Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. ability to hide repository information

We need to share our labs and artifacts with many users outside of our team and also sometimes with external customers.
    As the repository is private and hosted on internal servers, for security reasons we would like ability to hide the repository source information for all the users. It would be nice if
    1. Go to repository option [click 3 dots against your repository] can be disabled.
    2. Ability to disable the click on selected repositories can be provided, so user cannot see repository details in configuration.

Thanks,
    Sachin

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your suggestion! There are some ways to solve these problems today: 1) for “go to repository” menu item from the three dots, you can control the permission at the repository level (i.e. don’t give users read permission to your repo), so that even if users click that item, they will get access deny when trying to access the repo. 2) to disallow users to see repo details, you can create a custom role and remove the read permission to the repo details from the built-in DevTest Labs User role. Do these solutions work with you? If not, could you explain the reason so that we can design the right solution for you?

2. Allow connections from non-Microsoft RDP clients (e.g. rdesktop on Linux) or add documentation to explain how

i've been unable to connect to DevTest Labs VMs from rdesktop or any other non-Microsoft RDP client (Remote Desktop on the Mac seems okay). This appears to be something to do with certificates, but I can't find anything out about it. It would be good if there were some instructions on how to do this. Also, it'd be nice if the downloadable RDP configs actually worked and didn't need editing.

Having said that, when it works, it's AMAZING - beautifully fluid and fast and for the first time allows me to use a remotely hosted VM as a development machine,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. View more DTL custom image attributes - blob fullname; created; last used; tags

My current pain point is how to identify what blob correlates to my current dev test labs image, an easy solution would be to expose the blob path/ name in the image details pane. Beyond that, seeing the created, frequency of use, tags and utilization (i.e. how much of my ~136GB container is "full" within image).

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Ability to save Artifacts

It would be nice to be able to save an artifact state to be reusable. Such as setting up a PowerShell artifact with links to files and parameters.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the suggestion. In order to help us deliver the right solution, could you please share more context about this? Are you talking about adding your own artifacts or adding artifacts in a specific state? If it’s the former, you have the ability to add your own custom artifacts so you can add them to a VM base: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/devtest-lab/devtest-lab-artifact-author

5. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. 2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Default view

When you go into DevTest Labs you need the default display to be all vm's - not an overview of the ones you created. Tricked us a couple of times that you have "Overview", "My virtual machines" and "All virtual machines". It's a shared env. where you have resources, they should not be bound by member and who has created them. Maybe we just have a different "use case" than what MS came up with? Any feedback/thoughts would be appreciated! :) Otherwise a setting where you could set the default display to members of that devtest labs could also work.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the feedback! It’s definitely a valid scenario, while DevTest Labs hasn’t optimized for that. Meanwhile, you can pin the “All virtual machine” blade to your Azure dashboard, so that next time when you access the lab through the pinned tile on your dashboard, you will access the “All virtual machine” list immediately. Does it work for you?

8. Reuse on-premise TFS user account and workitem to apply for DevTest resources?

possible to reuse the use info in on-premise TFS? there is no need to set up new account for developers since they already have their own TFS account. I have this query based on the below scenarios, is it possible ?
    1) each developer and test have their TFS account.
    2) developer and test will apply for the VM resourced on TFS through TFS workitem workflow.
    3) once the VM apply is approved, the requested VM will be created automatically. and the workitem in TFS will be updated, the requestor will be informed the VM login info.
    it is need…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the idea and the question! Would you mind elaborate more how the TFS and the VMs will be used for in this case? Does the TFS behave as VM-request-management role here, or is it more about creating VMs from the latest bits for testing from the build/release pipeline from TFS? Today you can use DevTest Labs tasks for VSTS/TFS to create a VM: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-azuredevtestlabs.tasks. Depending on your real scenario, it may already be automatable today (with some additional setup).

9. Ability to apply additional/custom policies?

Is there a way or a plan to add custom policies? Currently, there are 5 predefined policies , can more custom policies be added to these?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. VNET, Subnet, RG, SA, NSGs across subscription

I would like to have a feature to choose VNET, Subnet, Storage account, NSGs and various other parameters from different subscription in EA

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the request, Prashant! Could you please help us to understand better about your scenario? Do you want to create VMs in a different subscription from the Labs using the resources you listed (e.g. VNET, Storage account, etc.)? Why is your lab in a different subscription from those resources?

11. Add default NSG to either Lab subnet or VMs as they are created

It seems like VMs created in the Lab do not have an NSG defined. I believe this means that there are no blocks to any ports inboud from the Internet to the Lab VMs. I know that I can RDP to my Lab VM although no NSG is allowing it. I think this sets up a sub-optimal security posture. Would it not be better to add a default NSG to the Lab subnet which allows RDP and SSH?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the request, Steve. DevTest Labs allow you to add an existing VNET from the subscription to be used in the Labs, which means that you can create your VNET with subnets where NSG is applied in your subscription, and then use that VNET in your labs. Does it work with you?

12. Make it easy to deploy test agents to Azure VMs in a DevTest Lab

winRM settings are cumbersome (going through deploying a test agent from TFS online to a Win10 VM in the lab, and it is not pretty).

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow selection of Public IP Address that you created manually

I am unable to deploy a Windows 10 image with a public ip address. It continually fails due to the auto assignment of a Public IP/DNS name. Why can we not 1. select a PIP that we have 2. edit the DNS name prior to deployment to prevent failure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. In any windows I should be able to type "What is a XXXXXX" where XXXXXX is the menu item i'm being asked to add in Azure

Azure asked me to add an Artifact. I have no idea what that means. Tried to find out from within the window and there was no "help" without backing out of the VM build.

Thanks!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! We are currently reviewing this idea. Regarding the solution you proposed, instead of you typing to search for help topics, does it work if we add an info icon next to the term “Artifacts” which can show you more explanation in a tooltip when you move your cursor to it?

15. Make some of the settings available for standard resource groups,

Make some of the settings available for standard resource groups, limiting the type of VMs that can be created, setting a spending limit etc. would be really useful

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Integration with OnPremise TFS

For customers who did not migrated their projects/build to VSO- we need some integration tool to publish artifacts.

Right now I see only one workaround- publish artifacts to VSO first and after make a deployment, but it's looks like workaround and not like a normal solution

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the feedback! Integration with on-prem TFS is in our backlog, although we don’t have an ETA to share yet. Meanwhile, could you please provide more details at which point you want to publish your build artifacts to a Lab VM? There are a couple of solutions based on the scenarios. One scenario is baking the latest build into a VM template in the Lab as part of the CI pipeline. We are currently working on the cmdlets which allows you to use when authoring a post-build task. Another scenario is to access the build from within a running Lab VM. This requires the network configuration to connect the Lab with your on-prem environments. Azure has provided a couple of options including Express Route, site-to-site, and point-to-site, etc. Thanks!

17. Build network lab in Azure lab service

I want The virtual lab should include additional features such virtual switches, firewalls and GNS3 simulators to facilitate topology architecture (Network Infrastructure). How to build these up?

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. Option to choose how we connect to VM when we click [Connect] button in DevTest Labs' VM blade.

When we choose [Virtual machines] - [<target VM resource>] - [Overview] and then click [Connect], the management portal shows "To connect to your virtual machine via RDP, select an IP address, optionally change the port number, and download the RDP file." And we can select 'DNS', 'Public IP' or 'Private IP'. However, when we go to [DevTest Labs] - [target lab resource] - [All virtual machines] - [<target VM resource>] - [Overview] and click [Connect], no option to connect is shown and downloading RDP file just starts. It is such a hassle to go to standard VM's blade to do…

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback!

DevTest Labs is built in a way that lab owner sets up the networking for the entire lab. The goal is to not have lab users go through the hassle of looking for the IP addresses and other information to connect to their VMs.

Can you please describe your scenario and why you need this information to connect to a lab VM?

19. Way to change auto-shutdown settings programmatically per-instance (rather than lab wide)

Currently you can set the auto-shutdown settings on a lab-wide basis either manually or in an ARM template that creates a DevTest Labs instance. However, when you create environments using an ARM template base which creates multiple VM's, they all have the auto-shutdown settings of the DevTest Lab.

If the Lab policy allows the user to change the Auto-Shutdown settings, then you can manually change them on a per-VM basis through the UI, but there doesn't appear to be a way of changing those settings programmatically (either in the ARM template that creates the environment or through PowerShell after creation).

0 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - ARM Environments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
1 2 12 13 14 16 Next →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base