Logic Apps

Logic Apps allow developers to design workflows that articulate intent via a trigger and series of steps, each invoking an App Service API app whilst securely taking care of authentication and best practices like durable execution.
If you have any feedback or ideas on Azure Logic Apps we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Limit the number of concurrent logic app instances

Nice to see that the "singleton" feature has been introduced!
    Why not taking it one level further and make the number of allowed concurrent instances configurable?
    In this way, we can easily "throttle" the logic apps by configuration in case the backend system cannot handle a high load.

99 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    5 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. VNet Support for Logic Apps

Add VNet support to Logic Apps. Allow Logic Apps to plug into an existing VNet to support network isolation.

73 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. 56 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    6 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. set the degree of parallelism in both the for-each and splitOn

allow the degree of parallelism to be set in for-each loop and the splitOn option of a trigger.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Add a setting to the HTTP Listener API App that would cause x-www-form-urlencoded data in body to be translated to JSON object

When used in a Logic App, if I have a service that sends a request with x-www-form-urlencoded data in the body, I can't simply dot into the body to get at the data, but must first manually deal with translation. This makes the GET / POST behaviors a little inconsistent (since with GET I can dot into the QueryParameters object).

In absence of this, I would like to see a first party API App that decodes form urlencoded data so that we don't end up with 1,000 implementations of the same simple thing on the marketplace.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Add exponential back off and delta to retry policies

I'd like the retry policies (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt643939.aspx) to include support for Exponential backoff similar to what Polly (https://github.com/App-vNext/Polly) provides.

I've posted a SO question w/reason why this would be useful (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37493871/does-logic-apps-support-exponential-back-off-with-random-delta).

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  7. Aggregate a list of messages into a single message

Some connectors return a list of elements, but for some use cases it would be useful to group all elements in a single message.

Example scenario (basic version):
    - Twitter Connector queries for 10 most recent tweets about a subject
    - These 10 tweets are grouped in a single message
    - The SMTP or Office365 Connector sends a single email with these 10 tweets

An improved version of this scenario would be:
    - Every hour, Twitter Connector queries for 10 most recent tweets about a subject
    - At the end of the day, all tweets for the last 24 hours…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Webhook timeout and status

A Logic App waiting for a webhook callback receives a timeout exception after one hour. In order to make the Logic App more usefull in long running scenarions (days), we should be able to set a timeout for how long the Logic App will wait for a callback.

If no callback is received, it should be possible to detect it and take appropriate measures (signal failure, publish some log event etc).

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Actions can now be limited in its duration to a specific time interval. You can add the following syntax in code view to have your webhook action which, if the interval is reached before a request is received, will cancel the action after 10 seconds.
    "": {
    “type”: “workflow | webhook | http | apiconnectionwebhook | apiconnection”,
    “inputs”: { },
    “limit”: {
    “timeout”: “PT10S”
    }
    }

9. API Gateway Wizard/Service for Logic Apps

Manual (HTTP) triggers are a great way to expose logic apps to applications, but there are a series of drawbacks on that:

- Triggers only support one VERB (post)

- Endpoints are not user friendly
    - Authorization is based on shared secret only.

I suggest an API Gateway for logic apps, similar to the Web Service/WCF Services wizard provided by BizTalk, or the API brokering functionality provided by API Management. This would allow pro-integration developers to provide a first-class experience for end user developers and open the gates for other authentication/authorization and verb options.

12 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  10. Request Connector fails if request contains non defined querystring params

The Request connector generates a URL for a post however if the post contains any additional querystring params, it fails. Can you allow us to minimally define other acceptable querystring params to allow the request to be accepted and ultimately allow us to use these as dynamic content.

5 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Publish Action and Subscribe Trigger

Create a new 'Publish' Action that allows a Logic App to publish a message without the need for SB Queue. Additionally, create a new 'Subscribe' Trigger that can subscribe to any 'Publish' action within the same resource group of another Logic App. Degree of parallelism should be included in the 'Subscribe' trigger similar to splitOn. SB Q has message size limitations plus all of the complexities of using it with a LA. This model would greatly simplify a business event model.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  12. Provide BPM feature related to retry a step

Provide BPM feature related to retry a step at configurable intervals e.g. 5 minutes, 1 hour, 12 hours...

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  Kevin Lam responded

Logic Apps supports do-until which will allow you to call a child workflow that can include a Delay action which delays for a desired period of time between retries.

13. 4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Logic Apps supports converting between different data types using built-in workflow functions (@json(), @xml, @string, @encodebase64) as well as flat file encoding/decoding.

14. How can we protect manual trigger (Webhook) from Unauthorized access?

Before I was using HttpListener and there were the facility to define the access identifier such as Anonymous, Protected, Internal. But Now i am using the Manual trigger and I cant find the way to define the access property of trigger so that I can protect my trigger from unauthorized access.

4 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Logic Apps also supports the ability to put IP address constraints onto a logic app to restrict which endpoints can call the http endpoint. You can you also use API Management to provide more Auth options for the endpoint and lock down the Logic App to only be callable by your APIM instance.

15. Variables (was Parameters)

The ability to define "variables" within the workflow designer. This would/could effectively provide a graphical means of setting/getting @parameters. Perhaps they're different in that $connections should probably not be displayed, etc. In this way, they could be referenced in a manner similar to properties from other activities (e.g. "Path" of Create Blob).

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  16. Offer a polling loop

Currently the Logic App designer seems to offer recurrence triggers only. We found such periodic triggers hardly ever useful in real-world applications. Overlapping action processing (when processing takes
    longer than the interval) often leads to unnecessary complexity like duplicates and unwanted concurrency.

A scenario would be: polling for new files in a directory aan processing them. (I know using FileSystemWatcher events might be a better solution here). Enumerating the files taking longer than the polling interval results in overlapping file detection and/or processing which leads to all sorts unnecessary complexity.

Typical patterns we currently use instead of interval timers are…

3 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Logic Apps now has the abiity to run a single instance of a particular logic app at a time. Currently this is only available in code view but we will soon add it to the designer as well. In code view you can add
    “operationOptions”: “singleInstance”
    to your recurrence trigger to only allow a single instance to run at a time.

17. Support for standard HTTP Verbs and not just POST natively

New preview with refresh 2 only supports Http Post as a trigger. Previous preview had an option of using other verbs like Get natively. An enterprise grade technology like this must support other verbs as well and do not rely on other paid services like API Management for translation especially if you are not porting an existing API. Using API Management service means additional cost and more hops, both of which are expensive.

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  18. "Child" flows

You can currently run a logic from inside one but you can't wait for it to finish and get results. add the ability to run a logic app, wait for it to complete, and get its outputs in the parent

2 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Logic Apps has native support for calling child workflows that will wait for it to complete.

19. Logic App name length bug?

When creating a Logic App the max length of the name is 64, but this seems to be invalid. When creating an Logic App, Azure adds Microsoft.EmptyWorkflow- infront of the name, making the actual max length 30?

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  20. toArray and toObject functions

One of the hardest things to work though syntactically is to setup the inputs to a call where you're adding additional properties to an existing value, stuff like this:
    "Properties": "@union( triggerBody()?['Properties'], actionBody('getFailed')[0]?.error, json( concat('{"LastCode": "', string(actionBody('getFailed')[0]?.code), '"}')))",

These things are really difficult because of the need to pass everything through a string parser to convert back to json, and I often find myself running out of allowable quotes.

I propose some functions

@toArray( obj) - wrap obj in an array

@toObject( key1, obj1, key2, obj2...) - create object with properties.

I'd be interested if someone has found some simple…

1 vote
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Logic Apps

Categories