How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Add parameter to allow "temporary storage" drive letter to be specified at deploy-time

Provide option in ARM template to specify the driver letter assigned to "Temporary Storage". Currently defaulted to D:.

There was a similar, declined, suggestion from over 3 years ago: where MS suggested they were looking at improvements. @Corey Sanders goes on to say it would require another reboot, well, I currently use DSC to move it, and that requires another reboot, so it's neither here nor there, whether the additional reboot is fired by ""Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/" or "Microsoft.Compute/virtualMachines/extensions":
https://feedback.azure.com/forums/216843-virtual-machines/suggestions/5558184-please-move-temporary-drive-to-t-drive-instead-of

9 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adrian Walker shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

1 comment

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Russell Croft commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

The argument from 2014 is pretty weak. So what if it takes another reboot during deployment?
    Better that than a BS manual process every time.
    Also, systems migrated from my vmware envronment (via ASR) suffer from the temp drive forcibly taking "D" and re-lettering my migrated disks, which breaks pretty much everything when systems come up.
    I've had to enforce the temp drive via DSC to ensure it doesn't reset itself at random after a reboot or some Azure LRS activity.
    The ability to set the temp drive letter pre-deployment/migration would be a immense use to me and my team.

Feedback and Knowledge Base