How can we improve Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse ?

data warehouse scaling

SQL Data Warehouse scale stepping should be much smaller (10 DWU or even 1 DWU), than 100 DWU!
Please fix that ASAP!
Thank you!

68 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Arthur Markus shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Stanisław Wawszczak commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

That is absolutelly Right!! I have done some initial play with SQL Data Warehouse on small data set (about 20GB) and never I have reached the performance limit. After over two weeks of work I have paid over 200euro.
        Any development process on Data Warehouse is completely over budget...

• Luis Delgado commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10DWU should be available for Dev environments that don't require much compute. 100 DWUs as the minimum price is overly expensive for Dev /test environments

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

i agree, for dev there needs to be the option to scale down to around 10 DWU, otherwise it is too expensive

• MW commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I echo this. For proof of concept work, dev and general training it would be useful to have a lower entry-level price point, which can then be quickly scaled up to normal levels as required. As suggested anything between 10-50 DWU's would be great, I can actually see this increasing DW usage as it means we can try out more things with it, without being inhibited by the high initial cost.

• Jeffrey van Binsbergen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

10 DWU would be great for testing/development purposes. I've got some database ideas and stored procedures I want to test but I'm not 100% sure if it is all supported. I don't really want to turn on/off an expensive system if I only want to test a design (or is there another way?).

Also it would nice to have my data warehouse always available for a low cost and just scale up when really needed.

• Embers commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree that current pricing ~£357 per month is just too much. Either reduce cost or offer 50 DWU usage point.

• Matt Usher [MSFT] commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

What about the 100 DWU scale unit is concerning to you? Can you explain a little more detail about what you'd like to see and why? Thanks.

Feedback and Knowledge Base