SQL Data Warehouse

Do you have an idea or suggestion based on your experience with SQL Data Warehouse? We would love to hear it! Please take a few minutes to submit your idea or vote up an idea submitted by another SQL Data Warehouse customer. All of the feedback you share in these forums will be monitored and reviewed by the SQL Data Warehouse engineering team. By suggesting or voting for ideas here, you will also be one of the first to know when we begin work on your feature requests and when we release the feature.

Remember that this site is only for feature suggestions and ideas! If you have technical questions please try our documentation, MSDN forum, or StackOverflow. If you need support, please open a support ticket with us.

How can we improve Microsoft Azure SQL Data Warehouse ?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. unit test framework

The open source tsqlt framework requires CLR which is not available in Azure SQL DW. A framework to to write unit tests would increase trust in the queries.

6 votes
    Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

1 comment  ·  Reliability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    • TRANSACTION support for RENAME

Since MERGE statement is not supported, we are using CTAS for preparing the new table and using the rename operation.

Currently we do not have the TRANSACTION support for the RENAME operations.

When we have two rename operations we may run into inconsistent state if second statement fails.

RENAME OBJECT FinalTable TO FinalTable_Old;
      RENAME OBJECT FinalTable_Stage TO FinalTable;

To overcome this, we need some workaround or support for transactions.

26 votes
      Sign in
      Check!
      (thinking…)
      Reset
      or sign in with
      • facebook
      • google
        Password icon
        Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Reliability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
      • Once a proc is executed and if we try to stop it, its not working. Sometimes it takes 6-8 hours to get it cancelled

Once a proc is executed and if we try to stop it, its not working. Sometimes it takes 6-8 hours to get it cancelled

6 votes
        Sign in
        Check!
        (thinking…)
        Reset
        or sign in with
        • facebook
        • google
          Password icon
          Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Reliability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
        • Specify Time Window for Service Maintenance

Allow customers to define a window of time during the day where any internal maintenance should be performed in order to reduce impact to users during core business hours.

We have seen that internal upgrade/migration processes in Azure Data Warehouse can sometimes have impact on running queries (ex. performance and connection issues). If we could specify a time where impact is less likely, then it would improve the overall experience and availability.

16 votes
          Sign in
          Check!
          (thinking…)
          Reset
          or sign in with
          • facebook
          • google
            Password icon
            Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reliability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
          • Improve reliability of scale function

Often, after scaling, my database refuse to return results from large tables. This is after scaling from DWU100 to DWU 1000 (i.e. going UP in size). The fix I have found is to pause the database, wait 15-30 minutes, then resume the database. I assume this results in the database being reassigned to a new DW cluster.

Overall, I have found scaling to be a tenuous affair -- sometimes it works, sometimes it fails or leaves my database in a state where it basically no longer responds.

Hopefully this is a preview "feature" that will be fixed....

8 votes
            Sign in
            Check!
            (thinking…)
            Reset
            or sign in with
            • facebook
            • google
              Password icon
              Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Reliability  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
            • Don't see your idea?

SQL Data Warehouse

Feedback and Knowledge Base