automatically stop an automation runbook if it runs for more than 'x' minutes

Setting to automatically stop an automation runbook if it runs for more than 'x' minutes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4 5 13 14
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base