How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Rename Resource Groups

Need the ability to rename resource groups either via PowerShell or the new portal.

2,911 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Freeland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

111 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Quintin Rudman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?, I'm sure it can be automated and validated with enough checks to limit replication failure by implementing an expected time to live for the requested change, moving resources between Resource Groups becomes very complicated as your environment grows, and although I script all my work, some resources wont move due to regional restrictions,I work across EU, AUS, US, it would make my ability to keep my environment neat and tidy so much easier.

• Ron Sonntag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is the NAME column that looks like a GUID, and then there is the RESOURCE GROUP column that looks more like a display name. I see no reason why a display name should not be changed. When are you going to address this? There are thousands of people asking for it.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we able to rename Resource Groups Yet? I have a situation where i started out with a resource group name that had the word "migration" in the name, but now realized it makes more sense to remove it. This was for a major project for moving an entire on-premises infrastructure over to the azure cloud.

So...can we rename resource groups or not?

• Greg commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is this coming or what? The move function is useless as commented below it can't take half the items with it... ExpressRoute for example.

• Craig commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There has to be a simple solution to this rename issue. How about just add a new field to the schema called display name and allow that to be renamed, while keeping the original name hidden and unchangeable, and force display names to be unique per subscription so I can't remame a displayname to an existing one. Another great question is why was the current solution enginered as such, it's like saying once I create a folder name I can't every change that name and oh by the way, some of the files in that folder cannot be moved to other folders. Really I don't care what it looks like behind the scene's, I just want a user interface that is user friendly.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The proposed solution is going nowhere ... new types of resources can not be moved ... like managed disks, vm's using managed disks neither ... The solution should be based on GUID's and display names. If this is not a simple task, then at least it should be the strategy so that every service of Azure can implement that.

Going through the painful exercise of tidying up over 150 resource groups for two of our subscriptions, had to follow the incredibly slow process of moving 200 traffic manager profiles from one resource group only to find it failed for two profiles which resulted in them getting deleted by the failed request which resulted in a ticket to Microsoft to recover the two profiles which in turn caused two clients sites to go down as the DNS could not be routed correctly. Luckily this was all in our pre production environment and Microsoft fixed the move process so it did not delete objects if the move was unsuccessful!

Seriously, had all this pain because we wanted to rename a "descriptive bit of text".

+1

I think it has been firmly established that this is a big deal to your customers.

MS, you might want to put some effort into isolating the display names from functionality so we can use them as we see fit.

• Eric McStravick commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only been requested for 3+ years. This seems like a giant oversight to base ANYTHING on an objects name. If it's so hard, just hide the "NAME" field from the interface and give us a description field that is a copy of name...

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6

Feedback and Knowledge Base