How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

In outputs of a template, allow to return the references of the created resources

For exemple : if the template creates multiple resources (for exemple : multiple virtual network card), it could be usefull to retrieve the references of the created resources for using it in parent templates.

Something like this
outputs {
resources : {
type : object,
value : "[this()]
}
}

68 votes
Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Matthieu Klotz shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
started  ·  AdminGovernance Team (Product Owner, Microsoft Azure) responded  · 

We are working on supporting the copy() function in outputs – combined with the reference() function should help with these scenarios. We will email you once it is completed. Feel free to reach out if you have any additional feedback.

5 comments

Sign in
(thinking…)
Sign in with: Microsoft
Signed in as (Sign out)
Submitting...
  • Greg Lloyd commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I asked about this functionality during ignite and they mentioned that they want include this. Brian Moore did mention in his ignite session that you can do a reference() function within ARM can provide a resource. Hopefully this helps you, the link is below.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/resource-group-template-functions-resource#reference

• Vicky Perdana commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

This will be very useful for our project, for example if you create multiple VMs using the copy() method and wanted to return all IP's for every deployment.

• Matthieu Klotz commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

In addition of this functionality, it could be cool to be able to iterate on resources for creating a custom json.
    For exemple, looping on created NICs for creating the networkprofile object required for creating a virtual machine.

• Yoann commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

I’m looking for a way to setup properties of a resource within a loop. By using this I could set the loop creation of the resources in a linked template and retrieve the data I need to set the properties. This will bring a lot of flexibility to the ARM templates.

Feedback and Knowledge Base