Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Allow reference and list operations in inline objects as parameters for linked templates

Parameters for linked templates currently allow reference and inline objects as values, but does not allow reference, or implied references like list operations, inside inline objects.

See:
    https://stackoverflow.com/questions/52726181/inline-object-as-a-parameter-value-to-a-linked-template-deployment

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Make the "Automation script" menu item generate a valid script

Make the "Automation script" menu item generate a valid script that can be used for re-creation of the resources. It is not true at least for Data factories and for App Insights + Alerts.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. When re-running an ARM template that copies a database, don't fail but skip the db deployment

When I run an ARM template that deploys a database by making a copy of an existing database it works perfectly. When I re-run that same ARM template it will fail the database deployment as the database already exists. I expect that as the database already exists it will leave it and skip this deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. reference cosmosdb from ARM template, similar to keyvault

reference cosmosdb from ARM template, similar to keyvault
    This would be helpful for deploying parameters like IP lists on storage accounts, sql server. If I can reference a json array. current work around is convert to base64 and store in keyvault

"reference": {

"cosmosdb": {

"id": "/subscriptions/<subscription>/resourceGroups/<resourcegroup>/providers/Microsoft.DocumentDB/database"
    },
    "collection": "myjsonobject"
    }

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Allow unlimited Key Vault references in template parameters

Currently Key Vault references is limited to 30. This seems like a very arbitrary limit. We currently have deployments that require more than that amount.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Deployment Times Not shown correctly in deployment overview

It looks like under "Deployment Details" the start time and duration reset every time a new resource is created in the ARM template. So either the heading is a misnomer, or there is a bug with start time. In my understanding, it should be the time the deployment was started and should not change.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Introducing Azure Deployment Manager

Check out session BRK3390 at Ignite 2018 for more info!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. FREE TRIAL CANCELLATION????

WHY DO YOUR SERVERS ALL GET DISABLED AFTER THE FREE TRIAL????? I HAVE BEEN DOING WORK ON THOSE FOR WEEKS!!!!!! I HAVE NO PROBLEM PAYING BUT I THOUGHT IT WOULD BE SEAMLESS!!!!!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Add 'Select All' ability under Activity Log -> Operation

If I just wanted to search for Activity Log actions relating to 'Peer' I have to then hand select all '36' individual operations since there isn't a Select All feature. See screenshot

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. use local variables within property copy loop

Using property copy in resources or variables can become complicated as the only value that can really change in each iteration is copyIndex().

It would be great if local variables could be used within these sections to simplify and make it more readable.

I have a couple of example files based on multiple webApps deployed into multiple location. The first works in the current schema, the second would be nicer if supported!

It would be great of these locals could also pull in reference(), parameter() and variables().

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. IAM Access Control integration

Since IAM Access Control is available per resources and can be combined with MSI now, it would be great to make use of these features inside ARM template.

Take this use-case: I create a new VM and someResource. The VM runs a daemon, which is supposed to modify someResource whenever needed. It's easy to click this setup in the portal and make VM a Contributor for someResource, but impossible to deploy using arm template. Technically, I'm aware that privileges live elsewhere (in AAD), but from user perspective, intuitively they are an attribute of arm resource.

BTW, this one is linked…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Key Vault in ARM Template

As an solution engineer, i would like to manage and pass security credential through key vault only but what i have noticed in custom arm template deployment, it is not accepting key vault information from parameter.jason file.
    Can this feature enable?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Ad make us mon

Open source software applications, I love money it motivates the other hand. Love free, but earning is so much more.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Call user-defined functions from linked template

It would be great is there was a possibility to call user-defined functions from a linked template.

In this way you don't have to rewrite or copy/paste all the naming functions to the new templates that you are creating.

When thinking of governance this would also be great because you can give users only read permissions to the "functions" templates so they can't change the naming convention for example.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. nesting user-defined functions

Currently I'm using the user-defined functions within my ARM templates which is really great.
    The limitation that I'm hitting is that it is not possible to call another user-defined function from the current.

I have a function (generateVMName) that does some magic concat to create a name for a VM.
    What I would like to achieve is to call the (generateVMName) function from within another function (generateDiskName) so I don't have to redo all the concats again and only add the specific disk naming options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Create or Generate (or Get) Bot Service password

As a developer, I would like to dynamically create Bot Framework bots in Azure (Bot Channels Registration resources), and use them from NodeJS backend. The creation goes well with azure-cli (with botservice extension), but azure-cli does not allow me to create or generate a password (Microsoft App Password, or App Secret) for the bots. I guess a password is generated upon registration but I am also unable to get that password.

I am creating a "Bot Channels Registration" with the following commands:

$ az bot create --kind registration --location "global" --sku S1 -e <url> --resource-group <group> --name <resource-name> --p "something" …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Adding permission audit for Azure Policy

To effectively govern my Azure environment, I'd like to audit my Azure resources (target to resource provider i.e. Microsoft.Compute) to make sure only allowed groups have access. If a resource provider has unauthorized access, it becomes non-compliant resource then I can have an action to remote that access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. Enable Automation Script to support all resource types

Rightnow Automation script excludes many resource types in a resource group.. it would be better if Microsoft can handle this scenario while development of new types in Azure as part of development life cycle.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Automatically generated template and "circular dependency".

I have created first VM from Azure portal interface and it works good. I tried to deploy second VM using ARM template that is available from first VM. And I can't do it quickly. Primarily, I have to solve task with some dependency loops because I got message 'Circular dependency detected on resource: '/subscriptions/xxxxxxxxx/resourceGroups/MOD03VDSC/providers/Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/autoconfigvm7312'.
    You can't use template soon after creating VM by portal. This template will not work. You will get an error. Firstly you have to analyze this template for circular dependency instead of use it immediately.
    In this template in declaration of network interface there is a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base