Service Fabric

Do you have an idea, suggestion, or feedback based on your experience with Azure Service Fabric? We would love to hear from you.

Please take a few minutes to submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Service Fabric customer. All the feedback shared in these forums are being monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft Azure Service Fabric team.

Please remember this forum is for Azure Service Fabric, and if you have feedback on other Microsoft products, services or platforms, please submit your feedback in the appropriate forum (found on the right hand side).

Thanks for your feedback – we look forward to improving your satisfaction with Azure Service Fabric

1. Ability to customize rollout of new versions.

I want the ability to control how quickly a new versions of services are rolled out and what percent of load gets sent to them.

For example, I want 10% of the load to hit the new version for 1 hour before it is rolled out to any more nodes.

93 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    under review  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Cross Actors/Services Transaction

Support cross Actors/Services transaction

92 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Provide extensibility points for Service Fabric Remoting

The service fabric remoting library is great, though not very extensible.

I have two immediate needs to satisfy before I can migrate to using the service fabric.

• Pass a custom header context. This is readily available by inheriting from the ServiceRemotingDispatcher alongside creating an implementation of IServiceRemotingClient.

• Provide a custom data contract serializer / resolver. I cannot find any way to do this outside of completely writing my own transport.

In digging through the service fabric remoting code I am discovering that most everything is marked internal and the code is so heavily coupled to internal classes that almost nothing…

83 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Provide a possibility to shut down a SF cluster gracefullly

Provide a possibility to shut down a SF cluster gracefully.

Currently we only have the option to go to every VM and shut it down individually.

It would be nice to have an option on the SF cluster itself to shut the whole cluster at once gracefully.
    All apps & data would be retained, but we were able to put a cluster into "cold storage" and awake it later with a single click instead of go to every VM and stop or restart them.

82 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Publish A Single Service From Visual Studio

A feature allowing you to publish a Single Service in a solution (providing the same replace, or upgrade preserve data) would be a huge time saver for development! Something similar to Debug > Start New Instance that will deploy the latest code to the specified cluster and attach the debugger (or not attach if just publishing). The rest of the services are likely already running and I want them to continue to run and test the new changes I just made in the service I made those changes in.

F5 or Rt Click > Publish deploys all of the apps…

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Create a Reliable Cache like Redis

I'm using Azure Redis as cache but would be fantastic to have a similar service built in the Reliable Collections.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Out of box support for F#

I would like to get out of box support for Actor/Services in F#.

71 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Support continuous integration on build machines without the SDK installed

To build service fabric applications (*.sfproj) a MS Build .props and .target file are required. Those files are installed by the Service Fabric SDK. This presents a challenge in continuous deployment pipelines (ours is on Team Build) where a best practice is to keep build machines in a known, clean and maintainable state.

We would like to build Service Fabric apps in Team Build, but we don't want to install a specific version of the Service Fabric SDK onto those machines.

One solution could be to package the service fabric build artifacts as a nuget package, and then have *.sfproj

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Expose low level stateful apis

Sql azure and DocuDB are built on service fabric but use a lower level api for its stateful IO, please expose those apis for other apps as well

65 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add HTTP/2 support for ServiceFabric reverse proxy

We would like to enable HTTP/2 on REST APIs hosted in ServiceFabric stateless services, and reverse proxy is a nice feature for enabling service-to-service communication. However, currently HTTP/2 is not supported in reverse proxy yet.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. How-To setup Azure cluster with custom DNS and CA signed x509 SSL certificate

When spinning up a new service fabric cluster in Azure, certain node types might host web frontends that are public facing.

Please add a very detailed how-to guide on how to configure these nodes to have CA signed SSL certificates using custom domain names.

The different documentation I have found for service fabric only describes self-signed certificates, which are of no use when dealing with public SSL web sites. And I cannot find any service fabric related documentation for setting up custom DNS names.

62 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Capability to explore actor instances

The Service Fabric Explorer shows you what services & actor types are deployed on the cluster but when developing Actors it is sometimes hard to determine if there are instances for a specific Actor or how many are currently running.

In some scenarios it would be nice to explore the cluster and see all the instances that are present or even have a look at their state.
    This would allow me to see if I successfully instantiated an instance of an Actor instead of building functionality in my system for this and check with the ActorProxy.

Or am I missing…

56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Enable a cross-platform development story (along with publishing)

The x-plat story for PaaS is a huge help for adoption (Win/OSX/Linux). Most other dev stories are getting this attention in the MSFT space; seems a shame not to enable creation of first-class cloud systems along with the next killer mobile/web app.

53 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. instead of having to use a vm to host service fabric services, have it as a service

i don't want to have a vm anywhere in the mix, just have a service where we can publish our service fabric services to.

thnx a lot

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Windows IoT support

Maybe a crazy idea, but it would be nice, if we can Service Fabric on Windows IoT devices.
    I think on running small micro services for example on a cluster of Raspberry PI 3 at home for Home Automation...

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. Allow to manage environment variables for cluster

There should be option to set environment variables in exactly same way as for Azure WebApps, that is via Azure Portal (and Powershell). If variable changes, it should be automatically updated on all nodes hosting cluster. Currently, configuring environments is very painful and we don't want to store production database connection strings in source code.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Testable Service Fabric

Make it Possible to write Unit/Integration Tests for Service Fabric properly.
    Reset or Remove all Actor/Service States is one option to achieve it.

The Problem is that Tests don't run on an clean Cluster.

50 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Support instance count of 0

Currently when trying to set Instance Count to 0 following error is returned:
    The InstanceCount value '0' is invalid. InstanceCount should be a positive integer or -1.

I think it would be worth to allow 0. This is useful in cases where you have multiple clusters hosting the same app but on some clusters given service is not needed.
    I.E. we have an Azure SF cluster per each client. We have introduced new service which is basically calling other 3rd party service and this is going to be used by some speciffic clients only, therefore it makes sense to have…

46 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Support ARM and Raspberry Pi

The biggest change I could see to support Raspberry Pi is the need to support joining and leaving the cluster much faster. I could see the computational Mesh having nodes added and removed based on proximity and other things of the like. It would be nice in this case to also support split brain and not stop when a majority cannot be reached. There are techniques like CRDTs (conflict-free replicated data type) and other techniques that can give you strong eventual consistency. Even some apps especially those that involve computation at the edge, i.e. raspberry pi don't need such strong…

45 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. consider supporting service fabric on nano server

having the ability to run azure service fabric on nano server should have a lot of advantages. the smaller footprint of nano-server should allow smaller servers per node, but also leave more resources of powerfull servers for the application that are'nt required for the OS. further by design nano-server would have fewer attack-surface for attackers and require fewer updates that require a node to reboot. i understand the issues that currently prevent service fabric from running on nano-server, like the need for full dotnet-framework. but please keep considering this as a future-option :)

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Service Fabric

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base