How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Rename Resource Groups

Need the ability to rename resource groups either via PowerShell or the new portal.

3,138 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Jonathan Freeland shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

121 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I understand that this is complex but why can a new attribute not be added to the Resource Group entity called Alias. Copy all the existing names to the Alias and point all Portal name UI bindings to the Alias. Again, I know I'm an outsider but is moving absolutely necessary? If so, the original design was a colossal blunder.

I just ran into this today, and this was first posted over 4 years ago! Add the ability to rename Resource Groups already!

Wow, every time i want something to do which i dont find, i find there is already a suggestions that is still not implemented. What the **** MS? All needed and crucial suggestions are dead here without any update and sits there over many years....Coming from AWS world, this makes me very angry...

• Jessica commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a rename is not possible due to limitations, maybe a copy / clone all to NEW resource group could be a solution? We could then delete the old resource group after test /verify the copy process was a success. Anything is better than having to manually recreate the resources in the new group for better organization.

• Majeti commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I think the PM of Microsoft is saying that with their current logic if they want to apply a simple fix.. it would be to leverage the existing functionality of move

• Benjamin Mitchell commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We don't want to "Move" resources into a new resource group.. We want to treat the Resource Group name as a label/tag that can be easily changed..

• Quintin Rudman commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Any update on this?, I'm sure it can be automated and validated with enough checks to limit replication failure by implementing an expected time to live for the requested change, moving resources between Resource Groups becomes very complicated as your environment grows, and although I script all my work, some resources wont move due to regional restrictions,I work across EU, AUS, US, it would make my ability to keep my environment neat and tidy so much easier.

• Ron Sonntag commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

There is the NAME column that looks like a GUID, and then there is the RESOURCE GROUP column that looks more like a display name. I see no reason why a display name should not be changed. When are you going to address this? There are thousands of people asking for it.

• Mark commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Are we able to rename Resource Groups Yet? I have a situation where i started out with a resource group name that had the word "migration" in the name, but now realized it makes more sense to remove it. This was for a major project for moving an entire on-premises infrastructure over to the azure cloud.

So...can we rename resource groups or not?

← Previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

Feedback and Knowledge Base