Service Fabric

Do you have an idea, suggestion, or feedback based on your experience with Azure Service Fabric? We would love to hear from you.

Please take a few minutes to submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Service Fabric customer. All the feedback shared in these forums are being monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft Azure Service Fabric team.

Please remember this forum is for Azure Service Fabric, and if you have feedback on other Microsoft products, services or platforms, please submit your feedback in the appropriate forum (found on the right hand side).

Thanks for your feedback – we look forward to improving your satisfaction with Azure Service Fabric

1. Portal support for backup and restore

Azure portal should have an option to backup and restore the Service fabric application and allow to setup timer jobs to take the backups.

Service fabric features are good if we add this feature also there wont be any issue for maintenance in future of these type of applications

41 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. consider supporting service fabric on nano server

having the ability to run azure service fabric on nano server should have a lot of advantages. the smaller footprint of nano-server should allow smaller servers per node, but also leave more resources of powerfull servers for the application that are'nt required for the OS. further by design nano-server would have fewer attack-surface for attackers and require fewer updates that require a node to reboot. i understand the issues that currently prevent service fabric from running on nano-server, like the need for full dotnet-framework. but please keep considering this as a future-option :)

44 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Provide extensibility points for Service Fabric Remoting

The service fabric remoting library is great, though not very extensible.

I have two immediate needs to satisfy before I can migrate to using the service fabric.

• Pass a custom header context. This is readily available by inheriting from the ServiceRemotingDispatcher alongside creating an implementation of IServiceRemotingClient.

• Provide a custom data contract serializer / resolver. I cannot find any way to do this outside of completely writing my own transport.

In digging through the service fabric remoting code I am discovering that most everything is marked internal and the code is so heavily coupled to internal classes that almost nothing…

86 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Add support for YAML config

I would like to use an easier to read format for ApplicationManifest, ApplicationParameters, and PublishProfiles config files. Ideally as YAML or JSON (see JSON suggestion for voting).

For YAML, see attached files for proposed format.

Proposed structure changes:
    In ApplicationManifest.yml, I was able to take advantage of json's schemaless notation to reduce a level of nesting by using "ServiceFabricServiceType": "Stateful". If necessary this could be represented more similarly to the current XML format.

In ApplicationParameters.Cloud.yml, I made the parameters key/value pairs rather than complex objects. Again, this could be reverted if needed.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Client Certificate Authentication

I have a Web API which has to be hosted in Service Fabric Cluster and it should support Basic Authentication and Client Certificate Authentication (Two way SSL)

228 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Proved equivalent of Spring Cloud Dataflow

Enable the ability to easily compose simple applications together into a pipeline and to allow scaling those apps independently. Also, allow using kafka as a way to communicate between applications. See Spring Cloud Dataflow.

13 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Add service management options to fabric explorer

The current context options in the SF Explorer allows deployment and deletion of Application and Services, as well as manage Nodes (pause, restart...)

I would like the option to control the deployed services more explicitly like restarting a service and be able to start and stop them (without SF trying to restart them). This would be very usefull during development.

15 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. MultiDatacenter & Multi Region Support in Azure Service Fabric

At this moment Azure Service Fabric allow us to deploy a cluster in single region. (Need to specify region)

How we can have multi region deployment so we can failover and performance improvement by deployment to near data-center. Document state that a cluster publish in single data center on deployment so again this is again leads to get system down on something wrong to data center.

Can you please update me if this is your plate to work on and is this feature is coming soon.

218 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Fix "Object is closed" error after local cluster reset

http://stackoverflow.com/a/42232412/10245

Connect-ServiceFabricCluster : The object is closed.
    At line:1 char:1
    + Connect-ServiceFabricCluster
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : InvalidOperation: (:) [Connect-ServiceFabricCluster], FabricObjectClosedException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : CreateClusterConnectionErrorId,Microsoft.ServiceFabric.Powershell.ConnectCluster

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Create a Reliable Cache like Redis

I'm using Azure Redis as cache but would be fantastic to have a similar service built in the Reliable Collections.

74 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Stop VMs

Need the ability to shut down a cluster's VM's to save cost when not in use. For a development/QA environment, it'd make sense to be able to deprovision VM's to save on cost

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Security Groups for Service Fabric Explorer

For multiple teams that would share Service Fabric clusters it would be nice to set security groups for the applications. This would not allow another team to create and delete another application

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Windows IoT support

Maybe a crazy idea, but it would be nice, if we can Service Fabric on Windows IoT devices.
    I think on running small micro services for example on a cluster of Raspberry PI 3 at home for Home Automation...

60 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Allow to manage environment variables for cluster

There should be option to set environment variables in exactly same way as for Azure WebApps, that is via Azure Portal (and Powershell). If variable changes, it should be automatically updated on all nodes hosting cluster. Currently, configuring environments is very painful and we don't want to store production database connection strings in source code.

52 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Allow Application Parameters to be specified when Explorer "create a new instance"

Using Explorer, if I "create an app instance" of Application Type, I need to be able to specify the string values of Parameters for that new instance (eg to have different behaviours from existing instances)

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Integrate with Azure Application Insights

It would be really great if SF can send telemetry to Azure Application Insights.

43 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Visual Studio Event Log for Standalone SF Cluster like Azure Clusters and Dev Clusters

For a StandAlone cluster there isn't an easy way to access the event logs of the whole cluster like when running the services on the development machine or on Azure, it would be good for monitoring to be able to access the live log of a Standalone Cluster.

16 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Bind Load Balancer to Services (for hosting ASP.NET projects on limited amount of nodes)

Service Fabric should be able to create/configure Load Balancers for certain services and it should synchronize the Load Balancer in case of placement changes.

Right now there is one load balancer configured for the whole cluster. This means, every service that should be accessible through a public endpoint must be placed on every node. This is a waste of resources in cases where these services don't need this scale-out factor. This means, these services are wasting RAM, disk space and CPU and it also takes longer to update these services.

Desired scenario: The cluster has 5 VMs, WebApp-1 is placed…

153 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Support continuous integration on build machines without the SDK installed

To build service fabric applications (*.sfproj) a MS Build .props and .target file are required. Those files are installed by the Service Fabric SDK. This presents a challenge in continuous deployment pipelines (ours is on Team Build) where a best practice is to keep build machines in a known, clean and maintainable state.

We would like to build Service Fabric apps in Team Build, but we don't want to install a specific version of the Service Fabric SDK onto those machines.

One solution could be to package the service fabric build artifacts as a nuget package, and then have *.sfproj

70 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    started  ·  2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Service Fabric

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base