DevTest Labs

Azure DevTest Lab is a service that helps developers and testers to quickly create environments in Azure while minimizing waste and controlling cost. You can test latest version of your application by quickly provisioning Windows and Linux environments using reusable templates and artifacts. Easily integrate your deployment pipeline with DevTest Lab to provision on demand environments. Scale up your load testing by provisioning multiple test agents. Also, create pre-provisioned environments for training and demo.

Visit the Azure DevTest Labs page to learn more about DevTest Labs and how to get started.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure DevTest Labs?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

An easy to use pause or sleep function so I don't get charged for service at night and wake up in the morning.

1 vote
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Virtual Machines  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • Support network override when copying machine between labs

I'm migrating users from a DevTest Lab in one subscription to another subscription with a change in network topology.

The first lab provides connections through a public ip address, load balancer and NAT to the lab machines. The second lab connects to a private subnet and connections are through a firewall and jump server.

The new Import procedure fails because there isn't a shared ip address in the destination lab. Could the import process accomodate moving a vm and placing it on to associated lab network even if the configuration is different?

The error returned is:

NoMatchingSubnetFoundWithSharedIpAllowed : No matching…

1 vote
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Need to show VM IP Address

We use both VM name and VM IP address when using our Azure VM's. It would be great if we could both in the Dev Test Labs.

1 vote
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Need ability to sort VM's

I have multiple Dev Test Labs within my Software Development group and have 50+ VM's in each lab. We are constantly adding new VM's and removing used VM's. I need a way of sorting thru these, at the very least have it so we can show the VM names in ascending order. This would my job much easier.

1 vote
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Automatic Shutdown + Start

Automatic Shutdown should stay with Automatic Start! I cannot find any option to choose the time I want to start my VM along with Automatic Shutdown page. Can you please merge these two functions?

1 vote
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

• Allow auto-shutdown and auto-startup to be events we can extend

I'm noticing a pattern in our labs that I find I would like to do some processing before auto-startup, and after auto-shutdown.

Would it make sense to make an auto-startup event source and a post-startup event source that we could tie into Event Grid, webhooks, etc.

I know that may be prescriptive, but I would definitely like to do some event processing on actions taken in the DevTest Lab.

It may be possible to key off the event log for the shutting down of a VM. If so, then I would just need a pre auto-startup event that is similar…

1 vote
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
              • Provide a way to reset VM specific auto-shutdown to factory defaults

As a manager of a lab I need to reset all of my VMs to reset to the factory defaults for auto-shutdown. I had some VMs that were overriden on the defaults and I cannot find a way to reset them or delete my override schedule and notification.

I tried deleting values, disabling auto-shutoff, re-enabling, etc. In all instances, I could not seem to get the auto-shutdown lab defaults to return.

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Switch premium storage to standard storage when machines are off by schedule

We have lots of lab machines with multiple terabytes of storage. These machines run 12 hours a day. While they are off (deallocated) can we switch the disk to standard instead of premium?

These would significantly reduce our costs for the machines that are on schedule. Premium disk on an off machine does not provide much value.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/virtual-machines/windows/convert-disk-storage implies that we should be able to convert between disk types.

8 votes
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Spell Check Main Page

Spell Check Page:
                    https://azure.microsoft.com/en-ca/services/lab-services/

Dashboard analtyics --> "Dashboard analytics"

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                    • Replication of managed images

Replication of managed images across region is not possible. Currently if have to make a copy of my custom image from region A to region B.
                      I have to first download a .vhd file, then move it to another region and then create a custom image there. This is a lengthy, time consuming and tedious process. Why not provide a replication option where I can choose what to replicate, when to replicate and in which DTL to replicate.

It will be extremely helpful.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Other  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                      • 1 vote
                        Sign in
                        Check!
                        (thinking…)
                        Reset
                        or sign in with
                        • facebook
                        • google
                          Password icon
                          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                        • Autoshutdown destoyed my main user profile

It would be good to review this great feature. For some reason, one day my VM was not able to start as expected and the admin profile was destroyed. I'm unable to reset password or use it. I had to create a new windows profile from Azure Portal.

1 vote
                          Sign in
                          Check!
                          (thinking…)
                          Reset
                          or sign in with
                          • facebook
                          • google
                            Password icon
                            Signed in as (Sign out)

• Ability to run artifacts on VM deletion

I would like the ability to define artifacts and/or powershell to run when a VM is deleted from the lab. One use could be removing the VM machine from a directory.

1 vote
                            Sign in
                            Check!
                            (thinking…)
                            Reset
                            or sign in with
                            • facebook
                            • google
                              Password icon
                              Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Artifacts  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                            • Add option to claim any VM based on a formula

When different formulas are used to create VMs in the same lab they may have the same base image but have different artifacts applied. When this is setup for different roles it would be helpful to have a "Claim Any" option where you could first choose the "Formula" used to make the claimable VM before claiming one.

For example, imagine two formulas based on Windows 2016 Server. One is a .NET developer and one is a Java developer. If those were the formula names then when the lab user goes into the lab they could claim any VM based on…

1 vote
                              Sign in
                              Check!
                              (thinking…)
                              Reset
                              or sign in with
                              • facebook
                              • google
                                Password icon
                                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  User Experience  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                              • Add lab option to show either formula name or base image name for VMs that are claimable or on the my virtual machine list.

When setting up reusable formulas for claimable VMs in bulk the list of VMs shows the base image not the formula used to create the VM. This make it hard for lab users to know which VM to choose if they have different artifacts applied. Either display the formula/image name picked as the base when creating the VM or provide an option to display one or the other.

1 vote
                                Sign in
                                Check!
                                (thinking…)
                                Reset
                                or sign in with
                                • facebook
                                • google
                                  Password icon
                                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Alert emails to Lab Owner and Lab Users about the Lab expiration date

Reminder Alert emails to Lab Owner and Lab Users about the Lab expiration date

Hi Team,

I as an administrator, assign many devtest servers to users as part of small projects. Once the end date/expiration date is passed we should be able to delete the VM in x days (Can the duration of the VM deletion be configurable.

And alert emails to owners about their expiration date so that they can reach-out to us for extension

1 vote
                                  Sign in
                                  Check!
                                  (thinking…)
                                  Reset
                                  or sign in with
                                  • facebook
                                  • google
                                    Password icon
                                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Fix artifact upload for nested ARM templates with sub folders

I'm building an ARM Template using nested templates and artifacts in sub folders. The ARM template is stored in a repository which is linked with a DTL. When creating an environment from the template, DTL doesn't upload all the subfolders to the storage account which breaks deployment and is a different behavior from that in Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1.

The proposed fix is simple: copy all subfolders from the repo just like the script Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 from the Resource Group project template in VS.

1 vote
                                    Sign in
                                    Check!
                                    (thinking…)
                                    Reset
                                    or sign in with
                                    • facebook
                                    • google
                                      Password icon
                                      Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Bugs  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                    • As a DevLab owner allow me to configure VM notifications to be set to VM creator.

As a lab owner I want to enable autoshutdown for VMs by default but I cannot. Why not? I can't because I cannot turn on send notifications without an email address. In the lab configuration there should be an option to default this value to the creators email address.

1 vote
                                      Sign in
                                      Check!
                                      (thinking…)
                                      Reset
                                      or sign in with
                                      • facebook
                                      • google
                                        Password icon
                                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Introducing VM to auto-shutdown if it is inactive for a number of hours(time)

introducing VM to auto-shutdown if it is inactive for a number of hours(time)

1 vote
                                        Sign in
                                        Check!
                                        (thinking…)
                                        Reset
                                        or sign in with
                                        • facebook
                                        • google
                                          Password icon
                                          Signed in as (Sign out)

• We need to have auto shutdown to selected the days instead of everyday.

Currently, we can only set daily VM shutdown. We need to shutdown a VM based on a day. Example. Start on Monday and shutdown it by Friday.

2 votes
                                          Sign in
                                          Check!
                                          (thinking…)
                                          Reset
                                          or sign in with
                                          • facebook
                                          • google
                                            Password icon
                                            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Policy  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
                                          ← Previous 1 3 4 5 8 9
                                          • Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base