Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Opt-in / Opt out enforcement of shutdown

Enforce certain policies, but allow users to opt out of others. User working on demos with customers may want to opt out of a shutdown based on idle time (open idea currently), but we want to enforce a shutdown at 7pm on Fridays. They should not be able to override the weekly shutdown. This may vary based on DevTestLab.

4 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow naming of network on creation rather than randomly generated

Where names are to be generated (network names etc) the current DevTest pumps out one based on the DevTest name + a number ideally I'd want the option to select / configure network or at the very least specify the name of the network myself.

13 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

We’ve got it added into the backlog, and it will be prioritized with other features. So we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. Meanwhile, if you could share with us what kind of naming you would like to use and why the default one doesn’t work, it will certainly help us with the right design. For anyone who wants to see it happens sooner, please don’t hesitate to vote for it.

3. Anti-malware installation

It would be great if, as part of provisioning a new VM, you could specify that Microsoft Anti-Malware (or other products) is to be installed as well. Current work-around is to push it out afterwards from Security Center but this allows for a little too much human error

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Provide onetime startup instead of regular scheduled auto-start

Sometimes I need an instance just for Today, and tomorrow. I would like to be able to add 1 or more "one time" auto-start commands that would allow me to auto-start just for those days. eg. It's monday and I know i need an instance on Tue and Wed - so, i'd like to put in a one-time start for Tue AM/Time then another for Wed AM/time. But still have it respect that auto-shutdown policy.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Enable artifacts to provide link to documentation

There is a need for artifacts to provide links to documentation to simplify artifact use.

Several artifacts require you to input information that might not be immediately known at first glance, such as what exact string is required for software packages, or the formatting of a certain field.

If the artifact creator could provide a link to where the user can find additional information on how to use the artifact then it would lower the learning threshold and speed up first time use of DevTest Labs.

10 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure DevTest Lab, Cost Management

I'd like to be able to determine a usage by user or group resource limit in Azure Devtest-Lab, because to put this feature in production I have to limit the cost.

3 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Make Azure Backup targets available for dev lab templates

One of our most popular requirements for lab environments is the cloning of VM's from a production environment into a segregated self service lab environment. Dev Labs seems to be a good contender for this but the admin steps to convert a production Azure VM into a Dev Labs VM is a little awkward currently.

Each night I backup my production VMs with the Azure Backup service, it would be great if these backed up VM's can be used as template images within dev-labs.

Currently to achieve this I would have to restore the VM's to a staging VNET/Storage Account,…

12 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Provide actionable error info upon VM create failures

I created a new DevTestLab, but every time I try to add a VM it fails after a few minutes. The error information given is completely useless to me as a user/admin. There is no indication of what I should do differently.
    Here is what I get from the portal:

Title

Error while Creating Lab VM Dc02

Description

Lab VM Dc02 Created

Status

Error

Timestamp

Wed Dec 16 2015 11:35:55 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Correlation IDs

clientNotification-4455291d7f464a5cb5b180ce5738c31f0-27

Extension Name

MicrosoftAzureCompute

Asset Type

VirtualMachine

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Create a Resource Group and then use the portal to add services to the DevTest Lab

At present VMs are created within the DevTest lab section of the portal. When a new DevTest Lab is created it could just create a Resource Group. Services could then be added via the rest of the portal, outside of DevTest Labs in the usual way. This avoids reinventing the wheel inside DevTest Labs and also provides a higher level of customisation for features such as Virtual Networks.

9 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

When a new DevTest Lab is created, it does create a resource group consists of a Lab resource, a storage account and a virtual network. VM creation needs to happen within the Lab though, while it also creates a separate resource group just for the VM. Is it something mentioned here that you want to create VM (as “services”) from the normal VM creation flow in Azure outside of the Lab but the Lab somehow can recognize it, or are you asking for a different thing? If it’s the former, what’s the downside in your opinion that you’d prefer to do that outside of the Lab? I appreciate any clarification. Thanks!

10. Option for auto-shutdown to be trigger only once.

Auto-shutdown is recurring. Would be nice to have an option to triggered it only once. Otherwise, every time we re-start the VM, we have to remember to disable the auto-shutdown.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Better ARM template support for configuration and policy settings

I want to completely deploy a DevTest Lab environment from a CI/CD pipeline hosted by Azure DevOps. To do this I am writing an ARM template based on the info of REST API, the sample scripts from the documentation and the info you can get from Resource Explorer.

I cannot find the setting which is controling the Lab settings section from the Configuration and policies part of Lab Management. The option I am looking for is the environment access setting 'Resource group user rights'. In the UI you can set this from reader to contributor. This option is not available…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. We need auto start after the auto stop

Add a line to add auto restart

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Add virtual machine cmdlet support for DevTest labs

In a similar fashion to the Azure Compute cmdlets currently available for Virtual Machines, please add Azure DevTest Lab cmdlets for Virtual Machines.

Thank you.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ability to limit VMs based on VM size

We would like to have different limits based on the size of the VMs. For example, we'd like to have 100x BasicA1 VMs running, but only 1x StandardA7 running at a time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Restrictions on the number of VMs should apply to VMs within Environments

Environments deployed within DevTest Labs from ARM templates held in a repository do not seem to be restricted by the "Virtual machines per user" or "Virtual machines per lab" settings.

This means that in labs with environment templates containing VMs, users can deploy as many VMs as they wish, even if number of VM restrictions are set on the lab.
    These restriction settings should apply to VMs within Environments too.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Can we have function like Windows Task Scheduler for Auto-shutdown and Auto-start?

If we have this function, we can configure for any day and time.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Do not auto shut down if a user is logged into the machine

This is very frustrating. I've lost work on several occasions as a result of this.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Replication of managed images

Replication of managed images across region is not possible. Currently if have to make a copy of my custom image from region A to region B.
    I have to first download a .vhd file, then move it to another region and then create a custom image there. This is a lengthy, time consuming and tedious process. Why not provide a replication option where I can choose what to replicate, when to replicate and in which DTL to replicate.

It will be extremely helpful.

2 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

planned  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Support network override when copying machine between labs

I'm migrating users from a DevTest Lab in one subscription to another subscription with a change in network topology.

The first lab provides connections through a public ip address, load balancer and NAT to the lab machines. The second lab connects to a private subnet and connections are through a firewall and jump server.

The new Import procedure fails because there isn't a shared ip address in the destination lab. Could the import process accomodate moving a vm and placing it on to associated lab network even if the configuration is different?

The error returned is:

NoMatchingSubnetFoundWithSharedIpAllowed : No matching…

1 vote

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base