Update: Microsoft will be moving away from UserVoice sites on a product-by-product basis throughout the 2021 calendar year. We will leverage 1st party solutions for customer feedback. Learn more here.

Lab Services

Azure Lab Services is a service that enables you to easily set up and provide on-demand access to various systems and software for any workload: teaching a class, setting up a development or test environment, or running trials with customers. Manage and scale your group’s resources in lab environments, while minimizing waste and controlling cost. Choose between the two lab types, classroom lab or devtest lab, for an experience that is tailored to your scenario.

Visit the Azure Lab Services page to learn more.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. delete unused VMs in DevTest Labs

As an extension to the expiry date in DTL, an option to auto-delete VMs not used for xx days would be awesome.
    Maybe even a warning e-mail to the VM owner before the deletion

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Please sign in to leave feedback

Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Support auto-start for Virtual Machines

Support auto-start from VM like you have Auto-shutdown, this will help users to reduce the cost when they did not want to run their business like can auto start at morning 8 AM and Auto shutdown at evening 8PM.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add formula property to ARM tempalte

After generating an ARM template by using the Azure Portal, through the selection of a formula, I find that the ARM template isn't referencing the formula but the list of artifacts instead.
    This means that if my Lab owner changes the formula, the ARM template is obsolete and no longer generated up-to-date lab VMs when the ARM template is used.
    Rather than having a list of artifacts and a property for the custom image, I'd like to reference the formula directly. Hence, it would be the provider's responsibility to create the VM according to the formula, rather than having to…

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Enforce autostart to VMs in Labs

We can configure autostart for VMs globally from the configuration. However we have to enforce it individually. I would like to have an option to enforce it on all VMs (at least), or on a subset (eventually)

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

5. template

When creating a DTL from a template it would be good if we can control the storage account and key store resources that get auto created for us.

If we can't specify those resources ourselves then just the naming convention and tagging would allow them to follow our internal conventions and tagging policies.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Once you created a Custom Image, the base image is worthless. Please add a "Delete base image" checkbox to image can be deleted.

Once you created a Custom Image, the base image is pretty worthless and would in most cases be deleted.
    It would be nice with a checkbox "Delete base image when finished creating custom image" to the blade

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Clone VM when creating a custom VHD image

When taking a VHD image, have the option to create an exact copy so you don't make your master image unusable when sysprep'd.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

8. VM startup/shutdown process dependecies

I would like to have a option to tell VM Lab to start machines in a certain order and wiat before starting another machine in the chain before some other will be up and running. (chaining) same for shutdown process.

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Provide actionable error info upon VM create failures

I created a new DevTestLab, but every time I try to add a VM it fails after a few minutes. The error information given is completely useless to me as a user/admin. There is no indication of what I should do differently.
    Here is what I get from the portal:

Title

Error while Creating Lab VM Dc02

Description

Lab VM Dc02 Created

Status

Error

Timestamp

Wed Dec 16 2015 11:35:55 GMT-0800 (Pacific Standard Time)

Correlation IDs

clientNotification-4455291d7f464a5cb5b180ce5738c31f0-27

Extension Name

MicrosoftAzureCompute

Asset Type

VirtualMachine

8 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support for Spot VMs

Provide support for the more cost-efficient Spot VMs.
    Also brings it on par with VM creation process/capabilities in Azure portal/CLI.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Auto Start and Auto ShutDown Options

1] Considering we are creating VM in Labs say 20 VMs with 2 group accessing 10 VMS each but they want Specific VMs on Specific Date and Time to Be Auto-Start and Auto-Shutdown which were cost effective and time effective option as Lab Admin once he set this schedule he is not required to check Portal to Shutdonw on those days where VM arenot required to be in running State.As currently i have to manage those manually.
    2]Also Similar to Auto Shutdown Notification there is need to have same Functionality in Auto Start Notification so if i am required to…

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. postpone or cancel auto shutdown

I have my VM set to shut down at 7PM, however I'd like an ability to skip the shutdown on a particular day, in case I am working late.
    Currently I have to delete the auto shutdown and enable it again once 7PM had passed.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  DevTest Labs - Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Auto - Shutdown save button is disabled always even enabled is ON and other values are filled.

Auto - Shutdown save button is disabled always even enabled is ON and other values are filled.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

triaged  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. specify week days of server auto-shutdown

On auto-shutdown page we can specify the time. I would like to specify on which days of the weeks too.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Custom auto start time per VM

We would like to be able to specify an auto start time for individual VMs similar to how we can pick an auto shutdown time. Currently the auto start time appears to be global for the Lab though I can allow individual VMs to opt in.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Limit the number of RUNNING virtual machines, not total by use

Now we have "Limit the number of virtual machines" limit and it's a cool, but I would like to have "Limit the number of RUNNING virtual machines" limit rather than in all possible states.

I don't want to delete VMs, just because I need another one for a next 2-4 hours. Making custom image for that it's overkill.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Provide onetime startup instead of regular scheduled auto-start

Sometimes I need an instance just for Today, and tomorrow. I would like to be able to add 1 or more "one time" auto-start commands that would allow me to auto-start just for those days. eg. It's monday and I know i need an instance on Tue and Wed - so, i'd like to put in a one-time start for Tue AM/Time then another for Wed AM/time. But still have it respect that auto-shutdown policy.

7 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Wants to know default capacity limits in Azure Lab Services from the azure portal for their subscription.

We provided following information, but it is not clear about the customer's actual default capacity limits for their subscription.
    The customer would like to know how many VMs they can create as default in their subscription, because the customer wants to know the limit in order to prepare their quota request as earlier as possible.
    The customer has to issue Quota request each time for the need of new training.

Capacity limits in Azure Lab Services
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/lab-services/capacity-limits
    Azure Lab Services has default capacity limits on Azure subscriptions to adhere to Azure Compute quota limitations and to mitigate fraud.
    All Azure…

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Give Warning to Users About Shutdown

Currently, when a shutdown is initiated in the schedule, it force quits all programs and shuts down the machine without any notice to the user. This abrupt of a shutdown could result in a loss of work if the user is active at the time of the scheduled shutdown. Please provide an option when scheduling a shutdown to give notice to the user (see attached for an example). This can be achieved with the simple command: shutdown /s /t 300

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Classroom Labs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Copying custom images from one DTLab to another

Due to the RBAC role hard limit of 2000 per subscription, we find ourselves creating new subscription and new DTLabs as a work around. There is not a straight forward way for us to copy custom images created in the old DTLabs to the new ones. It would be nice if there is a way to just copy custom images without going through multiple steps of spinning up a new VM and sysprep it and turn it back to a VHD image again, just so we can copy it to the new DTLab.

6 votes

We're glad you're here

Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base