DevTest Labs

Azure DevTest Lab is a service that helps developers and testers to quickly create environments in Azure while minimizing waste and controlling cost. You can test latest version of your application by quickly provisioning Windows and Linux environments using reusable templates and artifacts. Easily integrate your deployment pipeline with DevTest Lab to provision on demand environments. Scale up your load testing by provisioning multiple test agents. Also, create pre-provisioned environments for training and demo.

Visit the Azure DevTest Labs page to learn more about DevTest Labs and how to get started.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure DevTest Labs?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Integration with OnPremise TFS

For customers who did not migrated their projects/build to VSO- we need some integration tool to publish artifacts.

Right now I see only one workaround- publish artifacts to VSO first and after make a deployment, but it's looks like workaround and not like a normal solution

22 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the feedback! Integration with on-prem TFS is in our backlog, although we don’t have an ETA to share yet. Meanwhile, could you please provide more details at which point you want to publish your build artifacts to a Lab VM? There are a couple of solutions based on the scenarios. One scenario is baking the latest build into a VM template in the Lab as part of the CI pipeline. We are currently working on the cmdlets which allows you to use when authoring a post-build task. Another scenario is to access the build from within a running Lab VM. This requires the network configuration to connect the Lab with your on-prem environments. Azure has provided a couple of options including Express Route, site-to-site, and point-to-site, etc. Thanks!

• Surface Dev Test Labs capability in Azure Stack also. It will make MAS very widely used & approachable & rapidly expand MAS adoption

Please make Dev Test Labs capability in Azure Stack also. It will make Microsoft Azure Stack very widely used & approachable, and as well as rapidly expand MAS adoption, thereby making our Hybrid Cloud platform build an impressive lead over the competition.

6 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Make it easy to deploy test agents to Azure VMs in a DevTest Lab

winRM settings are cumbersome (going through deploying a test agent from TFS online to a Win10 VM in the lab, and it is not pretty).

3 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

• Autoshutdown: It would be helpful to be able to "test" the webhook call.

Autoshutdown: It would be helpful to be able to "test" the webhook call... for those of us trying to code against it.

2 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Allow connections from non-Microsoft RDP clients (e.g. rdesktop on Linux) or add documentation to explain how

i've been unable to connect to DevTest Labs VMs from rdesktop or any other non-Microsoft RDP client (Remote Desktop on the Mac seems okay). This appears to be something to do with certificates, but I can't find anything out about it. It would be good if there were some instructions on how to do this. Also, it'd be nice if the downloadable RDP configs actually worked and didn't need editing.

Having said that, when it works, it's AMAZING - beautifully fluid and fast and for the first time allows me to use a remotely hosted VM as a development machine,…

2 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Azure DevTest Lab, Cost Management

I'd like to be able to determine a usage by user or group resource limit in Azure Devtest-Lab, because to put this feature in production I have to limit the cost.

2 votes
              Sign in
              Check!
              (thinking…)
              Reset
              or sign in with
              • facebook
              • google
                Password icon
                Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Integration with other products  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for submitting the idea! To make sure we fully understand your requirement, could you please clarify a little bit, do you want the capability to track cost based on users or set different cost limits for different groups of resources?

• Allow auto-shutdown and auto-startup to be events we can extend

I'm noticing a pattern in our labs that I find I would like to do some processing before auto-startup, and after auto-shutdown.

Would it make sense to make an auto-startup event source and a post-startup event source that we could tie into Event Grid, webhooks, etc.

I know that may be prescriptive, but I would definitely like to do some event processing on actions taken in the DevTest Lab.

It may be possible to key off the event log for the shutting down of a VM. If so, then I would just need a pre auto-startup event that is similar…

1 vote
                Sign in
                Check!
                (thinking…)
                Reset
                or sign in with
                • facebook
                • google
                  Password icon
                  Signed in as (Sign out)

• Continuous delivery should work with preview versions like .NET 2.1 preview

There is an option by using extension to use .NET 2.1 preview for app services but the same/similar option should be there for continuous delivery in build agents as well to test .NET 2.1 preview etc. with CI.

1 vote
                  Sign in
                  Check!
                  (thinking…)
                  Reset
                  or sign in with
                  • facebook
                  • google
                    Password icon
                    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Azure SSL Certificates in CSP subscription

Azure SSL Certificates in CSP subscription

1 vote
                    Sign in
                    Check!
                    (thinking…)
                    Reset
                    or sign in with
                    • facebook
                    • google
                      Password icon
                      Signed in as (Sign out)

• VSTS agent on Ubuntu

It would be great to have an artifact with VSTS agent available on Ubuntu. As I will be building docker images for deployment in Kubernetes cluster, the kubectl command would be the perfect topping.

1 vote
                      Sign in
                      Check!
                      (thinking…)
                      Reset
                      or sign in with
                      • facebook
                      • google
                        Password icon
                        Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base