Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. How to create New Azure Active Directory in ARM

In ASM it was possible to create Azure Active Directory, the functionality is no longer available in ARM? or am I just missing something?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. 1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3. A tool provided by Microsoft Which Will Tell us what can be migrated to CSP and what cannot!

A tool is required that will enable us in moving the resources from Multiple Subscriptions to CSP Subscriptions, Or the tool should tell us what can we move and what we cannot.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4. Moving ideas / suggestions

Whomever is moving our ideas, perhaps it would be an idea to include where you're moving them to.

Thanks

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5. currently the Role Assignments - List API does not return the roleDefinitionName and it will be helpful if it returns so

currently the Role Assignments - List API does not return the roleDefinitionName and it will be helpful if it returns so as it is very crucial for testing and validating roles assigned using the API.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6. Conditionally deploy storage account based on its existence

Can we have a new feature in ARM Template?
    - We define the property of storage account in ARM template
    - If the account name already exists, skip the storage account deployment instead of failing the deployment. If the account name does not exist, deploy the new storage account.

We understand that there is other workaround like using Powershell. But can we have such functionality inherently in ARM template?

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7. Allow filter on tags in resource group

When in the portal viewing the list of resources in a usage group, you can use a filter and grouping. One obvious filter setting missing is tags. I would like to select one or more tags, and then get a list of resources that have those tags.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8. Support SqlServerActiveDirectoryAdministrator in Microsoft.Sql/servers template

Setting an ActiveDirectoryAdministrator (Set-AzureRmSqlServerActiveDirectoryAdministrator) in an ARM Template is not possible yet and requires addional powershell scripting.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9. Provide policies against ARM templates

It would be nice if I could apply a subscription or resource group wide policy to require that certain arbitrary ARM settings be enabled or configured a certain way.

One thing that comes to mind is to require the SQL Server AD Admin account be consistently set on all Azure SQL databases across the subscription.

This policy would sort of overlay on top of any resources you published or created, override values, or otherwise restrict what you could do.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Allow the value of 'Latest' when deploying VM Extensions

At the moment when deploying extensions such as the DSC or custom scripting extension through PowerShell or ARM templates a version value is required to be hard-coded, this has the effect of being very out of date in all official online documentation, and generally means that people will be missing out on the latest improvements in the extensions.

Providing an easy way of getting the latest version such as the method used when selecting operating system images (version = latest) would simplify scripting while also maintaining flexibility and improving take-up of the latest features / bugfixes.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11. Add parameter -STATUS for "AddAzureRMMetricAlertRule" commandlet in order to allow administrators to DISABLE/ENABLE alert rules azure via PS

I am looking for a way to script the alert rule management in azure but cannot find a way to disable all alert rules for a specific resource group via powershell.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Support cross product as a function in the ARM language

cross(arg1, arg2) where arg1 and arg2 are strings or arrays-of-strings would produce the concatenation of all items in arg1 with all items in arg2. For example. In a load balancer template, I might want to deploy a number of NAT rules, which I might need to return a list of IDs for so they could be used by NIC resources.

"variables": {
    "NAT-RulePrefix": "SSH",
    "NAT-FrontendPorts": "[range(50000,50002)]",
    "NAT-RuleNames": "[cross(variables('NAT-RulePrefix'), variables('NAT-FrontendPorts')]"
    }

After evaluation, NAT-RuleNames would be "SSH50000", "SSH50001", "SSH50002"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Regarding Azure Managed Applications...

I’ve been reading the info about Azure Managed Applications.

As a long time ISV partner, I find the offering interesting as this is something we have been proposing to our prospects and clients for the past few years. The difference being, we have suggested our clients receive invoicing for infrastructure servicing and application licensing directly through us as this Managed Applications model did not exist at the time. Of course, we also offer the suggestion (if the prospect/client has the capability) for them to own the infrastructure and let us simply manage the application within it.

For over 30 years…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Create a way for EventGrid to utilize ARM template for Subscription Level Event Supscription

Currently ARM template's are able to be made for Event Grid which works for deployment from automation tools (i.e. VSTS release).

It would be of benefit if we can make a deployment ARM template that would allow for EventGrid subscription level subscriptions.

This would allow for consistent release process as other Azure Resource Deployment.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  15. Sign instance metadata services

Current instance metadata services respond to an unauthenticated API call with an unsigned JSON reply.
    As an ISV I need to be sure that my software is running againsta known customer - and I can correlate their subscription ID available from instance metadata against our customer list.

Currently it is possible to spoof the JSON response to an instance metadata query quite easily, and there is no way I can ensure that the response is genuine.

AWS provides a signed metadat document which contains the full metadata for the instance in a signed JSON document - this can be checked…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  16. In the Custom Script Extension for Windows, provide an option to supress the auto-escaping of double quotes in the command line

I'm trying to pass a command line where one of the parameters may contain quotes or spaces. The extension automatically replaces all double quote characters with backslash-double quote. However (a) that prevents me from ever wrapping the entire parameter in double quotes (so I can't pass params that contain spaces) and (b) its arguably broken anyway (since it should replace it with \^" rather than just \". (For rationale, see https://stackoverflow.com/a/31413730 )

So, could you add an optional parameter to the extension, that allows us to turn the current quote replacement behavior on and off? Turning it off would allow…

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Ability to deploy resources in more than one subscription at a time

Currently it's possible to deploy resources in more than one resource group, https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-manager-cross-resource-group-deployment. But in my experience, in enterprise customers, it would be useful to have the ability to deploy resources in more than one subscription at a time through a single command. Examples: deploy vnets to different subscriptions, plus their vnet peerings, deploy same app topology for its different environments to respective dev, test and prod subscriptions, etc.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Add hash table parameter support for all AzureRM PowerShell commands

Using a hash table looks much cleaner and can be easier to read than using long single line commands or use the back tick to wrap them. It seems sporadically supported but it seems you can never tell which command until you run it.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. I want to watch the driver letter for each disks(OS/Data) in Azure Portal.

I want to watch the driver letter for each disks(OS/Data) in Azure Portal.
    Now we can find the disk name or disk vhd file name. I want to manage the drive letters.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

20. Disallow invalid address prefixes in NSG rules in ARM portal

The ARM portal curently allows invalid address prefixes (e.g., 10.92.0.14/3) in NSG rules. The powershell cmdlet Set-AzureRmNetworkSecurityGroup does not. This is problematic for scripts which read in existing NSG rules, make a single valid modification, and then attempt to write the rules back out. It fails because the ARM portal allowed a bad entry.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?

Feedback and Knowledge Base