Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Increase Keyvault Reference Limit in Parameters from 29 to 60+

As of right now, the communicated limit for keyvault references in a parameters file is "30", but is actually in practice 29 (appears to be a bug?).

This limitation is quite low for mature systems. Take, for example, the following potential data points:

- Multiple SQL ids/passwords, storage account keys, AI instrumentation, Redis cache credentials, etc. for connection strings
    - App to app communication creds/API keys
    - Programmatically created dynamically named/numbered resources
    - References to signing keys for different purposes

Many of the clients I work with are struggling with this issue, which seems easily fixable by increasing the limit…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

3 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog. Since this request came out of an escalation, I’ve engaged the feature owner to take a look and suggest next best step to validate and resolve the reported bug.

2. Azure ARM Templates vague error messages

The request content was invalid and could not be deserialized: 'Required property 'type' not found in JSON. Path 'properties.template.resources[0].resources[2]', line 1, position 4150.'. (Code: InvalidRequestContent)

I just find that error messages like these are no help what so ever. Example, (line 1, position 4150). Can we get a little more specific?

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Show "created by" user

It would be handy if the Properties blade showed the Created By user so we didn't have to search through audit logs. Creation Date, Last Modified Date, and Last Modified By would also potentially be useful.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. Reset account

I want to have ability to reset account

19 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Identity function for Azure Resource Manager Templates to know who submitted the deployment

It would be good to be able to have a something that returned the user that requested the deployment, either the UPN or the AAD object Id. This can then be used to

* Tag the resource with the details of who created/last updated.
    This would be great to avoid the masss of resources created without anyone knowing who created them. Thus helping audit and manageability.
    If its a function it could be used in policy and thus enforced tagging.

* Add permissions based on the user doing the deploy.
    The last one is useful for the developer scenario where…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. ARM Template "Dry Run" command

It would be really useful if the PS/CLI commands to interact with ARM Templates had a 'Dry Run" command that would build out a resource list that could be used to verify the execution of the provided ARM Template.

An example of this concept would be the AngularCLI dryrun flag that illustrates the created/modified files for when it executes.

The benefit of this would be to verify that the resources are created as expected without having to generate all the resources which is time consuming and could be costly for some resource types. This would also be helpful when testing…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Set schedule to delete deployments history

Currently, The deployment history limits are 800 per resource group so if we will use many resources for long term, we might be upper limit.
    I hope we can use a feature that setting schedule to delete the history.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Make the -whatif flag for Template Deployments report changes

When running the New-AzureRmResourceGroupDeployment powershell command, the -whatif flag exists; however, it only reports that a deployment will be created with $name.
    It would be extremely convenient to run a ReadOnly deployment, which fully analyzes the template and all linked templates, and identifies every change that will be performed. By using this handy switch, unexpected production-level changes could be avoided.

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Ability to retrieve Principal ID

In my ARM template I am provisioning Key Vault and I need the user that is deploying the ARM template to be added as a Principal.

Since there is currently no way to retrieve the Principal ID from the ARM template we currently have to add the Principal manually.

I would rather automate this step by getting the Principal Id similar to how we can get the subscription ID (subscription().subscriptionId). Something like principal().principalId

17 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support HashTables in Azure Resource Manager (ARM) JSON Templates

It would be really great if Azure Resource Manager (ARM) JSON Templates supported HashTable variables, in addition to the other primitive types.

16 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Certificate Manager on Azure like AWS Certificate Manager

AWS has a Certificate Manager service that can easily provision, manage, and deploy public and private SSL/TLS certificates for use with AWS services.

https://aws.amazon.com/certificate-manager/

It would be great if Azure can provide similar service so that customers don't have to buy and bring their own ssl certificates when using Azure services.

I am aware that Azure CDN supports custom domains and it can automatically provision a custom ssl certificate for that domain for free. But you can't do similar things on Application Gateway, or Azure Web Apps, etc.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Support tags for individual machines in a Scaleset.

In AWS for example, an instance in an auto scaling group is exactly the same as any other instance and can be referenced individually by it's instance ID. Additionally, Azure itself has a unique "name" identifier for each instance in a Scaleset, why not just add this as it's resource identifier as well? It seems that It's impossible to individually tag instance in Azure VMSS as there is no resource type for VMSS instance, just for the type of Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachineScaleSets.

15 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. How to Delete Multiple Resource Group from Azure Portal ?

Dear Members,

I don't see Azure Resource Manager web portal is providing feature of selecting multiple resource group and get them deleted at one go. I am assuming that they should work on it and try to provide this web feature so that it can help Engineers while performing clean up activities.

Alternative way to perform this task.
    I believe that you would able to perform this activity using Powershell but in that also you have to keep on waiting until your one Remove-AzureRmRecourcegroup command get executed.

I can see some article related to this issue

https://www.yobyot.com/cloud/danger-will-robinson-or-how-to-bulk-delete-azure-resource-groups/2018/01/08/

Please suggest how…

14 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. ARM Template Builder GUI

As a User, it would be nice to build ARM Templates in a visual way. This would allow me to connect resources together, whether they exist or will need to be created at the time of building the template.

Example:
    Create an Azure Function App that has HTTP Trigger, with Queue Storage as ingress and Table Storage as egress. Managed by APIM.

This would create a template for me and deploy the resources as well. I could then define specifics within the interface I am creating the template visually.

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Add parameter to allow "temporary storage" drive letter to be specified at deploy-time

Provide option in ARM template to specify the driver letter assigned to "Temporary Storage". Currently defaulted to D:.

There was a similar, declined, suggestion from over 3 years ago: where MS suggested they were looking at improvements. @Corey Sanders goes on to say it would require another reboot, well, I currently use DSC to move it, and that requires another reboot, so it's neither here nor there, whether the additional reboot is fired by ""Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/" or "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions":
    https://feedback.azure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines/suggestions/5558184-please-move-temporary-drive-to-t-drive-instead-of

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support functions within the definition of parameters...

For example, instead of this...

"locations": {
    "type": "array",
    "minLength": 1,
    "allowedValues": [
    "westus",
    "eastus",
    ]
    }

... I'd prefer to write something like this:

"locations": {
    "type": "array",
    "minLength": 1,
    "allowedValues": "[providers('Microsoft.Web', 'serverfarms').Locations]"
    }

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Add nested resource groups

I would like to have nested resource groups. A scenario in which this can be usefull is in DTAP. You can create a resource group for the application/service; and within that resourcegroup you could create resource groups for all the DTAP stages. For Example: A resourcegroup called "MyApp" with resourcegroups "Dev", "Test", "Production" in it.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Full Power BI Embedded Workspace ARM Template support

I need the ability of creating Azure Power BI Embedded workspace resources using ARM Templates. Both flat and nested templates must be supported. I need the ability of setting Web App/API App/ Functions App Application Settings during deployment using the nested Power BI Embedded ARM template output parameters.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Change the location

Change the location for example change App service from western Europe to north Europe.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Add Set-AzSubscription cmdlet to Azure PowerShell AZ Module

New Azure PowerShell module (AZ) has a cmdlet (Get-AzSubscription) to get list of all the Azure subscriptions. I did not find similar (Set-AzSubscription) cmdlet which I could have then used / piped along with Get-AzSubscription cmdlet to change active subscription. I have to rather use Set-AzContext cmdlet to do the same. Set-AzContext though does have its counterpart Get-AzContext to get current subscription information.

Point is every 'get' cmdlet should be paired with a 'set' cmdlet to make it easy for user to understand its purpose.

11 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base