How can we improve Microsoft Azure DevTest Labs?

Allow secrets at the lab level

Right now secrets are only on per user level. It would be great if Contributors and Owners could define secrets at the lab level that can be used along side user secrets.

My current use case is that I don't want all of the lab users to know the domain password when using the Join Domain artifact. Right now I have to add the password to their key vault. The default permissions for their personal key vault allows them to view the value of the secret. I think I can lock this down, but then there is another manual intervention that needs to be done for every user.

Another use case is to make sure that if the users of a lab all want to use the same password for the VM, this can be stored at the lab level rather than each user adding it themselves. (formulas can help here, but still)

26 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Allen Lyons shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

2 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please hurry with this. We are on site at a customer and need this capability or DevTest labs isn't feasible for their purposes!

• Noel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am just starting to establish formulas for my team to all utilize. I've created custom artifacts for the formulas, and they rely on secret information that i thought was shared (at the lab level) but instead each user that uses the formula must have the same secret define, it's an extra hassle as well as being not so secret any more for info that is common for all lab users but should remain secret.

Feedback and Knowledge Base