How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Provide option to execute ARM template in preview mode ("This is what I plan to do")

I would love to be able to run an ARM template with an optional PowerShell parameter that tells the deployment not to make any changes, but instead to report back with the changes it intends to make.

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Vince shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • James Sampson commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Definitely would love to see this feature implemented as well. Given the complexity of larger deployments and in-place upgrades, it'd be great to be able to have an audit step in a release pipeline in DevOps to Approve/Reject the infrastructure changes from a change report, and skip the set if no changes are detected. I think this goes to what Sean mentioned by providing both human and machine readable formats.

The response indicates possibility of being included in a preview - where do I need to email/communicate to to ask to be included?

• Sean commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Very excited for this to be implemented. It would be very useful if this preview mode had options for human readable and machine readable (e.g., json) formats for integration into a deployment pipeline with approvals (for example, requiring manual review if resources are deleted, otherwise deploy automatically)

• Jeff Miles commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be really excellent. Similar to the "plan" command from Terraform, seeing output of what exactly is changing in production compared to the declared configuration would be extremely valuable, especially if the deployment Mode = "Complete".

Feedback and Knowledge Base