How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Add ability to rename services

It would be useful to be able to rename services on occasion. If these are tied to other services or components (eg., DNS entry), then perhaps the ability to migrate could be added. I know there's another vote to rename resource groups, however I'd like to see this possible for anything.

152 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Istvan Cebrian commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I would assume that resource are created with specific and unique ID's. If so I think it would be very interesting if we had the ability to rename resrouces such as VM's, resrouce groups, etc..

• Tom van Oost commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to rename resource groups and resources.
    Many times resources and resource groups are automatically created without meaningful names.

• Alex commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

PLease let us Rename Ressources. At this time, i must delete them and create new.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. Having to remove and re-add resources is not practical when all you want to do change a name to better organize your resources!

• Luke commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One shouldn't be able to rename the GUID of a resource or resource group, but one should be able to easily rename the text for the name. The currently suggestion to create a new Resource Group with the desired name and manually move resources from an existing resource group to it is ridiculous. It also doesn't work since some resources can't be moved.

• eric commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Add the ability to rename resources and resource groups. Have azure use internal Ids to handle mapping of the resources and leave the name for display + search purposes so it can be changed without affecting whatever might be using the resource.

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It would be very helpful to be able to rename an App Service Plan after it is created. I can not find away to do this within the new portal.

• Salem Korayem commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+3 for renaming

My Azure subscription is filled with stupid names that were created before we established proper naming rules and I can't do nothing about it!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

anything should be able to be renamed. Names are for humans to read and should Always be considers "display only". never link stuff by nane!!

Feedback and Knowledge Base