How can we improve Microsoft Azure Service Fabric?

Reliable pub-sub framework

Pub-sub is a common pattern in cloud applications. It would be great to have a reliable implementation of it out of the box.

1,049 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
AdminAzure Service Fabric [MSFT] (Admin, Microsoft Azure) shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Edward Mindlin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I up-voted this but found I was able to implement this using RabbitMQ on-premise as the "pub sub" engine. A WCF-Custom Binding for services made it easy to publish a message using the WCF-Custom RabbitMQ Client Binding, and then have multiple WCF based services in Service Fabric using a custom listener bound to RabbitMQ fo "subscribed" messages... Some scenarios had both the WCF-Custom client and service side bindings both running in Service Fabric. This worked both on-premise and hosted in Azure...

• Alex Marshall commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd very much like to see this, especially now that my company is evaluating adoption of Service Fabric and running some PoCs.

• Mark Fernando commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a great addition for sure. Specially when your cluster environment is on premise. So you dont need to have another cluster for message broker.

• Peter Bons commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Francesc: sure you can use Azure Service Bus or other components but for service to service communication inside the cluster not having to resort to an external component can help de build decoupled services for zero additional costs

• Francesc Castells Vilalta commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I don't understand this requirement. Why not use one of the many existing messaging technologies? Azure Service Bus for example. If you need a higher level abstraction of the messaging technology you can use an existing framework like MassTransit or NServiceBus.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm not sure what Azure Event Hub does and how it compares to Azure Service Bus.
    Still I'd love to have any easy to use and scalable pub/sub framework on SF.

There are quite some products out there... rabbitMQ, Kafka... MQTT is a transport and probably has a different scope - but it works very well :)
    I'm *not* a a big fan of AMQP btw.

• Peter Ritchie commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Do you mean like a type of reliable collection? Messaging between different types of services in Service Fabric requires an external queue and you could just use one that supports pub/sub.

• MedAnd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Support the equivalent of ActorProxyEventExtensions in Services so that Services can subscribe to events

Feedback and Knowledge Base