How can we improve Microsoft Azure Service Fabric?

Lower end pricing to get familiar with the framework in Azure

I was really hoping there would be a low tier option to Develop on for those of us with limited infrastructure. I went to spin up a cluster and start playing today, but the minimum was 5 A1 VMs which would be over $200. Any chance we could get a lower end tier or tone it down to 1 VM to get familiar with the platform with the ability to scale it out?

256 votes
Vote
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
You have left! (?) (thinking…)
Matt shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

16 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: oidc
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I guess I will stick with Kubernetes, no developer cost. So no learning service fabric and hence no service fabric development\jobs within my foreseeable future.

• Simon Luckenuik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

You can use bronze durability to lower to 3 A0 nodes (test mode). You can also run locally to get familiar with part of the tooling.

Being able to run this on just 1 or two small VMs would be very useful for tesing environments. You want the setup to be the same as production just at a much smaller scale.

• Marcel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's implemented :) ! Now you can choose A0 VMs and with reliability tier "Bronze" you can use only 3 Nodes!
    Thx to Azure Service Fabric Team

• Munjal Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any updates here? I was really hoping to give this a try but I guess I will have to use Akka.NET for now.

• Munjal Patel commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Service Fabric is something we would love to use for our new project. But even for the production stack we cannot simply spin up 5 of A1 VMs. It's not justifiable. We should be able to downscale the cluster to 3 of A0 VM nodes and scale up the cluster as needed.

• CuriousGeorge commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Simply supporting A0 instances would make this affordable for dev/test even if I need 5 nodes. I'd vote heavily in favor of supporting A0 and keeping the 5 node requirement over lowering to 3 nodes but A1 being the lowest VM size.

• Pete Lea commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would seem reasonable to drop this to perhaps 3x(A0 or A1) instances. This way it keeps the redundancy but lowers compute. Although being able to choose any configuration (1VM etc) would be perfect for development.

As awesome as service fabric is, we just can't justify the current pricing tier for 95% of projects (given that we have to convince our clients).

This is not only just needed for developers, but also needed in full-production. I should be allowed to downsize a cluster to 1 VM if I want to. I understand we will lose fault-tolerance and risk high availability, but so be it (this should be our choice).

This is a must have feature (+3 votes). Due to NDA constraints, I cannot mention the project, but we are talking about approx 40-50 clusters of varying sizes. However, we do need clusters with as few as 1-2 VMs.

• che commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I wish we had something like party clusters but for production use. In other words, I wish I didn't gave to worry about VMs. Just let me specify the number of replicas and deploy my code. Azure should then take care of putting it on VMs or Containers and just bill me for the compute, RAM and network I use.

• Andreas Bohn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@Mark Fussel: Have seen this, this is really nice for a quick jump in into playing around first time with a real cluster in the cloud using toy apps & services. But everyone can see my apps and potentially my data.

As a developer and MSDN subscriber I would like to see the ability to create really downscaled fabric clusters, i.e. a 3 node cluster with the smallest VM size possible, using my subscription azure credits. These developer clusters would not need a production SLA, they would be a dev sandbox for code and data *wich is protected in my own cluster* rather than viewable by any other party cluster guest.

• Mark Fussell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As a very short term measure we have enable the ability to deploy to a set of free clusters with limited time on each. This at least provides you with the ability to do an immediate test on an Azure cluster. See http://aka.ms/tryservicefabric

• William commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agree. Even for a good size business, that seems pretty aggressive to start with 5 nodes. I don't think I could reason people into starting with 5. I could with 2 in a non-production scenario. I could see using a job back-end micro-services for now. As jobs can be moved or rerun if issues. But can not really move production Web services to preview yet.

Feedback and Knowledge Base