Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Assign multiple VMs to a student with their own vnet so they can create a network

We have an in house lab experience where we can assign multiple windows/Linux VMs to students, these all come with a public IP and part of a Vnet so they can create their own network and test client/server applications between them

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Auto-start and Auto-stop DevTest lab webapps and PaaS services

I have not found out how to enable auto-start and auto-stop on PaaS webapps in DevTest labs. It would be very helpful to offer that as a feature or be more upfront that it is not a feature offered to webapps.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - ARM Environments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Clarify Event initiator for Autoshutdown activity log

Dear Lab Service dev team,
    I'm Insan working in Azure Tech Support in Korea.

Currently VM activity log does not show clear view of Deallocate VM event by autoshutdown.

Only way to figure it out is to filter logs with "Event initiated by = Azure Lab Services" (see attached)

This is very obscure for customer's point of view and difficult to understand that VM was stopped due to autoshutdown event.

Please improve logging for autoshutdown in Activity Log for better customer experience.

I suggest we add additional comment on Event initiator, such as "Azure Lab Services (autoshutdown)"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Disable Autoshutdown by default when creating a VM in Azure Portal

Dear Lab Service Dev team,

I'm Insan working in Azure Tech Support in Korea.
    Our customers have very poor experience for using VMs because VM creation page has Autoshutdown enabled by default.

In many cases, customers don't care so much about Management tab and they are not aware of enabling Autoshutdown when create a VM.

Please set autoshutdown disabled by default in VM creation page.

Thanks,
    Insan

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Custom advanced notice for auto-shutdown notification

It looks like the only option for the auto-shutdown notification is the default 30mins. It would be great if I could adjust it (to say 2 hrs) so that I can get the notification during my workday when I'm still checking email.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Notifications for custom image creation

We are using Image factory process to create custom images on daily basis. So daily we get into devtest labs and then checking whether images are created or not. So is there any activity log alert or OMS alert to get notified once the images are copied to respective labs ?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off after 30 minutes from logoff"

Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off in 30 minutes after last logoff"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Open more ports for web server/programming/design related classes

My partner is meeting many customers in education sectors, and many of them ask if Lab Services can open some ports more than those of RDP and SSH.

My partner empathized that this is necessary in case of educational organizations that are teaching web server, web programming, and web design.

Can you consider this if you think it does not breach the security of the service?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Scheduling Auto-Shutdown

The Auto-Shutdown schedule does not allow you to set the date. On Sept 19 at around 4:45pm ET I scheduled a VM to shutdown at 4:55pm ET. The server did not shutdown on Sept 19. Instead, the server ran another ~24 hours and shutdown on Sept 20 at 4:55pm ET.

Would be nice if the Auto-Shutdown feature has an option to select the date, or if you cannot select date then the shutdown should occur the same day (assuming you pick a future time).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Set up auto-shutdown from Azure cloud shell

Set up auto-shutdown from Azure cloud shell.
    Can't find anything existing.
    Somethin like:
    az vm command with --set-autoshutdown --zone UTC --time 2:AM --reapeat true

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs -PowerShell and CLI  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Give Warning to Users About Shutdown

Currently, when a shutdown is initiated in the schedule, it force quits all programs and shuts down the machine without any notice to the user. This abrupt of a shutdown could result in a loss of work if the user is active at the time of the scheduled shutdown. Please provide an option when scheduling a shutdown to give notice to the user (see attached for an example). This can be achieved with the simple command: shutdown /s /t 300

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. 'My Labs' Dashboard cards should display more information

The dashboard cards in labs only contains minimum information on the e.g.

LAB-TITLE
    lab description
    Max virtual machine count: 52
    Quota per user: 0 hours (Schedule only)

it does not even list the Lab Creator anywhere!
    it really needs to be better especially when end users have multiple labs from different creators, schedules etc.

It would be nice if the cards in the dashboard listed:
    The Lab creator - fetched from Graph with user image and mail address.
    The name of image in use, possibly an image logo
    The actual schedule (if configured)
    custom support link

The count of registered…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Overview 'My virtual machines' has a scrollbar for both column values and column titles

In the overview tab, 'My virtual machines' has a scroll bar for both the columns titles and column values.

I believe this wasn't intended and isn't often seen. Typically they move together so you can more easily associate values with titles/labels.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Multiple Auto-Shutdown Times for each VMs

Be able to implement multiple auto-shutdown times for each VMs through the portal.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Don't send DevTestLabs shutdown notifications for production VM's

We are receiving notifications with a subject line of "Alert—Auto-shutdown of virtual machine <machine name> in 30 minutes.

The VM in question is, I am assured by our infrastructure team, in a production resource group, in a production subscription, with a production SLA.

It does have an automatic shutdown configured by some mechanism, but I do not know the mechanism.

Notifications from microsoft should not be stating that this is a notification from DevTest labs, since the VM is not in a DevTest Lab according to the infrastructure team.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

The auto shutdown for Azure Compute VMs can be disabled and is not something that needs to be enforced on the machine.
    If you are the owner of the VM and using it for a production scenario, you should be able to opt out of the shutdown schedule to ensure your VM will keep running. Do you own the VM you are talking about?

The shutdown mechanism is provided by the DTL team, however the message should not say DevTest Labs unless the VM is in a lab. Can you confirm if your VM is in fact outside of a lab?

If you are using a DTL VM, it is meant to be used for Dev and Test scenarios only and shutdown can be set at lab level by your lab owner and at lab VM level depending on the level of control you have on setting DTL VM level…

16. It should be possible to check if the repository PAT is valid

In the repositories page, there is a list of artifacts repositories that are available to the lab. However, the list does not show if the PATs provided are valid or not (for example expired or have the wrong permissions).

If would be extremely useful to have a 'check connection' option, for example under the 3 dots, that would verify that the connection is setup correctly.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Azure Bastion: DevTest Labs support

DevTest Labs users should have an option to use Azure Bastion to connect their VM when clicking "Connect" in DevTest Labs VM blade in Azure Portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Support auto shutdown by resource group

Support auto shutdown by resource group instead of setting it per VM. I hope we can do it per RG to speed up and streamline.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. 13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Auto-shutdown is basically useless without auto-startup!

Adding auto-shutdown to production VMs could be interesting if there was an auto-startup! Pretty incredible to have to say it, really.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base