Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Add official support for API Management Service in ARM Templates

I would like to deploy an API Management Service using ARM Template. I managed to get it working but since the service takes about 30 min to activate the deployment, for some reason, will never change to "Succeeded" and the deployment script never finish.

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create a "Tag Administrator" role

As a person responsible for maintaining tags on resources, I need a "Tag Administrator" role which allows me to create, modify, and delete tags WITHOUT allowing me to make other configuration changes to the associated resource.

I had hoped that the "Microsoft.Resources/tags/*" RBAC action would allow the setting of tags on any resource but sadly it does not -- perhaps it could? Otherwise, a ".../tags/write" action will be needed on each resource that supports tags.

In order to edit tags at present, I basically have to be granted "Contributor" access to the resource, which is not ideal and does not…

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. ARM Template - Automate Azure Function Event Grid Subscription

Presently using ARM I can automate the creation of an Azure Function Subscriber that has a HTTP trigger.

"properties": {
    "destination": {
    "endpointType": "WebHook",
    "properties": {
    "endpointUrl": "[listsecrets(resourceId('Microsoft.Web/sites/functions', parameters('azurefunctions_name'), parameters('azurefunctions_loadTcsItemSubscription')),'2015-08-01').trigger_url]"
    }
    },
    "filter": {
    "includedEventTypes": [
    "All"
    ]
    }
    },

I am however unable to do the same for an Azure Function Event Grid trigger, there seems to be no way of accessing the master key. Can this be added to an upcoming release. please.

Many Thanks

Paul

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Reference Resource IDs in Get VM API

Source: https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/azure/mt163682.aspx

In the Get VM API, have the response data contain provider resource IDs or URIs or some reference, similar to the below:

{
    name: 'example'
    id: '/subscriptions/<subId>/resoruceGroups/<rgName>/providers/Microsoft.Comput/virtualMachines/example'
    properties: {
    virtualNetwork: {
    id: '/subscriptions/<subId>/resourceGroups/<rgName>/providers/Microsoft.Network/virtualNetworks/examplevn/'
    name: 'examplevn'
    }
    storageAccount: {
    id: '/subscriptions/<subId>/resoruceGroups/<rgName>/providers/Microsoft.Storage/storageAccounts/examplesa/'
    name: 'examplesa'
    }
    }
    }

currently, in order for a user to get the reference virtual network or storage account from a virtual machine api (listed above), they have to hack around using the vnIface ID or poll a different endpoint for storage accounts (resource.blob.core.windows.net/vhds/vhds.vhd)

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Please remove link between resources and their name, allowing to rename resources without the need to delete and recreate it

Please remove link between resources and their name, allowing to rename resources without the need to delete and recreate it.
    eg : Resource Group, Virtual Network, Virtual Machine, ...

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Please provide compatible service.

Recently you provide ARM model. But unfortunatelly we need to modify our powershell script to change from ASM to ARM. This tasks and costs are big impact for us in a position of finance and human resources.

Could you please provide compatible service which is the same feature of previous service in the future? Or could you provide more guidance documentation to migrate to new service from old one?

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Drag drop interface for ARM templates like AWS CloudFormation designer

A visual tool allowing drag and drop of azure Azure resourcessimilar to AWS Cloud Formation designer tool.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Allow Tags to be set at the Subscription level

Like Resource Groups, allow tags on subscriptions so we can have subscription wide values. Having this, we could have automation task that read tags at subscription level and then check if the value is overridden at Resource Group or Resource level.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create a resource group template in Azure Storage when a new resource group is created

When a new resource group is created in the Azure Preview Portal it would be nice were an equivalent resource group template to be saved into Azure Storage. This is done when resource group templates are used directly. I thought GCE did a nice job of always providing a script equivalent for each portal action - it helped improve understanding of scripted deployments.

8 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Show Azure Storage <StaticWebsite> setting when query in Azure Resource Graph

It's not possible to query Storage <StaticWebsite> setting in Azure Resource Graph to see which accounts have this feature enabled or not. I understand ARG is based on ARM properties returned by management API, and it seems the ARM response for storage account does not have this data-plane property.
    However I think it should be included in the response as it's a general property for StorageV2 accounts. It's not convenient for users and we need to get this info from Storage API - https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/storageservices/get-blob-service-properties)

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Tag Inheritance from Resource Group

Be able to set tags at a resource or management group level that are inherited down to all child resources. For example, being able to set a tag for "AccountNum" or "ResponsibleParty" should be able to set at the resource group level, and then marked to apply to all child resources. It is important that any changes to the tag at the resource group level would automatically be reflected on the child resources as well.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Make "moving resources" actually work

Having moved a lot of resources to a new subscription, I can tell you:

(1) Sometimes it works

(2) Sometimes it fails, and if you do it again it works

(3) Sometimes it works, but your resources are missing, and you have a heart attack for 10-15 minutes until they magically reappear

(4) Sometimes it works, but stays in stuck in "Moving resources" for hours, and Google says maybe it will time out eventually (this is where I'm at now)

All this in a small business account in afternoon. Is anything tested at Azure?

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  13. Decouple Load Balancer from Port Forwarding

Right now, you have to create a load balancer just to achieve simple port forwarding for a single VM created using ARM. These really should be two separate resources. It seems like a "port forwarding" resource would live between the PIP and the LB with a PIP -> PF -> LB chain so that you could re-use it in other scenarios.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Resource Group property for ARM templates

The target Resource Group for the deployment should be definied in the JSON and POST'ed to a deployment endpoint.
    First and foremost this would allow for easier and faster reuse of templates thanks to being able to give a Resource Group a default value.

Secondly (this is the main reason for implementing this) this would allow to deploy globally spanned multi-tier applications into specific Resource Groups that make sense for life-cycling reasons.

If you want to achieve this you would have to create the deployment automation yourself.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Creation/updation of Metric alert on Application Insights's Custom metric through ARM should be allowed even if there is no data emitted.

As of today, if there is no data emitted in the past 24 hours for a custom metric at app insights, ARM does not allow to create or update a metric alert and shows "metric name not found" Error.

To create/update an alert we have to wait for the data logging/emitting which does not make sense. It leaves us to perform two ARM deployment while it can be achieved in a single one.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

16. Support condition on DataDisk in ARM templates

Add support for the condition element on DataDisks. At the moment I get this error:
    Could not find member 'condition' on object of type 'DataDisk'. Path 'properties.storageProfile.dataDisks[0].condition'

If I try to do this:
    "dataDisks": [
    {
    "condition": "[equals(parameters('CreateDataDisk'), 'Yes')]",
    "name": "[concat(parameters('VMName'),'-E')]",
    "diskSizeGB": "[parameters('DataDisk1Size')]",
    "lun": 0,
    "createOption": "Empty",
    "managedDisk": {
    "storageAccountType": "[parameters('DataDisk1SKU')]"
    }
    }
    ],

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Use secret from keyvault in parameter defaultValue

Now the only way to get a secret is to pass it in each parameters file, it would be very useful to get a secret from keyvault in parameter default value. We are heavily rely on keyvault for our parameters.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Reference() in conditional noop should also be skipped

Currently, I have a reference() in a resource that is set to condition=false. The referenced resource itself is also in the template and set to condition=false. When I submit my template, the reference function is still evaluated and throws a not found error at run time. This behavior seems inconsistent with idea of having conditional logic. Please update it so that references are not evaluated from conditional false resources.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Allow Managed Applications to be created in already existing resource groups.

We are looking into creating a Service Catalog using Managed Applications, but it seems counter intuitive that you need a new resource group for each Managed App.

In our customers environment we grant different users permission to 1 certain resource group, and only in that resource group they have more or less permissions to do what they want, except for a few things we limit with policies and RBAC.

Considering we have more than 500 VMs on premises, and the maximum resource groups per subscription is 800, and with 2 Resource Groups per Managed App, that limit can quickly be…

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. VM/VMSS extensions conditions support

I have a Service Fabric Cluster in Azure and for prod/preprod environment I'm monitoring it with OMS.
    For Dev environment - we don't need OMS, because it will generate a lot of noise.
    To monitor VMSS or VM- we are using VM extension with OMS agent configured in arm template, but currently "Conditions" supported only on resource level, and not on a property level or resource extension method.

Add support of condition not only on resource level, but also on a resource extension level.

https://github.com/rjmax/Build2017/blob/master/Act1.TemplateEnhancements/Chapter05.ConditionalResources.NewOrExisting.json

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base