How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell

Ability to Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell. Important for adjusting naming conventions after implementation.

203 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Anonymous shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
    moved  · 

23 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim Smith commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 At least add a warning in the creation wizard that the name can't be changed - Doesn't fix our problem but it would help other people.
        I've created a tag to give the IP addresses a name in case that helps anyone

• Wes commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I am new to Azure and building out my environment and have come across this issue also. This feature is especially import for new users like myself who are getting familiar with Azure by creating resource and needing the ability to change resource names when changing the device name for a specific function and having the resource name be automatically updated when the O/S name is changed would be valuable feature.

• Ben commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This needs to be implemented. We're thinking about moving away from Azure because of this nonsense.

• Chris commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I too don't understand the design decision behind using resource names as primary keys. Naming conventions change, even project names change from inception to launch, would be really helpful in allowing users to clean up legacy names rather than being stuck with what someone thought might be a good name for an idea 5 years ago.

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This would be a very important step forwards in usability of Azure. The current limitation causes many many many hours of frustration and unnecessary devops hours, down times etc.. Resource names should be there for display purposes. Resources should be identified by unique id's (GUID).

• Andrei Hava commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

We would love to see this added, as often resources get created with a temporary or testing name, later being decided to keep it. It's not feasible to recreate said resources just to change the name.

← Previous 1

Feedback and Knowledge Base