Logic Apps

Logic Apps allow developers to design workflows that articulate intent via a trigger and series of steps, each invoking an App Service API app whilst securely taking care of authentication and best practices like durable execution.
If you have any feedback or ideas on Azure Logic Apps we’d love to hear it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Ability to pass a dynamic information from one action to another

I would like to declare a variable in one action, assign it a value dynamically and use this variable in all other subsequent actions.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    1 comment  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. set the degree of parallelism in both the for-each and splitOn

allow the degree of parallelism to be set in for-each loop and the splitOn option of a trigger.

24 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  1 comment  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add triggers to O365 Planner connector

It's good to have the O365 Planner connector in place now. But an essential thing is missing. Triggers!
    I want to be able to start a process by updating/creating tasks.

23 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  4. Lightweight mapping (of Json or XML) using either XSLT or XQuery without the BizTalk (and all the legacy Visual Studio) dependencies

Far too much overhead in creating a map file - it would be nice to have a more lightweight mapping connector not tied to BizTalk services so I could just upload my XSLT or XQuery transforms which I could author wherever I want.

The main issue with the BizTalk Services dependencies is that I now need to spin up a new VM, download an .ISO image of an older version of Visual Studio from MSDN, download and install all the SDK stuff (and all the dependencies associated) and all just to author a map! And if anything breaks in between…

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Enterprise Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Kevin Lam responded

Logic Apps supports the Transform XML action that allows you to reference an XLST.

5. Azure AD - GetUser outputs

User information that can be acquired with GetUser action
    I want the level equivalent to Get-MsolUser
    (Example "ImmutableId")

22 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  6. Provide authoring history

Currently you can automate your deployments to Logic Apps or author the flow in the browser.

Unfortunately it's hard to keep track of what changed the flow and when. It would be nice to have a full authoring history that expose at least the following information:
    - List of contributers and whom edited it last time
    - What has changed between each new save
    - Possibility to rollback to a certain version
    - Certain version number or unique identiefier
    - Capability to add a small description when saving to describe the change

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Management  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Logic Apps now supports versioning of Logic Apps. Every Logic App saved has a version id, you can promote any version to be the active version, you can see each version of the saved logic apps, and ARM provides auditing capabilities so you can see who has made any changes.
    Note that Logic Apps tooling for Visual Studio provides source control integration which addresses many of these asks as well.

7. AS2 Connector with ability to return MDNs to logic app.

Allow the AS2 connector to be configured to return MDNs received (async or sync) to the logic app. Business requirements require that we generate alerts on NAcks (so if the AS2 connector could process them and return the [Good MDNs] and [Bad MDNs] would be great).

21 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Allow CRM Connector to receive the body input directly from another action

Give the ability to pass a json to the CRM connector in order to create advanced scenarios where the input parameters need to be defined dynamically.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    completed  ·  2 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a setting to the HTTP Listener API App that would cause x-www-form-urlencoded data in body to be translated to JSON object

When used in a Logic App, if I have a service that sends a request with x-www-form-urlencoded data in the body, I can't simply dot into the body to get at the data, but must first manually deal with translation. This makes the GET / POST behaviors a little inconsistent (since with GET I can dot into the QueryParameters object).

In absence of this, I would like to see a first party API App that decodes form urlencoded data so that we don't end up with 1,000 implementations of the same simple thing on the marketplace.

20 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    3 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Add Visual Studio Online Connector for Logic Apps

Add Visual Studio Online Connector for Logic Apps. Add tasks, bugs and other VSO items via Logic Apps.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    4 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ordered delivery

Ordered delivery is built into Biztalk and many customers need this ability. Logic apps do not address this important feature on Enterprise Integration scenarios, but maybe they should.

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Enterprise Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Logic Apps supports ordered delivery with connectors that respect order like Service Bus. You can either read messages from a regular queue with the trigger configured as a singleInstance or use Service Bus Sessions which provides correlated in-order delivery.

12. Workflow Support

Logic apps are used to build workflows. It’s my impression that you should think of workflows like bridge services implementing the VETER pattern with a rich variety of connectors on the inbound side and the outbound side. You should not think of workflows like BizTalk orchestrations. That means: no state persistence, no transaction support, no possibility to implement rich integration patterns. The first question is: do I make the right assumption about orchestrations? The second question is: Are BizTalk type of orchestrations expected to be part of the Azure App Services framework in the near future?

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Add exponential back off and delta to retry policies

I'd like the retry policies (https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt643939.aspx) to include support for Exponential backoff similar to what Polly (https://github.com/App-vNext/Polly) provides.

I've posted a SO question w/reason why this would be useful (http://stackoverflow.com/questions/37493871/does-logic-apps-support-exponential-back-off-with-random-delta).

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    0 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. BizTalk Transform Service API App - Support JSON Input and Output

When dealing with REST API Apps that return JSON and wanting to use the BizTalk Transform Service API App you have to first convert XML to JSON using the JSON Encoder API App. It would be great if the BizTalk Transform Service API App has the ability to receive JSON and return JSON (configure input as XML or JSON and output as XML and JSON). Inside the BizTalk Transform Service API App you would then perform the exact same logic as the JSON Encoder API App when the input is JSON and/or the output is JSON. This would reduce 2…

19 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    1 comment  ·  Enterprise Integration  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    completed  ·  Kevin Lam responded

You can use the built in JSON function within the property of the connector that you are calling so you can be explicit about the conversion but not require calling another connector to convert it.

15. Use Microsoft Forms as a trigger

Allow events in Microsoft Forms to be a trigger: (a) when a survey is created (b) when a survey closes (c) when there's a new entry to a survey

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Connectors  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. FTP trigger "When a file is added or modified" should not raise RequestEntityTooLarge

This trigger should not try to retrieve the content of a new or updated FTP file. Because we need to trigger an action, whatever the file size !
    Thanks

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  17. Add Branching Logic to Flow

Branching logic would allow multiple workflow processes to run simultaneously. Based on the current functionality it would be very difficult to use Flow for any complex approval scenarios. Right now it's limited to a very linear path with conditions. I would love to have options like: For Each, Conditional Branch, Filter, Loop.

18 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Designer  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  18. event hub

Add a connector for Event Hub to allow creating a stream from a Logic App

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
  19. Aggregate a list of messages into a single message

Some connectors return a list of elements, but for some use cases it would be useful to group all elements in a single message.

Example scenario (basic version):
    - Twitter Connector queries for 10 most recent tweets about a subject
    - These 10 tweets are grouped in a single message
    - The SMTP or Office365 Connector sends a single email with these 10 tweets

An improved version of this scenario would be:
    - Every hour, Twitter Connector queries for 10 most recent tweets about a subject
    - At the end of the day, all tweets for the last 24 hours…

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Workflow runtime  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Ternary Operator for Expression Language

I can't find one listed in the language definition. Coalesce
    is the closest thing I could find already implemented, but given ternary, we could build coalesce for ourselves ;-)

17 votes
    Vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Logic Apps

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base