Azure Resource Manager

How can we improve the Azure Resource Manager?

(thinking…)

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

If a similar idea already exists, you can support and comment on it.

If it doesn't exist, you can post your idea so others can support it.

Enter your idea and we'll search to see if someone has already suggested it.

• Hot ideas
  • Top ideas
  • New ideas
  • My feedback
  1. Enable using local filesystem for Linked Templates

Allow an ARM template to reference a relative file path on the local file system for accessing Linked Templates. It seems absurd that this isn't already available. We shouldn't be forced to put our templates in a publicly available resource to retrieve them and use them in other templates.

176 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Sign in with: Microsoft
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

under review  ·  12 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  2. how to identify who created the virtual machine or any other resources under our subscription

We have a subscription. Most of my team members are admins. We are trying to clean up the resources by decommissioning the unused resources. For this, we need to know as to who created these resources so that we can directly connect with them. Is there any way?

116 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  15 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  3. An SDK to generate ARM templates programmatically

For complex topologies or higher level abstractions it is not possible to have a static template because it may be overly complicated and hard to maintain. For such scenarios it will be good to have an SDK to generate ARM templates programmatically.

Existing Client Libraries are not entirely fitting ARM template language and require workarounds to be implemented to use them for template generation.

64 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

8 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

This is something we’re thinking about, but would like to ensure that we’re providing a sufficiently robust set of capabilities within the template language syntax itself.

What scenarios are “overly complicated and hard to maintain”? This will help us understand where we need to invest.

4. Allow Renaming Of EVERYTHING! Plain And Simple

Allow renaming of every resource. Allow movement of every resource between resource groups. Allow renaming of administrator account names, passwords (yes, i know that is already there).

Come on guys and gals, It's a simple task of using pointer lists to put a layer between static configuration information and the "user" display. We absolutely have to get rid of the "one and done" during setup.

57 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  5. Azure Resource Template Architecture Visualizer

Right now - we have no option to visualize ARM template on a portal. http://armviz.io/ -is a 3rd party tool and it's not connected to a production azure environment.

We need something like it on Azure portal.

37 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  4 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  6. Enable using VSTS for Linked Templates

We manage all of our code for use with Azure in Visual Studio Team Services, including our set of ARM Templates. We are using linked templates which work really well but in order to do so we currently have to either mirror our repo out to github or our internal Stash repository, or copy the files to a storage account. We have come up with a neat solution where we publish the templates to a web app that exposes the templates via http but what we would really like to be able to do is call the linked templates directly…

35 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  1 comment  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  7. Enable Cloud Scripts as part of ARM Templates

Add the ability to run a Custom Script as part of the ARM Template (similar to what is available for VMs but this suggestion is in the context of the “subscription” you deploy to).
    The “Script Resource” could be described something like this

{
    "name": "postDeploymentScript",
    "type": "Microsoft.CloudShell/script",
    "apiVersion": "2017-08-26",
    "tags": {
    "displayName": "Post Deployment Script"
    },
    "dependsOn": [
    "[resourceId('Microsoft.DocumentDB/databaseAccounts', parameters('cosmosDBAccountName'))]"
    ],
    "properties":{
    "scriptType": "bash",
    "scriptUrl": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/krist00fer/nether/master/setup.sh",
    "scriptParameters": [
    {
    "name": "cosmosDbEndpoint",
    "value": "[reference(concat('Microsoft.DocumentDB/databaseAccounts/', parameters('cosmosDBAccountName'))).documentEndpoint]"
    },
    {
    "name": "cosmosDbKey",
    "value": "[listKeys(resourceId('Microsoft.DocumentDB/databaseAccounts', parameters('cosmosDBAccountName')), '2015-04-08').primaryMasterKey]"
    }
    ]
    }
    }

This is just an example of how it could look when…

33 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  8. Provide a Resource Manager Template Function that generates a cryptographically strong password

When one designs systems with the assumption that it would be breached at some time in the future, sharing passwords between services (IaaS or PaaS) isn’t recommended. If a password for one service is discovered by a malicious agent, it could be used to compromise other parts of the system. As such, its best to ensure each service (PaaS or IaaS) has its own unique cryptographically strong password.

Having a unique password per service also allows for easier password rotation (through Scipts, DSC and other configuration management systems).

As the number of systems (PaaS or IaaS) increases, we don’t want…

21 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

under review  ·  0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  9. Support ARM Template Deployments on Management Group Scope

Azure Resources can be deployed on subscription or resource group level, but not on management group level.
    My particular use case is the deployment of Policy Definitions & Assignments using ARM Templates. While the deployment succeeds, it's not possible to define a management group as the deployment scope. As a result, the policy definition has the subscription assigned as scope and cannot be assigned on a management group level.
    The API version 2018-05-01 supports the argument "managementGroupId". https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/rest/api/resources/policydefinitions/createorupdateatmanagementgroup

18 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

3 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  10. Support functions within the definition of parameters...

For example, instead of this...

"locations": {
    "type": "array",
    "minLength": 1,
    "allowedValues": [
    "westus",
    "eastus",
    ]
    }

... I'd prefer to write something like this:

"locations": {
    "type": "array",
    "minLength": 1,
    "allowedValues": "[providers('Microsoft.Web', 'serverfarms').Locations]"
    }

13 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

0 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →
  11. Change the location

Change the location for example change App service from western Europe to north Europe.

12 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

12. Ability to add, edit and save custom JSON templates in portal with RBAC for reuse and self-service

Ability to add, edit and save custom JSON templates in portal for reuse. Currently we can do this in Visual Studio, and you can even paste those templates in to https://portal.azure.com/#create/Microsoft.Template to deploy, but it would be nice to be able to save them for repeat use in a self-service kind of scenario for developers to use by giving them RBAC access.

Also, deploying machine this way provides no way to join them to the domain, and I've had mixed results with DSC for various reasons. Need a way to join the domain at machine creation time, preferably with credentials…

9 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

The first part of your request is under discussion – it’s something we hear frequently and are thinking about quite a bit!

For domain join, please see https://github.com/Azure/azure-quickstart-templates/tree/master/201-vm-domain-join

If you’re having issues with DSC or custom script extensions working as expected, please open an item in the Virtual Machines section – the right folks will see it there :)

13. Add cancellation option in notification pane for working request.

In some cases, request is working for long time and cannot cancel it (see attachment). User cannot decide redo it at current portal during previous request is made and still working. Request cancellation option for new portal can resolve this problem.

6 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

5 comments  ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

hi Jeff,

Thanks for your suggestion!
    Is the main reason you might want to cancel and restart the creation the fact that you can’t tell if the creation is finished or hanged? If so, would it help if there’s a progress indicator of some soft so you can tell where the creation is in the whole process?

Thanks,
    Thao

14. Fix Move-AzureResource : ResourceNotTopLevel error when moving SQL or staging environments

Move-AzureResource : ResourceNotTopLevel: Identifier '/subscriptions/***/resourceGroups/Default-SQL-AustraliaEast/providers/Microsoft.Sql/servers/***/databases/mysqldb' is not a top level resource.
    At line:1 char:66
    + Get-AzureResource -ResourceGroupName Default-SQL-AustraliaEast | Move-AzureResou ...
    + ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    + CategoryInfo : CloseError: (:) [Move-AzureResource], CloudException
    + FullyQualifiedErrorId : Microsoft.Azure.Commands.Resources.MoveAzureResourceCommand

3 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

15. Transferring subscription

I recently had my subscription transferred, your support only has access to the old portal. It has now completely broken the new portal and they have no idea how to fix it.

Seems like it may be down to them not having access to "Resource Groups" therefore not being able to complete the transfer.

Its a shame, I was enjoying the new portal and now I am stuck with no support.

2 votes
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

16. Billing History Options with Resource Move

When manipulating resources in resource groups I would like to be able to decide whether I can move unbilled costs during the move. There are scenarios where we might want to leave the costs incurred in a previous resource group and have the new resource group not have those historical costs present. At other times we might want the opposite.

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

17. Capability to rename server farm location

I suggest the capability to define my custom subcollection of your server farm, where I can define my custom name.

Example: Usually I use "West Europe", "North Europe" and "East USA" server farm.
    I will rename it in:
    - "West Europe" -> "Europe 1"
    - "North Europe" -> "Europe 2"
    - "East USA" -> "USA 1"

1 vote
    Sign in
    (thinking…)
    Signed in as (Sign out)

• Don't see your idea?