Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. It should be possible to check if the repository PAT is valid

In the repositories page, there is a list of artifacts repositories that are available to the lab. However, the list does not show if the PATs provided are valid or not (for example expired or have the wrong permissions).

If would be extremely useful to have a 'check connection' option, for example under the 3 dots, that would verify that the connection is setup correctly.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Artifact Dependencies

Allow artifacts to define dependencies of other artifacts. Example: Have a artifact that uses node.js, would like to be able to require Node.js artifact has been successfully run.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Artifact to install Windows Updates

I'm creating a new VM to sysprep and use as a custom VHD image. I want to apply all necessary artifacts and all Windows Updates before I sysprep the VM.
    However, I have not been able to connect to the VM. Therefore, I can't log in and do the Windows Updates myself.
    It would be nice to have an artifact called "Install Windows Updates" that checks for updates, installs them, reboots as needed, and repeats until no more updates are found.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. In addition to using a Personal Access token (PAT), allow private artifact repo access using an identity provider e.g., AAD

The current model where an individual has to set up a personal access token to allow access to a private artifact repository works reasonably well.

However, as soon as the person who initially set up the access leaves the team or otherwise the team forgets how to set up this link, we find that we have to contact support and they have to remind us that we have to provide a new PAT for use when an artifact disappears

While we can have long-lived PATs up to two years in Azure DevOps, this isn't really a permanent solution because it…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for your feedback.

We are currently investigating on ways to support MSI (Managed Service Identities) in Labs.
    With a user defined MSI you bring to the lab, lab can use it while applying artifacts on VMs (ex. fetch a password for the domain join artifact)

Please share any feedback you have to help us make the feature better.

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base