Service Fabric

Do you have an idea, suggestion, or feedback based on your experience with Azure Service Fabric? We would love to hear from you.

Please take a few minutes to submit your feedback in one of the forums available on the right or vote up an idea submitted by another Azure Service Fabric customer. All the feedback shared in these forums are being monitored and reviewed by the Microsoft Azure Service Fabric team.

Please remember this forum is for Azure Service Fabric, and if you have feedback on other Microsoft products, services or platforms, please submit your feedback in the appropriate forum (found on the right hand side).

Thanks for your feedback – we look forward to improving your satisfaction with Azure Service Fabric

1. Use Hybrid Use Benefits for Azure Service Fabric Cluster based on Windows Server

Hi,
    it would be great to see the "hybrid use benefit program" - https://azure.microsoft.com/en-us/pricing/hybrid-benefit/ would allow me to host My Service Fabric Application in azure. currently it's running on Windows Server onpremise and the Servers are licenced with Windows Server Datacenter Edition + SA.

Unfortunatly it's not possible so far to select a PaaS: Azure Service fabric cluster based in Windows Server together with "Hybrid Use Benefits". i would like to avoid double License cost.

431 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Add HTTP/2 support for ServiceFabric reverse proxy

We would like to enable HTTP/2 on REST APIs hosted in ServiceFabric stateless services, and reverse proxy is a nice feature for enabling service-to-service communication. However, currently HTTP/2 is not supported in reverse proxy yet.

30 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Don't require ARM deployment to use Managed Identity

Per https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/how-to-deploy-service-fabric-application-user-assigned-managed-identity , managed identity can only be used when Service Fabric applications are deployed and upgraded via ARM templates. While it's great to have ARM template support, I've found it to be buggy, slow down deploys and upgrades, and in general it creates yet another layer in the tooling that is opaque and difficult to troubleshoot.

If using Azure, it should be possible to use Managed Identity in SF apps without requiring that all SF deploy operations go through ARM.

7 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. IoTEdge in a Docker Container

A larrge amount of infrastructure is deployed via Docker containers. It would be helpful to deploy IoTEdge via Docker.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Create a system managed identity for SF App w/o deploying code

Currently the ARM template used to assign a managed identity uses a Version object that requires an sfpkg. Therefore, the code is loaded and running immediately. Further, the permissions on the key vault cannot be added until the SF application exists. The code I am deploying reads its secrets on service start-up. So the permissions have not yet been granted, and nothing functions correctly. I see two possible ways forward: 1) Perform this deployment without requiring code. 2) Change New-AzureRmServiceFabricCluster so that is can take a ParameterObject argument. If it took its Parameters as an object instead of only via…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Please make this work on Visual Studio Online

I'm trying out the new Visual Studio Online ide, and would love to test out my service fabric services there!

When I run SetupServiceFabric.sh, it gives me an error.

vsonline:~/workspace$ sudo curl -s https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Azure/service-fabric-scripts-and-templates/master/scripts/SetupServiceFabric/SetupServiceFabric.sh | sudo bash
    bash: line 23: lsb_release: command not found
    Service Fabric is not supported on
    vsonline:~/workspace$

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Disallow cluster certificates as client certificates

Cluster certificates have two abilities - node-node communication, but also client-node communication.

It is hard for a cluster owner to see the ramifications of using the cluster cert as a client certificate. Doing such should be disabled by default to follow "secure by default" configuration and then allow it if someone really needs it.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  8. Allow redeploying a <3 node cluster with no changes

Today, you can deploy a 1 node SF cluster via ARM template. However, if you subsequently redeploy the same 1 node (or < 3 node) cluster (for development of course) via ARM template, it always fails with:

"code": "SingleNodeClusterUpdateNotAllowed", "message": "Single node cluster update not allowed. Updates are allowed for clusters having node count equal or greater than 3."

This is not an upgrade- nothing has changed. Every other ARM template deploy operation I've used is idempotent, but redeploying a 1 node SF template just fails.

It should detect whether the deployed ARM template would result in any unsupported changes…

10 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  9. Run Service Fabric Mesh at a high container-to-core ratio,

Is it possible to set it up with a 10:1 container to core ratio?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Make explorer compatible to services.AddApplicationInsightsTelemetry

After switching from AddApplicationInsights to AddApplicationInsightsTelemetry the installable fabric explorer can not communicate with apps running in the service fabric cluster of Azure. At least this is my impression. Please make adjustments to the fabric explorer software package.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  11. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  13. Add backup for Linux service fabric clusters

Hi,

At the moment, using SF on Linux is not realistic in production environments since automatic backup is not supported in it (as I can read in the following article https://docs.microsoft.com/sv-se/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-backuprestoreservice-quickstart-azurecluster)

6 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  14. Placement constraint for PatchOrchestrationApplication CoordinatorService

Choose the node type the service has to be installed.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  15. 1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Expose Custom ETW Events in the Service Fabric Explorer

One of the suggested ways to add logging to your Fabric services is to create a use the EventSource class to log ETW events but there does not appear to be any way to view these events from within the Service Fabric Explorer.
    It would be useful if there was somewhere you could enter the event source name/guid and have the Fabric Explorer listen to and log these events in the same way as the node related events that it currently displays in the Events tab.

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Alerts in Azure Portal and Service Fabric Explorer apps.

In Azure Portal and Service Fabric Explorer apps, when viewing any metric or dashboard, I'd like to be able to have a simple audible alert on my desktop when a simple threshold is violated. We are dealing with a recurring issue that would be improved by such a feature.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. subnet

To make Azure Service Fabric reference to an existing subnet, we can modify ARM template as document here: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-patterns-networking#existingvnet

Will it be possible to add this feature on Azure Portal? User can define their own subnet when creating SF on Azure portal.

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. All Applications in SF Explorer should also show total services in each application

SF explorer shows all applications list with Columns like Name Version health etc, there should be another column to show total service count in each application

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. Provide builtin encryption for the default RPC endpoints without client certificates.

Even you have a secure Cluster with Certificates, the communication is not encrypted.
    Currently i have to use: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/service-fabric/service-fabric-reliable-services-secure-communication#lf-content=177426351:775201656

It would be great if i could enable encryption support for Rpc-Endpoints like for HTTPS Endpoints in ApplicationManifest.

<Policies>
    <EndpointBindingPolicy EndpointRef="HttpsEndpoint" CertificateRef="MyCert" />
    <EndpointBindingPolicy EndpointRef="ServiceEndpoint" CertificateRef="MyCert" />
    </Policies>

224 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1 3 4 5 14 15
  • Don't see your idea?

Service Fabric