How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

Add support for YAML Deployment Templates

Please add support for YAML / jinja2 templates. This will allow full integration with Ansible and many other Automation Providers.

449 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Bryce Walter shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

13 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Kevin commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

+1 for YAML support - Please do add this - I think this is a no brainer, will make a lot of devs happy

• Anonymous commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Agreed. As a workaround today, we do generate them. Actually, we generate most of the templates and often just treat them as build artifacts for infrastructure deployment. This allows us to get around many other limitations in ARM.

Here's a sample I did a long time ago that used yaml and gulp to build
        https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/tree/master/elasticsearch

Have a look inside the tmpl and build directories in this project for the example.

I have since moved to python since it's readily available and the azure cli requires it anyway. If the customer is ok with it, I use a docker image to build (this is how I manage packages instead of virtual environment ). I have since tweaked the format considerably to further condense the templates by removing a lot of redundancy and support other features. I have developed these templates for customers so it's not my decision to share them, but if you like I can add another sample.

• Mike Sigsworth commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

After working with AWS SAM templates in YAML over the last couple of weeks, I dread having to go back to ARM templates in JSON. Please support YAML!

Agreed! YAML is much easier to read and follow. Better documentation for Azure Templates would also be welcomed.

YAML vs JSON is night and day. I would love to start using YAML for my Azure Deployments!

• George commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

Good idea, working with YAML in AWS CloudFormation is a much nicer experience, let's see it happen for Azure!

Feedback and Knowledge Base