How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

move resource from classic mode

I have several services (storage, cloud services, VMs) that were all created using the same Affinity Group, and are all bound to the same Virtual Network.

As you switched from AGs to Resource Groups, the AG seems to have been mostly reasonably mapped... as such, the storage, VMs, etc are all bound to the same RG... yay for good migration.

But my Virtual Network isn't... and I seem to be unable to move it into the RG... error is "Resource move is not supported for 'Microsoft.ClassicNetwork'."

Let me be completely clear here... I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO intention of RECREATING all of the VMs, just to accommodate a change that should've been automatic the entire time. Equally, I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO intention of creating a VPN between the "ClassicNetwork" and an ARM/RG network. (while fine in concept, requiring additional services to accomplish something that shouldn't have needed to happen in the first place is absolute rubbish).

So... to make migrations much easier all around, please allow us to move resources from classic mode to ARM/RG mode... while I'm sure there are differences, it's your job to "figure it out" and "git er dun"... otherwise you create leaky abstractions that are annoying (time consuming, etc) for us.

349 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Scott Brickey shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

8 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How do we migrate individual VMs from ASM/classic to ARM and retain the Private IP address? We have cranky developers and system owners that are protesting the migration AND having to hunt down IP dependencies. I can deal with multitudes of VNETS and RGs, but also cannot migrate an entire classic VNET or Cloud Service.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

How this is not supported to begin with, is beyond me. This is extremely important and must be done asap!

• Erik commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm running into this frustrating experience as well. I have a new cloud service, active directory and about 10 VMs setup on a virtual network with a VPN connection to the physical site. I wanted to add premium storage to my RDS server for faster application performance and cannot. This requires the new portal which of course does not have any of my resources under it. I would basically need to capture all the VMs, dismantle the network, create it again in the new portal and then create new VMs using the images. Really?

• Morten commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would try to maybe leverage Tags, i.e add Tags to classic mode. And use that as a method of migration help.

Maybe add support for migration to ARM based on tags, so all resources with the same tag would be added to the same ARM group. This is especially helpful for organisations that have whole services running in classic.

All the organizations that was early adapters of Azure should be awarded, and helped transitioning into a more structured Azure.

• Glenn commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I agree. This is frustrating as I only set up my Azure infrastructure a few months ago and now everything I've done is marked as "classic". Even more frustrating (or confusing?) is that I used the new beta portal (portal.azure.com) for almost all of the setup, only falling back to the old management portal (manage.windowsazure.com) for things that could not be done in the new interface. And on top of this, I have used resource groups for everything, and don't have any resources in affinity groups. But even so my virtual networks, virtual machines, storage accounts, OS disks and reserved IP addresses are still marked as "classic".

There doesn't seem to be any way for Microsoft to upgrade the accounts just yet. Having to recreate everything again is unacceptable, and involves a lot of risk and downtime. It's just not possible to do.

I hope Microsoft can upgrade these resources at some point, as I don't want to be stuck in "classic" mode forever.

Feedback and Knowledge Base