Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. use local variables within property copy loop

Using property copy in resources or variables can become complicated as the only value that can really change in each iteration is copyIndex().

It would be great if local variables could be used within these sections to simplify and make it more readable.

I have a couple of example files based on multiple webApps deployed into multiple location. The first works in the current schema, the second would be nicer if supported!

It would be great of these locals could also pull in reference(), parameter() and variables().

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. httpsOnly web app settings deployed using ARM not visible in portal but resource manager shows its set

httpsOnly web app settings deployed using ARM not visible in portal but resource manager shows its set?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. IAM Access Control integration

Since IAM Access Control is available per resources and can be combined with MSI now, it would be great to make use of these features inside ARM template.

Take this use-case: I create a new VM and someResource. The VM runs a daemon, which is supposed to modify someResource whenever needed. It's easy to click this setup in the portal and make VM a Contributor for someResource, but impossible to deploy using arm template. Technically, I'm aware that privileges live elsewhere (in AAD), but from user perspective, intuitively they are an attribute of arm resource.

BTW, this one is linked…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Key Vault in ARM Template

As an solution engineer, i would like to manage and pass security credential through key vault only but what i have noticed in custom arm template deployment, it is not accepting key vault information from parameter.jason file.
    Can this feature enable?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. Ad make us mon

Open source software applications, I love money it motivates the other hand. Love free, but earning is so much more.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Call user-defined functions from linked template

It would be great is there was a possibility to call user-defined functions from a linked template.

In this way you don't have to rewrite or copy/paste all the naming functions to the new templates that you are creating.

When thinking of governance this would also be great because you can give users only read permissions to the "functions" templates so they can't change the naming convention for example.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. nesting user-defined functions

Currently I'm using the user-defined functions within my ARM templates which is really great.
    The limitation that I'm hitting is that it is not possible to call another user-defined function from the current.

I have a function (generateVMName) that does some magic concat to create a name for a VM.
    What I would like to achieve is to call the (generateVMName) function from within another function (generateDiskName) so I don't have to redo all the concats again and only add the specific disk naming options.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Release the word LOGIN for customers to use.

From the docs: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-manager-reserved-resource-name
    "
    The following words cannot be used as either a whole word or a substring in the name:

LOGIN
    MICROSOFT
    WINDOWS
    XBOX
    "

I understand trademars, but login?

I named my project contained the word Login in VSTS, subdomain, even an app service website.

Do I have to rename it just to keep it consistent?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Create or Generate (or Get) Bot Service password

As a developer, I would like to dynamically create Bot Framework bots in Azure (Bot Channels Registration resources), and use them from NodeJS backend. The creation goes well with azure-cli (with botservice extension), but azure-cli does not allow me to create or generate a password (Microsoft App Password, or App Secret) for the bots. I guess a password is generated upon registration but I am also unable to get that password.

I am creating a "Bot Channels Registration" with the following commands:

$ az bot create --kind registration --location "global" --sku S1 -e <url> --resource-group <group> --name <resource-name> --p "something" …

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Adding permission audit for Azure Policy

To effectively govern my Azure environment, I'd like to audit my Azure resources (target to resource provider i.e. Microsoft.Compute) to make sure only allowed groups have access. If a resource provider has unauthorized access, it becomes non-compliant resource then I can have an action to remote that access.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Enable Automation Script to support all resource types

Rightnow Automation script excludes many resource types in a resource group.. it would be better if Microsoft can handle this scenario while development of new types in Azure as part of development life cycle.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Automatically generated template and "circular dependency".

I have created first VM from Azure portal interface and it works good. I tried to deploy second VM using ARM template that is available from first VM. And I can't do it quickly. Primarily, I have to solve task with some dependency loops because I got message 'Circular dependency detected on resource: '/subscriptions/xxxxxxxxx/resourceGroups/MOD03VDSC/providers/Microsoft.Network/networkInterfaces/autoconfigvm7312'.
    You can't use template soon after creating VM by portal. This template will not work. You will get an error. Firstly you have to analyze this template for circular dependency instead of use it immediately.
    In this template in declaration of network interface there is a…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. KISS

I just want to have a script connect to a service, do something and disconnect. How can this be so utterly, mind bogglingly complex?! Which utter sadist designed this and please can I keep hitting him or her with a baseball bat until they just STOP!

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Is there any other way to edit ARM template other than using visual Studio?

Alternatives to edit ARM template other than visual studio

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Generate an automation script of an entire subscription from the portal

Provive the ability to use the "Automation Script" feature on a subscription level instead of going into all resource groups and generating "Automation Script" one by one from the portal. This would help to export all resource groups configuration with a one-click solution.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Fix deploy.azure.com so that it works for users who only have resource group-level access

The deploy.azure.com site is very useful; however, the way the backend functionality behind deploy.azure.com is written, it unnecessarily requires subscription-level access. We have users who only have resource group-level access and we would like to be able to use deploy.azure.com with those users. Please fix the backend logic so that this solution works with minimum privilege (contributor access to a resource group, with no subscription-level permissions).

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Programmetic access to public Azure Datacenter IP Ranges

Make the Microsoft Azure Datacenter IP Ranges programmatically retrievable from the Azure CLI.

Either by adding a property in the result of the AZ ACCOUNT LIST-LOCATIONS command or somewhere else in the networking commands.

This is a much more elegant solution than the webpage on https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=41653 that hides the direct link to https://download.microsoft.com/download/0/1/8/018E208D-54F8-44CD-AA26-CD7BC9524A8C/PublicIPs_20180402.xml

The name to this file implies it can change when updates are made to Azure. Integrating it in the CLI makes it consistently accessible and documented.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Fix Deployment.targets when including linked project items

At present linked project items cause build and deployment errors

, e.g.

&lt;None Include=&quot;..\DeployApiApplications\nestedtemplates\apiSite.json&quot;&gt;

&lt;Link&gt;nestedtemplates\apiSite.json&lt;/Link&gt;
    &lt;CopyToOutputDirectory&gt;Always&lt;/CopyToOutputDirectory&gt;
    &lt;/None&gt;

If the linked item is included as content, it fails to build as the path being used in the deployment.targets copy step comes through as an absolute location, rather than a relative one.

If the linked item is not content, but set to "Copy Always", the file is copied into the bin/BuildConfig folder, not bin/BuildConfig/staging/ProjectName, which causes the deployment to fail.

I think the fix required is in Deployment.Targets, but I don't understand the format well myself...

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. How to create New Azure Active Directory in ARM

In ASM it was possible to create Azure Active Directory, the functionality is no longer available in ARM? or am I just missing something?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)