How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Rename Resource Groups

Need the ability to rename resource groups either via PowerShell or the new portal.

2,183 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan FreelandJonathan Freeland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

79 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Almiro AlvesAlmiro Alves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss that a lot. I think this is the basics and should have Azure for all services. It is not possible for Azure to use the services name as a key not to allow its change. Something terrible to believe!

• Thomas SchmidtThomas Schmidt commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Absolutely agree with the comments below, the name is a human readable descriptive reference and needs to be editable, the GUID should be the unique resource thread!

• TimTim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any Updates on when this will be available, its been a year

• Mike MalterMike Malter commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes please. Resource groups have been implemented and now we have a list of resource groups with the the tag CloudServices imbedded in the name. Yesterday I opened a case because I could not understand why all of our Cloud Services were appearing in the Resource Group display on the portal. Seems that when Resource Groups were implemented, the exact name used for Cloud Services was used for Resource Groups. Only thing is that our naming convention requires the type of resource to be the suffix of the name - so it looked like the portal was broken and it confused everyone including the Microsoft tech. We got it worked out, but we really need a rename function so we can get the embedded Cloud Service suffix replaced. At this point you guys should really know better and always give the ability to rename something. Thank you.

• PRISMA Computer GmbHPRISMA Computer GmbH commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'm completely shocked to hear that resources are really identified and related by their names and not by their GUID or whatever other kind of resource ID!!! Otherwise it's not explainable why a simple rename of a resource means moving the resource instead of just giving an unique identifier another human readable name... ridiculous!!

• Paul MartinPaul Martin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yes- we need this too! I agree that it is ridiculous that we can't change a the display name.
        I only wish that I could move all resources to a new group, but with app services, and SendGrid, moving ain't so simple!

I understand that the API paths are built on resource group names, so they are imbedded in the infrastructure more deeply than just a visual display, but if we could provide a friendly display name for each resource, it would certainly make my life much easier!

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I'd like to see this apply to ALL resource names, not just resource group names.

• RolandRoland commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yeah terrible design decisions that this is apparently so hard that it takes more than 3 years to implement...

• RajeshRajesh commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

@deep: I agree: In the data structure add another field 'Display Name'

• deepdeep commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

insane reply by azure team , rename is not moving from one resource group to another it's just changing the display name for user convenience

Just create a new resource group with a correct name and move your ressources there. This was the feedback from MS. Simple.

@Anonymous - it's not "genuinely" ridiculous otherwise they would have done it, wouldn't they!

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base