How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Enable using local filesystem for Linked Templates

Allow an ARM template to reference a relative file path on the local file system for accessing Linked Templates. It seems absurd that this isn't already available. We shouldn't be forced to put our templates in a publicly available resource to retrieve them and use them in other templates.

204 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Alex Marshall shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Tim commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Only being able to reference a URL for the templatelink means I have to check in my code (template) changes *before* I can test them, which is untenable.

I'm sure it's difficult to achieve support for local files but it would be a significant improvement.

Thanks

• Jonathan commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Couldn't agree more with this. While it is not specifically accurate that we are forced to put them in a publicly accessible location, the process for making that location private yet accessible (SAS tokens, etc.) is another complicated layer. Generate tokens, etc. where to keep these? can't check them in, so we need code to reference a key vault to get the token to reference the private storage to reach the templates.... yuck. I have to now design/build an entire system just to read the templates.

My templates are checked into source control, and I'm editing them right on my box. Let me run them from there. I can already run a single template from there, so there is no access/other security issue that should be blocking this.

If I want to later go through the effort to move everything to a cloud-based storage location, that should be up to me.

-Thanks

• Qiang Li commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

It will be a great feature if we can also package all required files/resources (e.g. in an archive format) so the template is self-contained.

• Kaa commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Michael, that really isn't referencing a local template from a local template like Alex Marshall is suggesting though.

• Michael commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This already is available. At least, I'm able to reference my linked templates locally. Or, more accurately, I utilize the _artifactslocation variable to utilize a storage acct that only I have access to to host the templates while I deploy.

Feedback and Knowledge Base