How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Application Gateway management operations are agonizingly slow

[Originally posted to Azure Portal forum - however should have been submitted here]

Most creates and updates for application gateway configuration (back-end pools, rules, listeners, certificates, etc.) take 5-10 minutes to apply. This is not a portal issue as it takes just as long via the API / CLI. (This is with even a single instance App Gateway)

Applying these same settings on Windows Server ARR directly takes only a minute or less, so I'm not sure where the performance issue lies, but there is tremendous room for improvement.

As it is currently, it provides waaaay too much time while waiting to consider the porting costs of a migration to the alternate cloud platform.

666 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Kevin Piette shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

66 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Dillian Murphey commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Updates are still unacceptably slow. If you don't get somethign to work and want to debug it by changing things, forget it. Prepare to spend the next 3 days waiting for updates and half the time waiting and then watching it Fail!

• Samir commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still super slow
        Tried updating the http setting of a rule, took 3 minutes and 15 seconds

• Andy N commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I've been working on automating the setup and teardown of application gateways, together with adding 1..n endpoints to them. I really can't believe just how very slow it is working on them. Not only is it slow but, the amount of times I get the "Long running operation timed out" style errors is incredible. How are we supposed to add these to our build pipelines when the admin performance is so very slow.

• Andrei Krasnou commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Yestarday our team started working with this service and I can't belive that creation of simple rules can take up to 30-40 minutes. This ticket was created more than year ago? I heard on the build conference that Azure is top priority and focus now. Really?

• Geek876 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Hi, Has this been resolved ? We experiencing times of upto 20 min at times for any updates to the GW.

• guitarrapc_tech commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It takes15min+ to update listener's ssl certificate.
        The day passed now it's Autumn and will Winter comes?

• Tristan Beasley commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Still really slow in West Europe, taken an hour so far to apply configuration changes to a Virtual Network Gateway, in the meantime it's down and unusable for 50 staff...

• MikeN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

One suggestion I have for people complaining about this issue is if you have many different configuration changes to do, use PowerShell rather than the GUI. It seems that it's the saving of changes that takes a long time. You can make many different configuration changes, you only get the delay when you run set-azurermapplicationgateway to apply the configuration changes.

• Johannes Edstoft Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

For comparison our backend deployment consists of; AppInsights, ADB PostgreSQL, and an AKS cluster (with 5 nodes), which takes about 15 minutes to provision. AKS being the slowest resource to provision as it needs to provision the nodes vnets oms resources etc.

However our frontend deployment consists of just an Application Gateway (Medium, 2 instances, WAF, minimum configuration, ~40 minutes to provision) and an API management (Basic, 1 instance, ~45-55 minutes to provision mostly spent "activating"). I feel both of these resources shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to provision each.

• Johannes Edstoft Hansen commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

THis problem also exists for API Management instances. Painfully slow to provision and change scaling on add SSL to etc. Please fix both of these! Testing ARM templates that contain either an APIM or AG currently takes > 90 minutes just in the provisioning phase (>45 minutes to bring up & >45 minutes to delete resources), this is wasteful and frustrating as what you typically want to test is the integration between resources.

• MikeN commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Is there any update on this? It was working better for a while but now it is back to being ridiculously slow in US East.

← Previous 1 3 4

Feedback and Knowledge Base