Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Offer DevTest Labs on higher level Azure clouds (level 5).

This solutions is perfect for our customer, but need it in a more secure Azure cloud.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Do not use an existing IP address range already in use for a VNet when creating the VNet of a new lab

If you create a new lab it will create a new VNet with the ip range 10.0.0.0 even though that range is already in use in anothe VNet in the subscription.
    It would be nice to use a different available range, ask the user to define a new one or at least let the user aknowledge this and create it anyway

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. what all Pass offering we can manage from DevTestLab

Is there anyway that we can configure any existing Azure Pass service as part of artifact and we can use on demand as part of Pass Offering.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Option to auto shutdown the Virtual Gateway.

The large amount of my traffic is coming from the Virtual gateway even when the VM is turn off and the clients are disconnected.

We need an option to shutdown the VG connection

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Customize with region/language for I18N bug investigation

I need a VM installed with Turkish windows settings/region/language. I did not managed to do that with available images/artifacts.
    Is that possible?

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Add artifact for IIS

Sometime many of azure engineers test Azure VM by installing default IIS and deploying test app or default app.
    So it will be time saving in many scenario if you add artifact for IIS configuration on windows serer.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. VNC Artifact

Would be nice to have VNC artifact so we could monitor tests without interrupting them or creating a session via RDP.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the idea! DevTest Labs artifacts are open source, and we welcome community contribution to the DevTest Labs public artifact repo: https://github.com/Azure/azure-devtestlab.
    For artifacts that you find helpful for your context we advise you write your own and store it in a private artifact repo.
    Learn more here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/lab-services/devtest-lab-artifact-author

9. Allow create title of Artifacts

it`s hard to remember what each artifact is, it would be nice if we can create a title of artifact like "Config IIS" in run powershell artifact...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Pass 'parameters' as on object to powershell

The runCommand commandToExecute becomes very messy when we need to pass a large number of parameters. Please add a function to pass the 'parameters' collection to powershell as an object. (JSON or powershell)
    In our powershell we could then access $parameters.Name.Value
    $parameters.Name.type

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Allow to select the Resource Group for my VM/VHD image

When adding a new VM/VHD image to DevTest Lab, it as default creates a new Resource Group containing that VM image, network interface, Global IP etc.
    And that is also fine if you need the extra level of security. I some cases though, I just don´t need the extra overhead that these resource groups pose - would like to have everything in one and same resource group.
    In our company we typically use <Product/Application Name><Environment letter> as the naming for our resource groups. So if we can avoid it, we do not like all of these "extra" resource groups that…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. VSTS agent on Ubuntu

It would be great to have an artifact with VSTS agent available on Ubuntu. As I will be building docker images for deployment in Kubernetes cluster, the kubectl command would be the perfect topping.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Clone VM when creating a custom VHD image

When taking a VHD image, have the option to create an exact copy so you don't make your master image unusable when sysprep'd.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Report the id of the secret used by a Virtual Machine in the resource view

It would be great if the Microsoft.DevTestLab provider reported the name/id of the secret that is in use for virtual machine.

This would potentially allow us to script the creation of RDP access files, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. auto startup/shutdown when opening visual studio project

It should be possible to tie up start/stopping of virtual machines to development in addition to time-based.

e.g set up one or more VMs which are a testbed for a project automatically turn on once a Visual Studio project requiring them opens, even if it's before the default startup time (got to work early)
    If I stay working after hours, the same VMs would stay up longer as long as they detect my Visual Studio is running and not idle.

I imagine a "Visual Studio VM watchdog" local service being started by Visual Studio. It would be a very small…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Auto-scale down of App service

It will be very useful for application built to run in the PAAS environment to have a scaled down economical version of the PAAS in the DevTest labs

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for again your suggestion! I updated the title for this post to reflect the potential feature that can help control the cost of app service (since you already can spin up App Services through ARM templates in a lab today). Please don’t hesitate to let me know if this is different from what you want.

Addressing cost control for PaaS is on our roadmap. It has to be prioritized with other features, so we don’t have an ETA at this point of time. Meanwhile, would you mind sharing with us more ideas how you would like the scale-down to work with your PaaS resources (and which PaaS resource)?

17. Sort the list of custom images

I have a bunch of custom images in my lab. i want to be able to sort them so that i can see them in a particular order - the order i want, not the order you want.

Also i want additional fields. For instance, created date or last VM created date.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. 6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. ability to hide repository information

We need to share our labs and artifacts with many users outside of our team and also sometimes with external customers.
    As the repository is private and hosted on internal servers, for security reasons we would like ability to hide the repository source information for all the users. It would be nice if
    1. Go to repository option [click 3 dots against your repository] can be disabled.
    2. Ability to disable the click on selected repositories can be provided, so user cannot see repository details in configuration.

Thanks,
    Sachin

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for your suggestion! There are some ways to solve these problems today: 1) for “go to repository” menu item from the three dots, you can control the permission at the repository level (i.e. don’t give users read permission to your repo), so that even if users click that item, they will get access deny when trying to access the repo. 2) to disallow users to see repo details, you can create a custom role and remove the read permission to the repo details from the built-in DevTest Labs User role. Do these solutions work with you? If not, could you explain the reason so that we can design the right solution for you?

20. Allow connections from non-Microsoft RDP clients (e.g. rdesktop on Linux) or add documentation to explain how

i've been unable to connect to DevTest Labs VMs from rdesktop or any other non-Microsoft RDP client (Remote Desktop on the Mac seems okay). This appears to be something to do with certificates, but I can't find anything out about it. It would be good if there were some instructions on how to do this. Also, it'd be nice if the downloadable RDP configs actually worked and didn't need editing.

Having said that, when it works, it's AMAZING - beautifully fluid and fast and for the first time allows me to use a remotely hosted VM as a development machine,…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base