How can we improve Microsoft Azure DevTest Labs?

Ability to move existing VM's to the TestLab

Have the ability to move an existing VM to the DevTestLab. I have several vm's that my developers use and do not want to have to Re-Create all of these machines.

137 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Darrell Simmons shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates? still not clear why we have to copy VHD or recreate it. if I seed VM and disks from DTL in Virtual Machines and Disks and can work with them as with other it Is not clear why I can't use similar way in DTL. Looks like we have assign VM to lab and that's all. the same story with images.

• Johannes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

in our case - due to a greater outage in west europe, 2 weeks ago (10-11th oct.)
        I was forced to re-create the failing VM's - but new the end up being unassociated with the original devTestLab....
        seem that the only possible solution is to download/upload vm-images and the re-create them again i a new lab...

Looking so much forward to be able to "import" og "add existing VM's to devTestLab

• Murat Yılmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My Virtual Machine and Dev TestLab are in the same resource group but I don't see VM in "My Virtual Machines" or "All Virtual Machines" page under DevTestLab. This is the explanation about previous comment I wrote.

• Murat Yılmaz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Have the ability to move an existing VM to the DevTestLab. I do not want to have to Re-Create my VM.

• Jeffrey Pierson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there anywhere we can keep track of the progress on this? I need to know whether to wait or to go ahead and recreate my VMs. I'm in the same position as Darrell.

• AdminAzure DevTest Labs Team (Admin, Microsoft Azure) commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Alex, the experience of these two will be different. The feature to support this request is to allow a lab admin to add any external resource group into a lab for tracking/central management purpose. The other one (using ARM template in the Labs) allows a lab user (developers/testers, etc.) to pick an ARM template (from a specified source control added by a lab admin into the lab) in the lab to provision and manage their own new environments.

• Alex Angas commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Will the ability to link a resource group also be the solution for the "Deploy an Azure Resource Manager Template into a DevTest Lab" idea? Seems like it would work well for both!

Feedback and Knowledge Base