Azure Resource Manager

How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

1. Application Gateway management operations are agonizingly slow

[Originally posted to Azure Portal forum - however should have been submitted here]

Most creates and updates for application gateway configuration (back-end pools, rules, listeners, certificates, etc.) take 5-10 minutes to apply. This is not a portal issue as it takes just as long via the API / CLI. (This is with even a single instance App Gateway)

Applying these same settings on Windows Server ARR directly takes only a minute or less, so I'm not sure where the performance issue lies, but there is tremendous room for improvement.

As it is currently, it provides waaaay too much time while…

261 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

85 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

Update operations have been enhanced with fast update. The operations which continue to be slow are SSL Policy, SSL certificate, ports and scaling up/down. Most other operations like listener, rules, http settings, backend pool, backend pool members, probes should be of the order of ~1min now.

2. move resource from classic mode

I have several services (storage, cloud services, VMs) that were all created using the same Affinity Group, and are all bound to the same Virtual Network.

As you switched from AGs to Resource Groups, the AG seems to have been mostly reasonably mapped... as such, the storage, VMs, etc are all bound to the same RG... yay for good migration.

But my Virtual Network isn't... and I seem to be unable to move it into the RG... error is "Resource move is not supported for 'Microsoft.ClassicNetwork'."

Let me be completely clear here... I have ABSOLUTELY ZERO intention of RECREATING all…

145 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. Add Date() to Resource Group Template Functions

Extending the RG Template Functions to support date and time would allow names, settings, etc. to dynamically include timestamps.

ex. "name": "web-[date('year')]", could return "web-2016"

Would be helpful for scenarios such as setting up daily builds as part of a dev/test scenario, connection strings that may require date configuration, or other times where you don't want to have to go back to a .ps1 or .sh for grabbing dates. Thanks!

128 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  4. 126 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Provide GUID function in Azure Resource Manager template language

Hi,
    I think there should be function in the ARM template language with which I can generate unique and valid GUID. Services like Automation and Operational insights (OMS) use guids for creating certain resources like jobs and saved searches. This will provide better experience for template deployments with these service. For example if I want to execute runbook with ARM template I will not have the need to generate GUID for the job in advance that will be done by function. This will also make the experience of deploying trough Portal, VS or PowerShell the same.

106 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

23 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Rollback Template Deployment if anything fail - Just like AWS CloudFormation

Everytime that I use Template Deployment, if some resource fails to be create, I have to manually delete all the resources. This is not good.

Allways that any resource fails to be deployed, the entire template need to be rolledback.

71 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

7 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Official migration tool or procedure from VM v1(Classic) to VM v2(ARM).

Do you have any plan to provide official migration tools or procedures from VM v1(Classic) to VM v2(ARM)?

68 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

9 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Add ARM template function to generate Shared Access Signature (SAS) token

There is an ARM template function to get one of the master keys: listkeys()

But there is equivalent function to generate a SAS token.

This is needed because certain things (like the DSC extension) only supports SAS tokens (it does not support using the primary/secondary key)

62 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Add a Service Bus Provider

I would like to be able to create and deploy a Service Bus using Azure Resource Manager, but there does not appear to be a provider.

46 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

10. Resize a virtual machine using powershell

Actually, resizing a virtual machine using powershell (in ARM mode) is not supported (https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/azure/en-US/0c16a10a-c4df-4d34-97c5-f0778cdef182/how-to-change-a-v2-arm-virtual-machine-size-using-powershell?forum=windowsazuremanagement)
    This is really important since we can use it on our scripts

41 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Ability to add Tags to a Resource Group from an ARM template

Currently you cannot add Tags to a Resource Group that is created using an ARM Template, it must be added using the portal or Powershell.

40 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  12. Enforce Resource Naming convention using ARM Policies

Enforce Resource Naming convention using ARM Policies using for example Regular Expressions.
    The challenge we are facing is figure out a way to enforce a naming convention on the azure environment of our customers. We have detected for example that we are not allowed to use two “*” on a “like” condition. We also tried to use regular expressions (REGEX) but apparently doesn’t work also. We would like to know if there is any solution for this or any code/example that you could share with us that could help our customers enforcing a naming convention on their environments, because right…

34 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

13. Create subscription from an API

We need the ability to create and delete subscriptions using an API or similar.
    Idea is to manage subscriptions automatically using Azure Automation.

28 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  14. 27 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. if else conditions in resources

We wanted to have a single template for deployment of our infrastructure in standalone or distributed mode. So we wanted that we must be able to use if else conditions in the template it self. I know that conditions are supported by the means of template link, but we have a complex nested conditions for implementing our business logic and that would mean having multiple templates and reference each in our deployment json. This would make the json complex and even affect the maintainability of the templates. The template links are fine in simple scenarios but the prove ineffective in…

23 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Conditionally drive resource properties in templates

Whilst it is currently possible to point to conditionally/dynamically call different template files (such as https://github.com/rjmax/ArmExamples/blob/master/NewOrExistingTemplate.json) that only works at the resource level. If you want to conditionally/dynamically change individual resource settings, you have to duplicate the entire template, which seems counterintuitive and goes against the grain of nesting templates.

For example, I would like to have a single virtualMachine.json template which is nested in my overall build. For some of my VMs, namely my DCs, I'd like static IP addresses, but for the rest, they can be dynamic. The only thing that changes in this scenario is the…

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  17. Add multle data disks in arm json template using copy syntax

Add to arm template of virtual machine- add multiple data disks using 'copy' syntax like for VMs or other tes of resources. If I would specify software raid from 4-32 disks I will need manyaly copy-paste disks 4-32 times.
    "copy": {
    "name": "loopname",
    "count": "[variables('numberOfDBInstances')]"
    },
    instead of

{
    "name": "datadisk14",
    "diskSizeGB": "[parameters('sizeOfEachDataDiskInGB')]",
    "lun": 13,
    "vhd": {
    "Uri": "[variables('dataDisk14VhdName')]"
    },
    "createOption": "Empty"
    },
    {
    "name": "datadisk15",
    "diskSizeGB": "[parameters('sizeOfEachDataDiskInGB')]",
    "lun": 14,
    "vhd": {
    "Uri": "[variables('dataDisk15VhdName')]"
    },
    "createOption": "Empty"
    },

22 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

18. Ability to deprovision using arm templates

arm templates are great, but we need support for deprovisioning resources as well, in order to scale up AND down. I'd like to see more documentation/support aroud how arm templates can be used to deprovision resources as well. For example, a "strict" flag which ensures that any resource not in the template will be deleted from the RG.

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

6 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  19. Multiple VMExtensions CustomScriptExtension or CommandsToExecute

Instead of trying to put everything into one CommandToExecute it would be nice to be able to have multiple extensions or even ability to have multple commandsToExecute.

"Multiple VMExtensions per handler not supported for OS type 'Windows'. VMExtension 'CustomScriptExtension' with handler 'Microsoft.Compute.CustomScriptExtension' already added or specified in input."

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  20. Allow ARM template OS disk image to be a blob SAS URI

It appears that the only way to create a VM with an OS disk from a disk image is to first copy the blob that is the disk image into a storage account inside the same resource group you want to create the VM in. It would be really nice if it was an option to specify a blob SAS URI so that I don't have to copy VM base images everywhere I use them.

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Password icon
    Signed in as (Sign out)

2 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
← Previous 1
  • Don't see your idea?

Azure Resource Manager

Feedback and Knowledge Base