Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Multiple Auto-Shutdown Times for each VMs

Be able to implement multiple auto-shutdown times for each VMs through the portal.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

Allow for greater variety of auto-shutdown schedules

E.g.:
    - multiple times per day;
    - various days in the week;
    - weekends;
    - recurring dates;
    - one-time; etc.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Ability to restore VM's to original state post creation

At present we can create snapshots of the VM's however no further use unless we create VHD's and then manually re-create VM again which require much more efforts. Instead please add some functionality to store the VM states where the restore of VM to the point saved can be completed. For example system restore function is used to restore the system state in this case VM with data should be stored or saved to restore to the restore points instead of just system or OS data.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Auto Start and Auto ShutDown Options

1] Considering we are creating VM in Labs say 20 VMs with 2 group accessing 10 VMS each but they want Specific VMs on Specific Date and Time to Be Auto-Start and Auto-Shutdown which were cost effective and time effective option as Lab Admin once he set this schedule he is not required to check Portal to Shutdonw on those days where VM arenot required to be in running State.As currently i have to manage those manually.
    2]Also Similar to Auto Shutdown Notification there is need to have same Functionality in Auto Start Notification so if i am required to…

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Azure Bastion: DevTest Labs support

DevTest Labs users should have an option to use Azure Bastion to connect their VM when clicking "Connect" in DevTest Labs VM blade in Azure Portal.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Option to auto shutdown VM when no user is active for X minutes

While the auto shutdown on a daily basis is great, if I haven't been logged in for an hour it would be nice if the machine would shut down automatically. This is especially true as I am experimenting with developing using an Azure VM

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Ability to limit VM disks

DevTest Labs has the functions of creating a new disk, attaching to a disk, and detaching from a disk.
    It would be nice to have the ability to limit these disks.

To create custom role without 'Microsoft.DevTestLab/labs/virtualMachines/AddDataDisk/action' and 'Microsoft.DevTestLab/labs/users/disks/Attach/action' and 'Microsoft.DevTestLab/labs/users/disks/Detach/action' assign users doesn't help because users have Owner permission to VMs after they claim.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to disable or hide [Connect] button if [Browser connect] is enabled by Bastion integration

We have both [Connect] and [Browser connect] button for VMs if we configure DevTest Labs integrated with Azure Bastion. (Public Preview right now.) It would be great if we could disable or hide [Connect] button for specific users when DevTest Labs owner wants users to connect VMs only from [Browser connect].

• To create custom role without '.../getRdpFileContents/action' and assign users doesn't help because users have Owner permission to VMs after they claim.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Support for Spot VMs

Provide support for the more cost-efficient Spot VMs.
    Also brings it on par with VM creation process/capabilities in Azure portal/CLI.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. delete unused VMs in DevTest Labs

As an extension to the expiry date in DTL, an option to auto-delete VMs not used for xx days would be awesome.
    Maybe even a warning e-mail to the VM owner before the deletion

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Define Up Time Range

VMs at this point allow only Daily Shutdown time. You should allow an UP Time range also. Helps keep a running schedule with weekends Shutdown etc. or allow a day wise schedule. Reduces the logistics.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. There must be an option to have multiple snapshot states

There must be an option to have multiple snapshot states

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Custom advanced notice for auto-shutdown notification

It looks like the only option for the auto-shutdown notification is the default 30mins. It would be great if I could adjust it (to say 2 hrs) so that I can get the notification during my workday when I'm still checking email.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off after 30 minutes from logoff"

Feature Request : Auto turn off rule like "turn off in 30 minutes after last logoff"

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Attach Multiple Data Disks With ARM Template / Via Portal

There are no options to create and attach data disks when creating a new resource within the DTL GUI.

When using an ARM template to deploy a VM with an attached data disk it appears I am only able to attach one disk using the following syntax:

"dataDiskParameters": [

{
    "attachNewDataDiskOptions":
    {
    "diskSizeGiB": "32",
    "diskName": "[concat(parameters('newVMName'), '-IIS')]",
    "diskType": "Standard"
    }
    }
    ],

Attempting to add multiple lines to create other disks is ignored and only one disk is ever added.

It would be very useful for my users if they were able to specify whether they would like to attach…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. automatic start and shut down during the weekend

different time for automatic start and shut down during the weekend

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Different Start-up Time for Different Days

Would be good if you could make it so the auto-start time can be different for different days. e.g. starts at 7am Mon-Fri and 1pm Sat-Sun.

You already show the time next to each day, but unfortunately can only change the time for all days together.

Reason: The VM is used for Dev, and sometimes dev team work on weekends in the afternoon only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Instead of shutdown why we can't use hibernate option

On Auto shutdown of VM we might loss the current work we are doing, instead of shut down can't we use Hibernate option.

So that there will be less chances of losing unsaved work.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. auto-shutdown VM's when not logged in or not in use for specified time

As a developer I would test my product in virtual machines and left the virtual machine in on state for couple of days but I would have logged out of the machine. So It would be great if you could provide an option to aut-shutdown the machine when it is not logged in or it is idel for specified time.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base