How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Let me define preconfigured Blob Containers, Tables, Queue in ARM template

Right now we can define storage account, account location, name, type of redundancy and some other minor parameters - and it's cool!
But story is not complete without blob containers, tables and queues.

For my app for normal work inside storage account I need containers and tables. But I can't include them inside ARM template right now and it's not cool.

Please, add to a storage template this feature and as a result DevOps story using ARM will be much better.

1,260 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Sychev Igor shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

24 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Fraser Killip commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This has been around for 2 years and there is no response?

It's a pretty important feature to have considering there is no way to pre-configure containers during a deployment.

• ggirard commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This seems to be possible for Queues on Service Bus, but not on an Storage Account...

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 on this. ARM Templates have great potential for the CI/CD story in Azure, but are already causing us a lot of pain due to no integration of AAD security in the templates. Now I find that Table storage and Blob storage are not available in templates; this is starting to look very limited compared to AWS Cloudformation templates.

+1 for being able to create storage queues in an ARM template. Was able to include in the template everything for a multiple region active active scenario but this.

• Kent Kingery commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for being able to create storage containers in ARM templates. This is a major gap in having a single template to deploy a full application workload stack.

• Sean Davis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Bump, this would be huge, several enterprise customers I have consulted for have this pain point with entire ARM templates being done except for creating the blob storage via ARM. It has made getting developers to adopt ARM difficult because ARM templates don't have parity with Azure services. This one is pretty common.

• Sławek commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It's also required for Azure Container Instances. In order to mount volumes I have to provide File Share name, but I cannot create file share from ARM template.

• Jan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would be nice to be able to create blob containers as part of an ARM template.
        For example Event Hubs Archiving can be enabled in a template, but requires a pre-existing blob container....

• Anon commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. This is another one of the little things that should have been included with the original template code.

• John Kirkham commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We absolutely need this, plus the ability to set stored access policies on these storage entities and then reference SAS tokens based on the policies from within the ARM template.
        This is critical when working with scheduled jobs that perform actions on the Queues. As is, you can create the storage account, but then have to create the queue, policy and SAS token outside of the ARM provisioning, but the scheduled job action in the ARM template requires the SAS token.
        It forces you to break the ARM deployment in a messy, multi-part process.

@Paul you can already do keyvault and secrets using arm. As for the blobs, queues, tables absolutely needed. I have a horrible Powershell hack to do all of this. How many people create a storage account with no other content? Not many ..

I second the azure storage tables, because they are a dependency for streaming analytics outputs if your trying to target a storage table you cannot create the streaming analytics job output unless the table is present. that means you need to run a pre-requisite template, update the deployed content with powershell. Then run a secondary template with the finishing content connected to the items in the PS scripts. its a bit fail.

• Bharath Kumar Mannem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Waiting for this, we can do it through PowerShell but if this can be done through ARM templates, it would be meaningful to devops.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base