Service Fabric

Do you have an idea, suggestion, or feedback based on your experience with Azure Service Fabric? We would love to hear from you.

Please take a few minutes to submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Service Fabric customer. All the feedback shared in these forums are being monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft Azure Service Fabric team.

Please remember this forum is for Azure Service Fabric, and if you have feedback on other Microsoft products, services or platforms, please submit your feedback in the appropriate forum (found on the right hand side).

Thanks for your feedback – we look forward to improving your satisfaction with Azure Service Fabric

1. Allow an option for services to run inside their own application domains

Currently services inside an application running on the same machine all run in the same application domain.

This means that if one of them crashes fatally it can take down all the other services as well.

They share the same set of statics that you may created causing possible unexpected issues.

It would be nice to be able to specify that when the service is started it's actually created in a new application domain.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Adding new service should automatically increase application version

I've created application with two services and successfully deployed it to the Azure Service Fabric cluster. After some time I've added a new service and wanted to deploy it without touching already deployed services. When I checked "Upgrade the Application" checkbox (in Visual Studio publish window) I couldn't deploy my application because there was an error thrown saying that application is in use. Probably it was related to the fact that when I've added a new service the application version didn't change. I could do publish with "Upgrade the Application" checkbox disabled, but then, my already deployed services would be…

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  3. Add support for custom headers

ActorProxy/ServiceProxy.Create should accept custom headers that can be accessed on the actor/service side, to communicate sideband information, in the same manner that HTTP headers works on client/server.

This would help creating highly composable applications, that can scale from user device to fabric deployments, by injecting the backend implementation into any stage in the pipeline.

8 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  5. Custom actor partitioning (hash) scheme

As a SaaS developer I want to use actor partitioning to implement multitenancy, where all actors for a given client tenant are collocated within a single partition. (My understanding is that this will keep them all on a single node, while keeping replicas of that partition spread across other nodes in the cluster.)

One approach: make ActorId subclassable with a virtual implementation of 'GetHashCode'. Perhaps a better option would be a virtual implementation of 'GetPartitionKey' that by default calls GetHashCode. Either way, I could then create my ActorIds following a pattern (supported by my subclass's constructor) of "partition-key" and "instance-id".

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide a consistent migration path for existing .Net non-cloud applications and developers

A lot of application that are currently deployed as N-Tier .Net applications use Winforms/WPF on the front end with WebApi or WCF Middle Tiers and Sql Server as the back end. A tutorial of how to migrate those kind of applications to Service Fabric would be great.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Easily allow publishing the same application twice but listening on different endpoints

I want to have a Web API lets say in have it listen on https://localhost/Environment1/api/

Now a completely separate instance of the same application deployed in the same cluster except now Web API is listening on https://localhost/Environment2/api/

I also want to do this with WCF, and the built in Remoting listeners very easily as well so that I can I have multiple different instances of the same application at the same version running in the same cluster just with different parameters like listeners, etc...

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. ServiceFabric OData

Allow access to ServiceFabric metrics & configuration data via an odata API

11 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Join a Domain in a Azure Virtual Network

To access a share on a Virtual Machine it is required for the Cluter to Join a Domain inside the Virtual Network. Please make it possible to join the cluster to a domain.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Allow ICommunicationListener to handle multiple endpoints

Our current services are engineered with a single HttpListener which registers all endpoint prefixes for our service (e.g. http and https). With the current Service Fabric model ICommunicationListener.OpenAsync requires us to return a single endpoint string. This not only imposes a non-trivial refactor upon us, but also seems to be a waste of resources in the service.
    It would be ideal if ICommunicationListener.OpenAsync could return an IEnumerable<string> for multiple endpoints.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. Merge AppFabric and ServiceFabric (Again)

Once, when AppFabric got anounced, it appeared that there were plans to set up a mesh-orientated inter-computer centric ComponentServices snapin replacing Com++ on the long run.
    As such, Service Fabric belongs into AppFabric, althemore, since it brings the successor of MSMQ, which in turn is adminisitratable within COM++.

I see no reason for two lonely and weak Service Fabric and App Fabric components.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Create SF services/actors targeting the .NET Core

Does VS provide the option to target the new .NET Core?

37 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Button to copy the name of application and services with one click

Button to copy the name of application and services with one click in the service fabric explorer

0 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Allow for non HA on premise production deployments

Right now you can create a virtual dev cluster on one machine or a real cluster on multiple machines. I want to be able to have real production deployments on 1 or 2 machines. I realize I will be losing some of the features by doing this but still a lot of the features are still applicable. This will give me the ability to have a low cost non HA mode to my apps with the ability to easily have a higher cost HA mode. In the non HA mode I will just rely on the same kind of simple…

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. Service Fabric SDK is MISSING!

I'm trying to download the SDK for a new dev machine, but all the links to the SDK from this page: https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/documentation/articles/service-fabric-get-started/ return a 404.

The installer I downloaded previously no longer works either because it cannot find the content to install. I need this urgently to continue development, please help.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Activity log on the service fabric explorer

As well as showing the current state the Service Fabric Explorer should show a cluster activity log of say 24 hours including information such as: Start Application X Upgrade, Completed Application X upgrade, Node 1 offline, Node 1 online etc.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Reduce the seemingly random "502, 503, 504" Situations caused by Azure Fabrics

We regularly get short outages in connectivity with our Azure Websites, WebJobs and even TrafficManger protected domains (we have several handfull of these across west and north Europe). Our systems are stable -- we have verified this in our logs -- but the connectivity simply drops off with "50X errors" to Sites or WebJobs or TrafficManger-Endpoints. This happens across the board (all of our systems) so cannot be attributed to a system failure. I suspect that the Azure "Fabric" causes these frustrating hick-ups. All we can do is wait, and pray, that it will be soon over :-)

9 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. Basics of service fabric

Please mention terminologies of service fabric, i.e what is cluster nodes actors stateless stateful clearly in proper documentation.It is very difficult for me to understand what's going on when i am coming from monolithic architecture background and have been in azure for few years.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Documentation that shows what the service endpoints are when trying to connect to an app on a service fabric cluster.

This may seem arbitrary, but I've created a reliable actor app with a ASP.Net Web API endpoint, but I can't figure out how to reach the endpoint once I publish it to my cluster. The documentation seems to assume that I'll know.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Visual Basic Support - Project Templates

Please provide some guidance on how to use Service Fabric in Visual Basic. A project template would atleast be a good start.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  • Don't see your idea?

Service Fabric

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base