Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Restrict Lab Access

How to prepare a scheduler so that the students can't access the lab out of his scheduled time. How to restrict the user entry automatically.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Notification for lab timing

If we set any schedule for any lab what is the process of enabling the notification before time is up

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. Is instructor view possible

Any way to share my view with other user or instructor or possible to arrange remote access

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. How to build new machine image from existing imagge

We want copy Lab image or copy particular machine so that we can use that image to build new machine or lab

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Ability to use shared image gallery in Formula

We need the ability to be able to use a shared image as a base in a formula. Currently we can build a VM from a shared image within the devtestlab but shared image gallery images do not show up as a image you can use in a formula.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. restrict lab access based on user account for labs that have multiple classes but limited SW licenses.

We need to limit access to a lab when there are several classes scheduled per day but each class of students also needs to have after-class time, meanwhile we have a limited number of licenses. eg: stata azure lab...three classes of 20 students each. classes are scheduled 9-11am, 1-3pm and 4-6pm. we only have 20 stata licenses. and as well, students need to have a couple of hours of after-class access. limiting access based only on a computer schedule is not granular enough.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Bastion support for Classroom Labs

Similar to DevTest Labs, and perhaps even more important, Classroom Labs should support Bastion Host or any other mechanism that gets around port restrictions. Students should be able to get to their virtual machines without having to ask an IT department to grant access through their firewall to non-standard ports (which gets denied more often than not anyway).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Email Notification when a schedule is added for a LAB

When a new schedule is added for a LAB the invited recipients should be getting an email on the day of the schedule with the information about the Lab timing and other custom message.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Prevent Shutdown on Unclaim

Please give us an option to turn off the Shutdown of a VM when it is being unclaimed.

We´d like to Setup a Dev Enviroment for Microsoft Business Central where the Developers are connecting though Visual Studio Code to the VMs Services and only use the Portal to access the VM when they want to configure something.
    But when they Claim the VM, make their changes und unclaim it, it is being powered off and deallocated.
    We would like to suppress this because others Developers might working with this VM.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Instead of shutdown why we can't use hibernate option

On Auto shutdown of VM we might loss the current work we are doing, instead of shut down can't we use Hibernate option.

So that there will be less chances of losing unsaved work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. auto-shutdown VM's when not logged in or not in use for specified time

As a developer I would test my product in virtual machines and left the virtual machine in on state for couple of days but I would have logged out of the machine. So It would be great if you could provide an option to aut-shutdown the machine when it is not logged in or it is idel for specified time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. There must be an option to have multiple snapshot states

There must be an option to have multiple snapshot states

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. User Groups for Scheduling

It would be useful to implement user groups to help with classroom lab management and managing costs.

Ideally the lab administrator could assign user groups through the Users screen. From there, user groups could be applied to the lab schedule to control which schedule applies to a given user group, thereby allowing central administration of a single class with multiple instances and controlling which schedule entry applies to which user group to limit potential costs.

Scenario:
    I have three instances of a class (each with different users). It would be useful to be able to have all of those users…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Easy switch from admin-view to vm-view

When I login to Lab Services, I'm automatically forwarded to the teacher-dashboard. As I'm a participant in some courses, I would like to see an option to switch to the student portal easily, instead of typing https://labs.azure.com/virtualmachines myself.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. "VM boştayken t süresi sonunda kapansın" diye bir özellik ve yönetebileceğim kolay bir arayüz olmasını isterim.

"VM boştayken (CPU, RAM, HDD t0 süresinde kullanılmıyorsa) t1 süresi sonunda kapansın" diye bir özellik ve yönetebileceğim kolay bir arayüz olmasını isterim.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Make it easy to set up auto shutdown.

Make it easy to set up auto-shutdown.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Upload FOLDER Option on FileShare

Hi All,

Once we Setup File Share on Storage Account i would like to have options to Upload FOLDERS along with Files.
    If i Map this File Share on any VM and i need to copy across Folders which might be software installation folder containing 40+ files and 15 Folders.
    It will be handy if we have FOLDER Upload option enabled.

Cheer's
    VB

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base