How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell

Ability to Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell. Important for adjusting naming conventions after implementation.

203 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    moved  · 

14 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too don't understand the design decision behind using resource names as primary keys. Naming conventions change, even project names change from inception to launch, would be really helpful in allowing users to clean up legacy names rather than being stuck with what someone thought might be a good name for an idea 5 years ago.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very important step forwards in usability of Azure. The current limitation causes many many many hours of frustration and unnecessary devops hours, down times etc.. Resource names should be there for display purposes. Resources should be identified by unique id's (GUID).

• Andrei Hava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to see this added, as often resources get created with a temporary or testing name, later being decided to keep it. It's not feasible to recreate said resources just to change the name.

• Jeremy commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Would love this. In many cases resources get created with fairly dirty names by default such as ip addresses, network security group, disks when you create a VM or even storage accounts when you mount storage in the Cloud Shell for the first time. Would be great to be able to clean this up. Also sometimes resources get re-purposed somewhat and rather than deploy new and migrate it would be much more manageable to be able to rename.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

They should be using the GUID for the primary key so I'm not sure why they don't let us rename it. Seems like the developers didn't follow their own best practices.

• Almiro Alves commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I really miss that a lot. I think this is the basics and should have Azure for all services. It is not possible for Azure to use the services name as a key not to allow its change. Something terrible to believe!

Feedback and Knowledge Base