How can we improve Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse ?

Enable Debugging für SQL DW

We are migrating SQL Scripts written for MS SQL Server 2008 R2 which contain a lot of dynamic SQL. At this moment one of those scripts fails pointing to row 1 column 1. There is no logic in that row. Inserting print 'Step x reached' shows me, that the script fails at a part where 100 lines of a dynamic SQL are stored in a variable of type NVARCHAR(4000). I believe 4000 chars is not enough to capture this dynamic SQL. Nonetheless I would like to be 100% sure before I start re-engineering this script. When I start the debugger the message is "SQL Debugging is not supported on Microsoft Azure SQL Database".

8 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Alex C. shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
under review  ·  AdminSQL DW Team (Feedback, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

Thank you for your feedback folks. We are actively looking into this scenario specifically with VS SSDT Database Project support with SQL Data Warehouse. Please continue voting and monitoring this item for updates. Thank you for your patience.

3 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Alex C. commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I believe I used SQL Server Management Studio and Visual Studio 2013. I tried to reproduce the error message today and now I can see that the “Debug”-functionality is disabled in both tools.

I did not use a database project specifically. In our team we used Team Foundation Server and we had one folder with the “old” scripts (SQL Server 2008 R2) and one folder with the “new” scripts (Azure SQL DW). When migrating the scripts we opened a connection to the DW and ran the “create stored procedure” scripts. After the stored procedure was created we executed it to test whether it works well. In some cases we had errors. In on prem scenarios we use the SSMS-debugger to analyze the execution of commands in order to identify bugs. In the DW-scenario we were missing that feature so finding errors took a lot more time. Either full compatibility between on prem SQL language features and Azure SQL DW language features or the debugging functionality in Azure SQL DW would be very beneficial.

Thank you and best regards,
    Alex

• Carlos E Galarce commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Having the same issue.

I am migrating a large set of SQL Server 2008 R2 with a lot of stored procedures. When using Visual Studio 2015 to try to debug a store procedure behavior I get the "SQL Debugging is not supported on Microsoft Azure SQL Database".

How are people debugging environments that are being migrated to Azure?

Feedback and Knowledge Base