Azure Resource Manager

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell

Ability to Rename Resources in Azure Resource Manager or Powershell. Important for adjusting naming conventions after implementation.

117 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

52 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. Application Gateway configuration operations are extremely slow

I know there is already a post on this, but as it has apparently been resolved (it has not) it seems to be being overlooked.

https://feedback.azure.com/forums/281804-azure-resource-manager/suggestions/19119910-application-gateway-management-operations-are-agon

When configuring any resources within the Application Gateway, everything takes such a long time, 5-10+ minutes is not uncommon to add a listener or a rule.

I have also found that you have to wait for the last request to complete before starting to add any other gateway feature as if you do not it is likely to error the original request.

Please can you look into this, as it is unbelievably time consuming.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

11 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

3. Add DateTime calculation Capabilities with utcnow() in ARM Templates

Having the possibility to generate SAS Tokens using listaccountsas() is a great step forward in arm template functions as it enables us to generate tokens to make use of linked templates residing on protected storage. However, we still have to provide a static value for token expiration to make use of that function.
    Being able to use datetime calculation functions together with utcnow() would enable us to close a gap and generate SAS tokens dynamically.

A possible scenario could look like:

addhours(parameters(utcnow(),1))

and provide the result as expiration time inside the listaccountsas() function

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

4. Specify CostCenter when creating Subscription from API

It would be realy helpfull If I could specify the costcenter during the creating of a subscription.

Currently there is no way to do this when creating an subscription
    https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/azure-resource-manager/programmatically-create-subscription?tabs=rest

Without this i have to sign in to the EA Portal and specify the cost center manually

26 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

5. Automatically delete old deployments as DeploymentQuotaExceeded error occurs

We are often hitting the DeploymentQuotaExceeded error, exceeding the quota of 800 deployments. This happens because old deployments are never deleted, no matter how old they are. We would like to request as a feature a rolling behavior where, as the quota is reached, the oldest deployment is automatically deleted.

20 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

6. Increase Keyvault Reference Limit in Parameters from 29 to 60+

As of right now, the communicated limit for keyvault references in a parameters file is "30", but is actually in practice 29 (appears to be a bug?).

This limitation is quite low for mature systems. Take, for example, the following potential data points:

- Multiple SQL ids/passwords, storage account keys, AI instrumentation, Redis cache credentials, etc. for connection strings
    - App to app communication creds/API keys
    - Programmatically created dynamically named/numbered resources
    - References to signing keys for different purposes

Many of the clients I work with are struggling with this issue, which seems easily fixable by increasing the limit…

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog. Since this request came out of an escalation, I’ve engaged the feature owner to take a look and suggest next best step to validate and resolve the reported bug.

7. Support linked ARM templates on private vnets

In short, I'd like to be able to use BLOB storage on private vnets, and allow access to that storage when deploying with ARM templates. It shouldn't be necessary to open the BLOB storage up to public access (even if protected by SAS tokens) just to use the storage account during ARM deployment.

My preferred solution is to either have the ARM deploy servers included in the "trusted Microsoft services" that I've granted access to the storage account; or add another checkbox (similar to keyvault) granting network access to the storage account when accessed during deployment.

For example, I should…

10 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

8. Delete resource with ARM template

With delivery pipeline it is often needed to create and drop resources for the environments.
    Currently resource manager does not support deprovision deployment mode.
    It means that there is no way to delete exact resources which are specified within the template and were deployed during environment creation.
    Unfortunately Delete Resource Group is not an option because often resources are deployed in different resource groups.
    Actually Delete is part of Complete mode deployment, could you please just make it separate.

7 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

9. Creation/updation of Metric alert on Application Insights's Custom metric through ARM should be allowed even if there is no data emitted.

As of today, if there is no data emitted in the past 24 hours for a custom metric at app insights, ARM does not allow to create or update a metric alert and shows "metric name not found" Error.

To create/update an alert we have to wait for the data logging/emitting which does not make sense. It leaves us to perform two ARM deployment while it can be achieved in a single one.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

10. Create a "Tag Administrator" role

As a person responsible for maintaining tags on resources, I need a "Tag Administrator" role which allows me to create, modify, and delete tags WITHOUT allowing me to make other configuration changes to the associated resource.

I had hoped that the "Microsoft.Resources/tags/*" RBAC action would allow the setting of tags on any resource but sadly it does not -- perhaps it could? Otherwise, a ".../tags/write" action will be needed on each resource that supports tags.

In order to edit tags at present, I basically have to be granted "Contributor" access to the resource, which is not ideal and does not…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

11. Introduce function to check whether a resource exists

Currently, the reference() function throws an error at runtime when the resource doesn't exist. I'd like to either have this result a null object instead, or alternatively I'd like a new function such as "exists(resourceName or resourceIdentifier)" returning a boolean. The function should be useable in a "condition" statement.

I'd like to use this function to work around scenarios where some Azure resources are dependent on each other to be deployed.

Example: use an ARM template to create a Front Door with a custom domain and an Azure DNS alias record pointing to the Front Door.

Currently, this is not…

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote & comment on. This allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature backlog and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

12. duplicate resource group button

I think it would be very useful to have a functionality that would allow cloning a resource group, for example a typical button or something like that.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Allow count = 0 for copy in ARM template

Copy command for ARM templates has a paramter called count which determines the number of times it iterates to create the resource. This paramter must take a positive number (not 0). This causes a problem when a template could be reused but the resource that copy applies to is not needed, so the count could be set to 0.

5 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

14. Make it easy to hide/filter events in Activity Log

It would be much easier to find important events if I could hide certain event types not just on severity.

For example 'Microsoft Azure Policy Insights' is spamming resources with warning events every few minutes and the only way to hide is by deselecting "Warning" severity, which potentially hides important information.

If could deselect by operation names, for example "Audit", life would be much better :)

An alternative approach would be to bundle all events of the same type and list as 1 entry that you can expand/collapse.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. More informative error response code for Azure REST API

We are using Azure Resource Manager to automate the creation of Azure Subscription, assign some user after the creation, deploy some resource to the Subscription, etc.

The issue is, sometimes the API response returned is not very informative and often misleading. For example, directly after creating the Subscription using ARM, if we try to assign a user to the Subscription using ARM, sometimes the API would return 403 response. Is it a permission problem with our client? No, after we add some logic to retry the API call whenever the response returned 403, eventually the API would return 200 response.

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Support condition on DataDisk in ARM templates

Add support for the condition element on DataDisks. At the moment I get this error:
    Could not find member 'condition' on object of type 'DataDisk'. Path 'properties.storageProfile.dataDisks[0].condition'

If I try to do this:
    "dataDisks": [
    {
    "condition": "[equals(parameters('CreateDataDisk'), 'Yes')]",
    "name": "[concat(parameters('VMName'),'-E')]",
    "diskSizeGB": "[parameters('DataDisk1Size')]",
    "lun": 0,
    "createOption": "Empty",
    "managedDisk": {
    "storageAccountType": "[parameters('DataDisk1SKU')]"
    }
    }
    ],

4 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

Thanks for the valid suggestion. Your feedback is now open for the user community to upvote which allows us to effectively prioritize your request against our existing feature list and also gives us insight into the potential impact of implementing the suggested feature.

17. Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 relies on outdated AzureRM module instead of new AZ module

Azure Resource Group Visual Studio template generates Deploy-AzureResourceGroup.ps1 that relies on outdated PowerShell module - AzureRM. New module named AZ should be used.
    Also, this script doesn't contain a #Requires -Modules instruction for non default modules, which leads to errors in the middle of script execution for those, who already migrated to AZ module.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/azure/new-azureps-module-az?view=azps-2.4.0#continued-support-for-azurerm
    "The existing AzureRM module will no longer receive new cmdlets or features."

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  PowerShell  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

18. Can we have a disable option at resource group level

Like how we have a delete option at resource group level, can we have a disable option which will disable all the services deployed in the resource group and have a enable option whenever the customer wants to enable the resources rather than deleting the resources and creating again later when needed.

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

19. YAML/YML support for ARM

Can we have YAML support for ARM just like AWS cloudformation

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Azure Deployment Manager  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

20. Adopt the policy to make ARM inclusion prerequisite before declaring new Azure functionality as Generally Available

I have regularly run into the situation where I write an ARM template describing the resources I want to deploy, and then have to create a "fixup" script that runs after deployment to set stuff that wasn't possible with ARM. It's especially frustrating when some fixup options are only available in Azure CLI and not in Az Powershell or vice versa.

Some examples:
    * Enabling the Static Website option of a storage account
    * Enable HTTPS on custom domains with Front Door
    * Enable HTTPS on custom domains with CDN
    ... and there are more

Please, adopt the policy to…

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

← Previous 1 3 4
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Categories

Feedback and Knowledge Base