How can we improve Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse ?

Lower scale points for Dev/Test environments

SQL Data Warehouse scale stepping should be much smaller (10 DWU or even 1 DWU), than 100 DWU!
Please fix that ASAP!
Thank you!

88 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Arthur Markus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

10 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Password icon
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Rob Barat commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Also, for Gen2 Data Warehouse, the minimum is now 500dwu. There is no option to restore to a Gen1 Data warehouse either so once the migration is done, we're stuck with 500dwu minimum.

• Daniel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For dev scenario, preferred solution would be to develop against a visual studio database project in local host. An option to use less redundant storage in a basic configuration would be desirable. If I’m testing, I might be willing to live to forgo geo-redundant storage on ssd. Local only would be enough in many contexts.

• Stanisław Wawszczak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is absolutelly Right!! I have done some initial play with SQL Data Warehouse on small data set (about 20GB) and never I have reached the performance limit. After over two weeks of work I have paid over 200euro.
    Any development process on Data Warehouse is completely over budget...

• Luis Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10DWU should be available for Dev environments that don't require much compute. 100 DWUs as the minimum price is overly expensive for Dev /test environments

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree, for dev there needs to be the option to scale down to around 10 DWU, otherwise it is too expensive

• MW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo this. For proof of concept work, dev and general training it would be useful to have a lower entry-level price point, which can then be quickly scaled up to normal levels as required. As suggested anything between 10-50 DWU's would be great, I can actually see this increasing DW usage as it means we can try out more things with it, without being inhibited by the high initial cost.

• Jeffrey van Binsbergen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10 DWU would be great for testing/development purposes. I've got some database ideas and stored procedures I want to test but I'm not 100% sure if it is all supported. I don't really want to turn on/off an expensive system if I only want to test a design (or is there another way?).

Also it would nice to have my data warehouse always available for a low cost and just scale up when really needed.

• Embers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that current pricing ~£357 per month is just too much. Either reduce cost or offer 50 DWU usage point.

• Matt Usher [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about the 100 DWU scale unit is concerning to you? Can you explain a little more detail about what you'd like to see and why? Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base