Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Create arrays from integer

Given an input parameter integer N, generate a variable of type array containing N entries, optionally with the incrementing value of the index included in the output.

For example, n = 5 could generate:

[ "storage0", "storage1", "storage2", "storage3", "storage4" ]

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Create ARM template function to convert between types

It would be great to be able to have an ARM template function to convert between types, for example cast(parameters('something'), int).

The scenario that I'm pursuing is to calculate automatically an IP of a Network Interface in an iteration loop (without using arrays):

"privateIPAddress": "[concat(split(parameters('networkInterfacePrivateIPAddressStart'), '.')[0], '.', split(parameters('networkInterfacePrivateIPAddressStart'), '.')[1], '.', split(parameters('networkInterfacePrivateIPAddressStart'), '.')[2], '.', add(cast(split(parameters('networkInterfacePrivateIPAddressStart'), '.')[3], int), copyIndex()))]"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. I would like to request the addition of include support in ARM templates.

I would like to have support for includes in ARM templates. At present nested templates are good but don't provide enough flexibility and the results are lots of duplicate code is required.

An example of which is I often use shared variables / parameters in multiple templates. The duplicate of this content makes maintenance difficult.

The ability to include sections like this would be good.

$include{

"domainData": {

"domainOu": "test",
    "domainUser": "test",
    "domainPass": "Password99",
    "domainOption": "options",
    "domainToJoin": "example.io",
    "domainDnsSuffix": "example.io"
    },

}

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. BUG: Visual Studio removes single quotes, if they are at the end or start of a double quoted string

If you paste something into an ARM template in Visual Studio, it checks the whole template and makes wrong corrections.

In the attached image, you can see I use single quotes in prefix and postfix strings, which will be concatinated together with a parameter later. The lower half shows the result after pasting in a line.

If I paste something anywhere into the template, it will go through and remove these single quotes next to double quotes.

It does not remove single quotes that have a space after them, like "select * into output where Something = 'true' ", but…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Enhance a few of the existing set of ARM APIs

We are using ARM REST APIs to fetch details of all Azure VM instances and their related components like virtual networks, subnets etc for a given Azure account.
    We find some of the existing set of ARM APIs to be a bit limited in their functionality and richness and would like to propose a few enhancements in this area.
    In a nutshell, we are looking for two main areas of enhancements
    1. support to fetch data in bulk
    2. support to fetch data in batches.

We believe that these new APIs would also help other customers with similar business cases.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. file share

File Shares in RM blob storage

You can create file shares from storage in Classic, but not RM Blob cold storage. I would like to use a file share for archiving data in a cold RM Blob storage account.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Standardize New and Existing VM schema

Standardize the virtual machine ARM schema so that we only have to write one template for either new or existing VMs. The current method makes CICD not feasible and confusing for customers.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support loops within a resource definition

We can currently define a loop to spin up multiple copies of a resource. However, we need to have the ability to define loops within the resource definition itself. This is useful for defining multiple data drives and attaching multiple NICs.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. There should be an option to inactivate all Azure portal services in a development environment / subscription.

There should be an option to inactivate all Azure portal services in a development environment / subscription so that no or minimal billing is occurring while the development environment is not in use. Making the costs visible and easy to group and turn on / off is a critical step to enabling sustainable usage. Also, there needs to be a way to easily see which services are currently generating charges and which are inactive.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Download deployment template and parameter script per VM

Allow user to create a per VM script so that we can use this to scale by number of VMs we need, thats a very common use case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Azure ARM Resource Movement

Include a feature to move a Resource to different Subnet. I suppose currently it is limited to move accross Subscriptions / Virtual Networks only.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. idle session timeout at subscription account level

It would be great if we can get facility to setup idle session timeout at subscription level such that same setting will be applicable to all VM instance.
    Currently default timeout setting is 4 mins and need to setup this timeout for every new instance which we bring up in ARM.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Fix resource group tags to be proper hashtables

When trying to report on or otherwise interact with tags in Azure PowerShell, tags are supposedly in a Hashtable on each resource but when you view the tags, the Names property is "Name" and "Value" while all of the tags are lumped into the Values property on the Hashtable. If this is by design then maybe I'm missing something, but it seems like the objects aren't coming through properly...

For Example:

PS C:\PowerShell> $RG.Tags

Name Value

Value 99999

Name BU Number

Value Eric Gropp

Name Owner

I would expect the output to be:

PS C:\PowerShell> $RG.Tags

Name Value

BU Number…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Create better documentation, perhaps using Stack Overflow Documentation or the like

It would be great to have a non-linear reference for those of us that learn by doing (sometimes in public). Some high level goals would be to make it obvious which schema would need to be used and to remove outdated entries. Explain the quick start templates so that they are a better learning tool.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. From Portal or CMD Line, the ability to Freeze (hydrate/dehydrate) all consumption scoped to (a) subscription or (b) a Resource Group

I would like to use a subscription for a certain period of time and then freeze it. For example I am using an E2E IOT scenario which involves a lot of components in Azure - Event Hubs, ASE, Bid Data, CAQS, VMs, VNETS as part of the solution. I want to work/build a solution and then dehydrate it, and hydrate it on demand. I do not want to be in the business of firing the ARM template again. Give me a single click hydrate/dehydrate of my entire E2E solution stack in Azure.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. resources manager

Hi, the idea is create Resources manager inside other resources manager to organice all the resources in cascade. practice to get bet order

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Speed up group deployments via Azure Resource Manager templates

Find some way to speed up group deployments using Azure Resource Manager templates. As of now, a group consisting of a VM instance, a NIC, and another disk take more than 30 minutes, which is much, much longer than with other cloud platforms. It's also longer than if I went into the Azure portal to create each component in the group on its own, using the GUI. There are no times savings using the command line here if that's the case.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Fix the new Azure RM so that resources can be moved from pay-as-you-go to a prepaid subscription

Apparently the server and resources that I've setup are in a pay as you go subscription and can't be moved to the 12 month prepaid subscription that my company purchased. That seems ridiculous to me!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Allow ARM Load balancer rules to target specific interfaces not just VMs

The current ARM load-balancer functionality only allows back-end pools to include VMs.
    If the machine has multiple interfaces (particularly those on different subnets) this is not helpful.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base