DevTest Labs

Azure DevTest Lab is a service that helps developers and testers to quickly create environments in Azure while minimizing waste and controlling cost. You can test latest version of your application by quickly provisioning Windows and Linux environments using reusable templates and artifacts. Easily integrate your deployment pipeline with DevTest Lab to provision on demand environments. Scale up your load testing by provisioning multiple test agents. Also, create pre-provisioned environments for training and demo.

Visit the Azure DevTest Labs page to learn more about DevTest Labs and how to get started.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure DevTest Labs?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable DTL service principal as defined role that can be added to KeyVault for ARM deployments

My labs users requested that they have a DTL template that installs a set of certificates to the "My" store and enables them to leverage them when the virtual machine is created. When I trigger the "base" creation using my custom ARM template via VSTS git, I encounter an error with the 'Microsoft.KeyVault/vaults/deploy/action' permission. It appears that DTL uses a deployment role that does not inherit my permissions to the KeyVault and therefore fails. Is it possible to create an AAD role/service principal for DTL activities so I can whitelist in KeyVault?

8 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Restrict users to DevTest Labs

How can I restrict ALL users to only see the DevTest Labs resources in the Azure portal, i.e. nothing else? My users keep on going into the Resource Groups created by DevTest for the VM's and trying to start their VM's which of course is not allowed, then create a helpdesk ticket because of that, you can imagine how frustrating that is... and it confuses the users to see all other resources deployed in the subscription.

2 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Can I select multiple time in scheduled down time ? Like 2.00 pm & 8.00 pm

Can I select multiple time in scheduled down time ? Like 2.00 pm & 8.00 pm

2 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Give contributor permissions on resource group to service principal creating DevTest Labs vms

Currently DevTest Labs has a setting to give default Contributor access to the underlying VM resource group when instantiating a DevTest Labs VM. However, we noticed this doesn't apply to a service principal instantiating such a DevTest Labs VM (Microsoft.DevTestLab/labs/virtualmachines type) from an ARM template in a VSTS release. It only gets Reader access to the resource group. Please allow this setting to apply to service principals as well. We would like to use the same VSTS release and service principal to apply extra VM extensions (like antimalware) to the underlying VM (type Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines) after provisioning the DevTest Labs VM.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Role Based Access Control  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Reuse on-premise TFS user account and workitem to apply for DevTest resources?

possible to reuse the use info in on-premise TFS? there is no need to set up new account for developers since they already have their own TFS account. I have this query based on the below scenarios, is it possible ?
            1) each developer and test have their TFS account.
            2) developer and test will apply for the VM resourced on TFS through TFS workitem workflow.
            3) once the VM apply is approved, the requested VM will be created automatically. and the workitem in TFS will be updated, the requestor will be informed the VM login info.
            it is need…

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for submitting the idea and the question! Would you mind elaborate more how the TFS and the VMs will be used for in this case? Does the TFS behave as VM-request-management role here, or is it more about creating VMs from the latest bits for testing from the build/release pipeline from TFS? Today you can use DevTest Labs tasks for VSTS/TFS to create a VM: https://marketplace.visualstudio.com/items?itemName=ms-azuredevtestlabs.tasks. Depending on your real scenario, it may already be automatable today (with some additional setup).

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base