How can we improve Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse ?

[In preview] Database project from Visual Studio to support Azure SQL Data Warehouse

Database project from Visual Studio is useful to manage DDLs, schema compare between the project and database, etc. Please create a project template dedicated for DW or support DW development from Database Project.

896 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Aaron Kim shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

97 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Simon W. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Please Include APS as well cause I'm waiting for this for more than 3 years now for this feature

• Colin Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We're also very disappointed with PDW. It almost seems like Microsoft are retiring this product as Azure seems to get all the love.

No PDW database project means manual version control, manual script preparation, no continuous integration.

No SSMS means everything is has to be scripted apart from a few basic functions.

APS costs a huge amount to install and the Asia Pacific support has been incredibly hit and miss (more miss). Due to the massive restrictions of PDW, we would have been far better off to create a farm of SQL 2016 servers which we can maintain ourselves using a full product suite and have access to replication, compression, linked servers, TSQL not DSQL etc.

DO NOT BUY PDW! You'll regret it.

• Dave Mulanaphy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This is a major disappointment. Not being able to align our development process to the standard SSDT Projects feature is a huge gap. SQL DW is a much tougher choice to consider migrating our datamarts to without the existing toolsets (SSSMS, SSDT Projects) working. A huge selling point for moving to APS/SQL DW from our Oracle databases is the consistent dev/build/deploy. I agree with another of the comments that the manual maintenance of code and the inability to do a schema compare from another project or database to the project is drastically needed. This really needs to get into your next DEV cycle

• Arthur Nicholson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Disappointing that this is being postponed. I find it difficult to recommend ADW to our larger customers without a decent, supported ALM process which we would be able to provide with VS project support. This is a big one for us (and obviously big for a lot of people with it being one of the top voted requests). Keeping my fingers crossed it will reappear in the roadmap very soon

• james commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

So, it's gone from planning and ETA by end of year, to maybe support at some time in the future and moved back to under review?

Tough going for Azure early adopters it would seem. We chose SQL DW because of the promise of this feature for future enhancements. Starting to seem like that was a mistake - not a very good feeling.

• Ben Martens commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In regular SQL Azure databases, we use the Schema Compare functionality in the database projects to make sure that our git repository matches what is deployed to the database. This lets us do easy code reviews of changes and make sure that we're always in sync. Because we lack that feature with ADW, we get ourselves into more messes where changes are accidentally overwritten or bugs are introduced because git doesn't match what is deployed. It takes a lot more discipline and as we all know, when a process relies on discipline, it's bound to fail from time to time.

• Geoff Coles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm also wondering if there are any updates. We really need compatibility with database projects in visual studio. Is there a release date available for this feature?

• Peter Gadsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would love to be able to automate deployment from TFS (cloud version) is there any timeline as to when this will be implemented?

• Vineet Khanna commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We are awaiting for this feature eagerly, so we can automate code deployment from TFS. Is there a beta or pre-release feature / tools available that we can use / test for this?

• Peter Gadsby commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be fantastic if we could create database projects and store them within TFS and deploy from TFS. it would save many hours of scripting objects to deploy manually

1 2 3 5 Next →

Feedback and Knowledge Base